Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you not get a letter requesting return of the old one? What if they charge you for it?

If you didn't specifically request it, it would be illegal for Tesla to bill you for it. Those laws came in to protect folks from scams where merch is sent out unsolicited with an invoice, but I think it would apply here. FWIW, Tesla sent me a new NEMA 14-30 adapter a year or so ago, but I never did return the old one.

Why not just buy the US adapter? It's not really an "older" adapter, just a different part number:

TESLA PN: 1014324-00-E (US)
TESLA PN: 1059530-00-A (Canada)

Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters NEMA 14-50
I doubt they'll willingly sell me one, but I may try when I dip down to the US next month.

Interesting side note. TEUNTSLA just bought a CPO 2013 MS, it has the original UMC in the bag (or at least I'm assuming it is by how beat-up it looked) but a brand new adapter.

Just received a new UMC and updated adapter via Fedex. Wow, there is a lot of speculation here. Too bad the accompanying letter doesn't just come right out and tell us why this is being done. The letter contains marketing fluff, but little information. "Tesla is committed to continually innovating and updating its vehicles and associated equipment to create a better ownership experience...." "Please put the original version of the MC and its adapter in the box and return them to Tesla using the enclosed prepaid label". The letter does clearly say this is a pilot program being rolled out in Ontario. This is an expensive piece of kit and my old one is working fine. Kind of hate to give it back without understanding the issue. Guess I'll talk with Tesla Customer Service to hear what they say.

I agree, and from some of @FlasherZ's postings on the subject, the same 40 amp wiring is permitted in the US too, so I wonder why it's being made out as a "Canadian" thing?

Yes, it is perfectly legal to have a 50A receptacle on a 40A breaker in the US, and it's not going to change any time soon.

However, it is NOT legal to connect the Tesla UMC to a NEMA 14-50 that is connected to a 40A breaker, because regardless of your ability as a user to control the charging current, the device is rated as a 40A continuous load which requires 50A circuit rating.

There is nothing I see in Code that would restrict current to 32A. And it may not even be related to Tesla's replacement of UMC's. That may be more related to cUL listing than anything, or perhaps it could be Tesla wanting to address complaints that it keeps tripping circuit breakers for circuits installed with 40A breaker. I'm speculating on all this.

However, it is NOT legal to connect the Tesla UMC to a NEMA 14-50 that is connected to a 40A breaker, because regardless of your ability as a user to control the charging current, the device is rated as a 40A continuous load which requires 50A circuit rating.

I wonder if some Canadian inspection authority, like the ESA in Ontario came across this issue of 50 amp UMCs being connected to 40 amp stove setups and issued some sort of bulletin or directive?

I wonder if some Canadian inspection authority, like the ESA in Ontario came across this issue of 50 amp UMCs being connected to 40 amp stove setups and issued some sort of bulletin or directive?

Mike, I checked with a colleague, who works at ESA, with all of the inspectors. (He is a trainer) He made inquiries, and came up empty handed. Snippets from his responses are in some of my previous posts in this thread.

Mike, I checked with a colleague, who works at ESA, with all of the inspectors. (He is a trainer) He made inquiries, and came up empty handed. Snippets from his responses are in some of my previous posts in this thread.

I couldn't see anything either, but it might have come out of another province. Something must have happened for this to be an issue being pushed through here in Canada.

Okay that is telling. Tesla was selling without CSA approval; I'm sure they were claiming it was exempt because it is an automotive component. As I recall they were doing some things inside that probably would not meet the very strict Canadian regulations.

So they probably decided to release a version with safety certification, and they ended up backing down the power to do it.