Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like the pigtalis connect directly to the new UMC, as there seem to be no cable coming from the top in the picture.
Yep, that's the last thing I speculated about in post #5 above.

Isn't that this one? It's been in the online store for at least a few weeks

Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector

We got a corded mobile connector yesterday. While it does match the one for sale on Tesla's website, it doesn't match the one shown above or in the Model 3 charging video from early last August.

We got a corded mobile connector yesterday. While it does match the one for sale on Tesla's website, it doesn't match the one shown above or in the Model 3 charging video from early last August.

Doesn't the new UMC with the 14-50 adapter attached looks almost identical to the CMC? The new UMC combines the advantages of the old UMC (adapters) and the CMC (low-profile plug) so I think it is set to replace both.

Here's current picture from Tesla store for Model 3 Mobile connector. They grow tails and are not interchangeable with current Model S and X:

NEMA_ALL.png

Older design is missing a piggy tail but may be its holes/pins/connections are not as durable or may be there's an advantage for keeping the interchangeable connecting part far away from the wall outlet where potential heat built up can develop?

adapter.jpg

Last edited:
Here's current picture from Tesla store for Model 3 Mobile connector. They grow tails and are not interchangeable with current Model S and X:

NEMA_ALL.png
Great find...so it is a pigtail (plug/cord) as I was originally thinking! Funny how they sell those but don't have the UMC itself for sale! Notice how the 14-50 and 6-50 only go up to 32 amps vs. 40 amps for the current UMC.

While the adapters aren't directly usable with the current UMC, I bet once the new UMC is offered for sale, it would work fine with an S or X, assuming it still has the same Tesla charging plug.

Nice to see they finally have a 6-20 adapter as well!

Last edited:
Great find...so it is a pigtail (plug/cord) as I was originally thinking! Funny how they sell those but don't have the UMC itself for sale! Notice how the 14-50 and 6-50 only go up to 32 amps vs. 40 amps for the current UMC.

While the adapters aren't directly usable with the current UMC, I bet once the new UMC is offered for sale, it would work fine with an S or X, assuming it still has the same Tesla charging plug.
Yeah that seems like such an odd limitation of the second gen UMC

Reactions: Canuck
When I take a trip in my 3, I guess I will be taking my S's UMC and all the different adapters I have bought and made for it. I'm assuming the 3 will only come stock with the nema 14-50 and 5-15 tails. I thought I'd just have to grab the adaptors when I took a trip in my 3, but now the old UMC will be needed too it seems. Hopefully it works. I don't see why not but I don't have any knowledge in this area.

Yeah that seems like such an odd limitation of the second gen UMC
Maybe, maybe not. In Canada, they limit the current UMC to 32 amps instead of 40 amps. Also, lots of 14-50 and 6-50 outlets only have a 40 amp breakers since they were installed for use with ranges or welders and don't expect continuous use. By limiting it to 32 amps, they are playing it safe.

I charged with a 6-50 pigtail adapter at my brother's last Christmas and found out the hard way that he only had a 40 amp fuse. It worked fine for a couple hours but then blew the fuse and I had to wait a day for Home Depot to open before I could drive out and pick up replacement fuses. I did buy the UMC 6-50 adapter when Tesla started selling it again this year but I won't be testing it out until November. I wonder if it is limited to 32 amps or if it goes all the way to 40 amps. I don't see the 32 amp disclaimer on the current 6-50 adapter.

Last edited:
I think both new and older should work fine for S, X, 3 as long as you can work with the differences in
1) Maximum Amperes (32 vs 40)
and
2) Connecting standards (pigtail vs no-pigtail)

I know we don't actually know yet, but what's your guess if we use our old UMC with a 14-50 and plug it into a Model 3:

1. Will it work?
2. If so, will it charge at 32 amps or 40 amps?

Thanks.

When I take a trip in my 3, I guess I will be taking my S's UMC and all the different adapters I have bought and made for it. I'm assuming the 3 will only come stock with the nema 14-50 and 5-15 tails. I thought I'd just have to grab the adaptors when I took a trip in my 3, but now the old UMC will be needed too it seems. Hopefully it works. I don't see why not but I don't have any knowledge in this area.

It should work fine. The "old" UMC is 100% J1772 compliant so is the 3. Will the other way around work? Unknown. If the new UMC uses CAN instead of J1772 (like the new HPWC), it should work but not guaranteed.

Edit : to be clear.
Old UMC to Model 3 : 100% sure It'll work
New UMC to Model S : will work if CAN messages are the same as the new HPWC

• Informative
I know we don't actually know yet, but what's your guess if we use our old UMC with a 14-50 and plug it into a Model 3:

1. Will it work?

Thanks.

Previous (Gen2) UMC does work with the Model 3. The owner I talked to had the Gen2 as well as the new one in his trunk. New gen UMC may have a lower amperage capability than Gen 2 (speculation) given previous speculative posts. As long as the UMC amperage is set at or above what the charge amperage Is set in the car, it should be fine. If the car charging amperage is set higher than what the UMC can handle, that may be an issue.

Previous (Gen2) UMC does work with the Model 3. The owner I talked to had the Gen2 as well as the new one in his trunk. New gen UMC may have a lower amperage capability than Gen 2 (speculation) given previous speculative posts. As long as the UMC amperage is set at or above what the charge amperage Is set in the car, it should be fine. If the car charging amperage is set higher than what the UMC can handle, that may be an issue.

The UMC tells the car what amperage it can handle. The car won't let you set it to more than that.

Reactions: KJD

1. Will it work?

Thanks.

Of course it's all speculation until we can get a hold on Model 3.

The spec on standard says:

"Home charging rate: 30 miles of range per hour (240V outlet, 32A)"

For long range, it says:

"Home charging rate: 37 miles of range per hour (240V outlet, 40A)"

Thus, I don't see why not if all conditions met:

1) The spec as above
2) Your Model 3 can handle 40A
3) Your older UMC can handle 40A
4) Your breaker is 50A circuit and can provide 40A.

• Informative
The UMC tells the car what amperage it can handle. The car won't let you set it to more than that.

Yes, the UMC tells the car based on the adaptor you use, so really it's the adaptor that's telling the car.

So it seems the question is whether the 3 will accept the old UMC's 14-50 adaptor telling it to charge at 40 amps. It guess in reply to that signal it can tell it to:

(1) take a hike and not work, or
(2) charge the car at 32 amps max even though the adaptor calls for 40, or
(3) accept the 40 and charge at 40 amps.

My guess is on number 2 but I hope it's number 3. I just think all home charging is going to be limited to 32 amps unless you have a HPWC because they are much more substantial and thus less of a fire risk but hopefully the car won't know it's the UMC and the signal asking for 40 amps is the same as when you set the dip switches to 40 amps on a HPWC (now just called a WC).

I think it's to prevent the risk of fire and also to not have to send different UMC to jurisdictions that limit 14-50's to 32 amps, like Ontario...

New UMC?
Note that Canadian UMC is the same as American. They just get a different 14-50 adapter, that tells the UMC to limit to 32A instead of 40A. I have and use both adapters as appropriate with my american UMC.

I think the 32A limitation is simply a cost saving measure, as it matches the amperage of the standard model 3 charger, and they can either use cheaper components, or have higher reliability with the same components.

Reactions: GSP and KJD
Yes, the UMC tells the car based on the adaptor you use, so really it's the adaptor that's telling the car.

So it seems the question is whether the 3 will accept the old UMC's 14-50 adaptor telling it to charge at 40 amps. It guess in reply to that signal it can tell it to:

(1) take a hike and not work, or
(2) charge the car at 32 amps max even though the adaptor calls for 40, or
(3) accept the 40 and charge at 40 amps.

My guess is on number 2 but I hope it's number 3. I just think all home charging is going to be limited to 32 amps unless you have a HPWC because they are much more substantial and thus less of a fire risk but hopefully the car won't know it's the UMC and the signal asking for 40 amps is the same as when you set the dip switches to 40 amps on a HPWC (now just called a WC).
Why would (1) even be a possibility?! J1772 just tells the car the max amperage available, then the car can take whatever it wants from that. My X doesn't refuse to charge when connected to an 80A wall connector. My Leaf that's limited to ~30A doesn't refuse to charge when connected to my 48A Tesla Wall connector (in either legacy or regular mode). I can't remember if I ever tried my UMC with my leaf (cause I got my JDapter Stub the same day I swapped my 14-50s out for wall connectors), but I'm not even interested enough to try it; I'm sure it will work.