Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pic is of the new UMC for Model 3 (not sure if it will also be for S/X) that is currently in testing. Wanted to wait a bit before posting the pic since I promised I wouldn't put it on social media right away... I wish I had asked questions on it since the UMC plug is different than how the current UMC plugs attach. Seems to have a long cord between attachment to charger and wall plug (pic shows the NEMA 5-15 plug). Let the speculation begin :)

DSCN1678_2 (Large).jpg

Maybe it works like the TurboCord which has a 5-15 that can attach an adapter to allow 240 volt charging? Perhaps the 14-50 adapter (in the top corner of the bag) plugs into the 5-15?
turbocord-dual-120v-and-240v-adapter_100455826_m.jpg

Or maybe it's the other way around and that's really a modified 14-50 plug with one pin removed to allow it to fit in 14--30 outlets as well. That could be hardwired and the 5-15 adapter would be added to that?

I have this extension cord from EVSE Adapters that allows you to plug into 14-50, 14-60 and 14-30 outlets. Yes, you'd have to adjust the amps accordingly.

NEMA_14-50R_extension_cord_for_Tesla_20_ft_1024x1024.jpg

Also, it's hard to tell but it looks from that picture like the plug might detach directly from the UMC. The way it is sitting in the wrapped up cable, it doesn't look like the cable is attached on one end.

Last edited:
Maybe it works like the TurboCord which has a 5-15 that can attach an adapter to allow 240 volt charging? Perhaps the 14-50 adapter (in the top corner of the bag) plugs into the 5-15?
View attachment 244833

Or maybe it's the other way around and that's really a modified 14-50 plug with one pin removed to allow it to fit in 14--30 outlets as well. That could be hardwired and the 5-15 adapter would be added to that?

I have this extension cord from EVSE Adapters that allows you to plug into 14-50, 14-60 and 14-30 outlets. Yes, you'd have to adjust the amps accordingly.

NEMA_14-50R_extension_cord_for_Tesla_20_ft_1024x1024.jpg

Also, it's hard to tell but it looks from that picture like the plug might detach directly from the UMC. The way it is sitting in the wrapped up cable, it doesn't look like the cable is attached on one end.
I've got that cable also, as well as a TT-30 and a 10-30 (when Tesla didn't offer the 10-30). Love their quality!

Any reason Tesla is not sharing this new UMC on their site and is this cheaper to make? Willl S & X eventually get the same UMC or will the 3 UMC be different from S&X which would be strange. Would old Tesla adapters fit this cord as I have an old 14-30 that I would like to use. Thoughts?

Any reason Tesla is not sharing this new UMC on their site and is this cheaper to make? Willl S & X eventually get the same UMC or will the 3 UMC be different from S&X which would be strange. Would old Tesla adapters fit this cord as I have an old 14-30 that I would like to use. Thoughts?
I'm sure we'll be hearing more in the next 4-6 weeks when they start delivering the Model 3 to early non-employee buyers. I'm sure it would work with the S & X but from the image above, I doubt it would work with existing UMC adapters. If it has a 'universal' plug as I speculated above, you might not need a 14-30 adapter anymore.

I'm sure we'll be hearing more in the next 4-6 weeks when they start delivering the Model 3 to early non-employee buyers. I'm sure it would work with the S & X but from the image above, I doubt it would work with existing UMC adapters. If it has a 'universal' plug as I speculated above, you might not need a 14-30 adapter anymore.

Tesla won't use universal 14-X plug (no neutral) plug for two reasons:
  • The UMC would not be able to adjust the current correctly with such a plug.
  • Such a plug is not NEMA complaint.
What I understand from the picture is that both the 5-15 and the 14-50 are pigtails and they attach to the body of the UMC (probably with some lockable connection). If they are using some standard connection, it might be cheaper to make adapters and also allows third parties to manufacture them.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Tesla won't use universal 14-X plug (no neutral) plug for two reasons:
  • The UMC would not be able to adjust the current correctly with such a plug.
  • Such a plug is not NEMA complaint.
What I understand from the picture is that both the 5-15 and the 14-50 are pigtails and they attach to the body of the UMC (probably with some lockable connection). If they are using some standard connection, it might be cheaper to make adapters and also allows third parties to manufacture them.
Yeah, when I first saw the picture, I thought it could be pigtails (which I speculated might connect directly to the UMC) but couldn't figure out what some of those other parts are in the first image. The plug/cable on the right looks like a pigtail...but the other plug (?) at the top left looks different. Also, it looks like there is something at the top right under the pigtail that isn't connected to the charging wand.

I guess we'll be finding out in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: boaterva
Pigtails have several important advantages over the current UMC adapters:
  • The low-profile plugs fit better on outdoor waterproof sockets and other tight spaces.
  • In case of loose contact that causes the adapter to overheat, you don't need to replace the UMC itself as well.
  • It is much easier for third parties to make adapters.
The UMC of the Roadster had pigtails adapter too, and had way more adapter types that the Model S/X UMC.

Pigtails have several important advantages over the current UMC adapters:
  • The low-profile plugs fit better on outdoor waterproof sockets and other tight spaces.
  • In case of loose contact that causes the adapter to overheat, you don't need to replace the UMC itself as well.
  • It is much easier for third parties to make adapters.
The UMC of the Roadster had pigtails adapter too, and had way more adapter types that the Model S/X UMC.
Interesting... about the only downside is for those that have a major collection of the old style... and that the pigtails take up more room.

I would think with the proliferation of Superchargers, most people wouldn't need many of them any longer.

Beyond the basic included ones, I have the two dryer versions, and the TT-30. That should cover most places I go where you can't find a SuC or an HPWC nearby.

Interesting... about the only downside is for those that have a major collection of the old style... and that the pigtails take up more room.

I would think with the proliferation of Superchargers, most people wouldn't need many of them any longer.

Beyond the basic included ones, I have the two dryer versions, and the TT-30. That should cover most places I go where you can't find a SuC or an HPWC nearby.
I started to collect as many of the old UMC adapters as I could before I even had my car. At one time, I had 5-20, 10-30 and 14-30 as well as a 6-50 pigtail. I sold the 10-30 and 14-30 adapters and replaced the 6-50 pigtail with a 6-50 UMC adapter so now I just have 5-15, 5-20, 6-50 (for use at my brother's) and 14-50. Thanks to the expansion of the Supercharger network, I really don't worry about charging at most locations anymore. I have gone on 1000 mile trips on the Supercharger network and not even had my UMC with me. I did take the UMC on a trip last week but only because I needed to test out a 14-50 outlet that my father paid way too much to install. I actually asked him not to install one since there are Superchargers on I-80 east and west of the town he lives in.

We just got a new MC delivered and will be opening it tonight. I'm thinking it isn't the new style shown above but could be similar to the one shown in the Model 3 charging video earlier this month.

Right, if it's *really* the CMC, it's 14-50 only and nothing else is possible. That was made for people that wanted an extra for the garage plugging in to the 14-50 socket that would never travel so they could leave the original UMC with the adapters in the car. The CMC *may* be a little more reliable since there are no pins connecting to the plug.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker