Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay that is telling. Tesla was selling without CSA approval; I'm sure they were claiming it was exempt because it is an automotive component. As I recall they were doing some things inside that probably would not meet the very strict Canadian regulations.

So again, "something" must have happened. If Tesla were hanging their hat on the "exempt automotive component" argument, somebody must have pressured them to get it ULC approved. I just returned from a conference where a guy from UL in Chicago gave a presentation. Wish I had this info then so I could have asked about it.

The more I read about this new thing, the more I think that the pilot program is not to test the new UMC (the hardware) but more to test the reaction (or non-reaction) of the owner to the reduced charging speed.

Tesla : I give you this NEW & IMPROVED UMC for testing.
Most owner : great!
Some owners : wtf, 32amp charging?

Then gauge the reaction.

Sounds about right to me. I don't know, Tesla, this all seems rather scummy behaviour. We have "innovated" a device to be less capable - it's "new and improved"! Seriously? Do you also have some land in Florida to sell me?

Sounds about right to me. I don't know, Tesla, this all seems rather scummy behaviour. We have "innovated" a device to be less capable - it's "new and improved"! Seriously? Do you also have some land in Florida to sell me?

To be fair, it could be the other way around. They developed a device, did not get CSA or ULC approval and assumed they didn't need it. Found out they did need approval, sent in samples for certification and this is what came back.

There is an analogy to this. In my industry, there has been a lot of concern over electric meters "catching on fire", especially as older electromechanical meters are replaced by smart meters. Without going in to a bunch of detail, it is not typically the fault of the meter, but rather a problem with the meter base and/or installation. But what has come out is that electric utility meters do not have any kind of CSA or UL approvals (because as a component of the electricity distribution system, they are not required to). There is now a move afoot to have electricity meters UL approved and guess what? Things are being found and recommendations for revisions to some meter designs are being made by the testing labs.

Wonder is my HPWC UL or CSA approved?
Tesla took the right stance in doing it properly now. Think about home insurance if house burns down using a non ULC / CSA adapter. Not that they are faulty but who knows what will happen few years from now. Especially cautious now after after my ULC approved external hard drive caught fire the day before...

Tesla's website now sells a U.S. and a Canadian version of the 14-50 adapter:
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/nema-14-50

I spoke with the Montreal SC and they were clear that Tesla Motors is responding to the regulators, I urged them to be upfront about the changes to their customers. When I was last at the SC, my 14-50 adapter was swapped out without anyone telling me so.

Apparently the UMCs are being shipped out on the basis of their serial numbers, and only earlier UMCs need to be replaced.

Tesla took the right stance in doing it properly now. Think about home insurance if house burns down using a non ULC / CSA adapter.

I have no objection to them deciding to provide an approved adapter. Just don't give us the marketing ******** - this is not "innovating", this is not "new and improved" - in terms of technical specs, it's a downgrade. Stop trying to sell a downgrade as an improvement. If it isn't possible to provide 40A charging with the UMC, then say so, apologize, and provide the reason for why you need to use the new adapter rather than the old.

I also wonder why this is happening specifically in Ontario.

I have no objection to them deciding to provide an approved adapter. Just don't give us the marketing ******** - this is not "innovating", this is not "new and improved" - in terms of technical specs, it's a downgrade. Stop trying to sell a downgrade as an improvement. If it isn't possible to provide 40A charging with the UMC, then say so, apologize, and provide the reason for why you need to use the new adapter rather than the old.

I also wonder why this is happening specifically in Ontario.

Yeah, the old "spin" approach doesn't work so well in the Internet age. We'll figure it out ourselves anyway.

WRT Ontario, It's gotta be the ESA despite reports to the contrary. There have been a couple of examples lately where the ESA have reached (over-reached?) into areas around electrical safety where they wouldn't have before. My guess is someone's UMC and/or outlet burned up, the Fire Dept. contacted the ESA and the wheels got rolling.

Surprise replacement Mobile Connector in the mail

FedEx just came to my door and dropped off a box from Tesla. It has a new mobile connector in it. The letter says this one is part of a "Pilot Program" in Ontario Canada and this connector is "new and improved". There are no other details.

I am hesitant to swap out my existing one. Another owner told me new Canadian mobile connectors provide less power than their older/USA counterparts. I have no confirmation of that statement's accuracy.

Did anyone else get this?
Does anyone know what is new or improved?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    837.6 KB · Views: 163
Glad to find this thread. I just got the new UMC and 14-50 adapter by Fedex today too. I think Tesla did a bad job with the super poor explanation on a one pager in the box. I don't feel like returning my old one with out more info.

Also, they provide a new 14-50 but say NOTHING about whether or not the other adapters are OK to keep using. Obviously we have the standard 110v adapter and I purchased a 14-30 adapter for the cottage charging port that we installed (typical 30A dryer receptacle).

Someone did a poor job communicating here. Annoyed.

Yeah, the old "spin" approach doesn't work so well in the Internet age. We'll figure it out ourselves anyway.

WRT Ontario, It's gotta be the ESA despite reports to the contrary. There have been a couple of examples lately where the ESA have reached (over-reached?) into areas around electrical safety where they wouldn't have before. My guess is someone's UMC and/or outlet burned up, the Fire Dept. contacted the ESA and the wheels got rolling.

IIRC there was a garage fire in Toronto a while back. I believe the problem was traced to a bad NEMA 14-50. No doubt this is fallout from that.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone did a poor job communicating here. Annoyed.

Unfortunately Tesla rather specializes in that. It is by far the company's weakest attribute.

Last edited:
FedEx just came to my door and dropped off a box from Tesla. It has a new mobile connector in it. The letter says this one is part of a "Pilot Program" in Ontario Canada and this connector is "new and improved". There are no other details.

I am hesitant to swap out my existing one. Another owner told me new Canadian mobile connectors provide less power than their older/USA counterparts. I have no confirmation of that statement's accuracy.

Did anyone else get this?
Does anyone know what is new or improved?

If you would have read this whole discussion first, you would have the answer.

More: The sense resistor in the old 14-50 adapter is 9.1K ohms, in the new one it is 20.1K ohms. So that explains how the new maximum current is set to be different.
Reading the label on the new one with the ULC mark it says "UL Listed when used with adapter 1059530 (the new 14-50 adapter) 120/240 volts AC only 32 amps". Yes it says UL Listed at 32 amps.
So that is clear. It is UL certified only for 32 amps. Possibly UL found some issue at 40 amps.

I'm a little disappointed in Tesla for this. I bought a car that could charge at 40A, and now it can only charge at 32A. That's one thing, but the way this is presented as if it is some benefit: "Better Ownership experience" "pilot program", "new and improved MC" is frankly sneaky. What's better about it? Nothing really. I guess it's safer - maybe. I'd respect it more if they were forthcoming about why.

Wonder is my HPWC UL or CSA approved?
Tesla took the right stance in doing it properly now. Think about home insurance if house burns down using a non ULC / CSA adapter. Not that they are faulty but who knows what will happen few years from now. Especially cautious now after after my ULC approved external hard drive caught fire the day before...

Tesla took the right stance? How so? they didn't feel compelled to "improve" (derate) all the ones they sold in the US - so far. Same design aren't they?

How many people use these on a regular basis? I have only ever used the 120V adapter in my 10+ months of owning a Tesla, and I did that only once. I have never used the other connector - I am assuming it is for a 240V outlet like one would have for a clothes dryer?

How many people use these on a regular basis? I have only ever used the 120V adapter in my 10+ months of owning a Tesla, and I did that only once. I have never used the other connector - I am assuming it is for a 240V outlet like one would have for a clothes dryer?
I believe the majority of owners use the NEMA 14-50 adapter for regular charging at home.

Using UMC vs HPWC for all charging at home

Last edited: