Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the UMC tells the car based on the adaptor you use, so really it's the adaptor that's telling the car.

So it seems the question is whether the 3 will accept the old UMC's 14-50 adaptor telling it to charge at 40 amps. It guess in reply to that signal it can tell it to:

(1) take a hike and not work, or
(2) charge the car at 32 amps max even though the adaptor calls for 40, or
(3) accept the 40 and charge at 40 amps.

My guess is on number 2 but I hope it's number 3. I just think all home charging is going to be limited to 32 amps unless you have a HPWC because they are much more substantial and thus less of a fire risk but hopefully the car won't know it's the UMC and the signal asking for 40 amps is the same as when you set the dip switches to 40 amps on a HPWC (now just called a WC).

It doesn't have any what is plugged in. All it knows is that something is plugged in telling the car that it can provide 40 amps. There is no way for it to tell whether it's an old UMC or an old HPWC.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and Canuck
Why would (1) even be a possibility?! J1772 just tells the car the max amperage available, then the car can take whatever it wants from that.

Yes, I know that. I also own a Leaf and my Tesla can charge up to 80 amps -- something that is no longer available on any new Tesla.

But my car will dial down amps by itself if it doesn't like the connection and Tesla has made it much more picky when it comes to dialling down amps right after the garage fires a couple of years back. There's long threads here about that. So I can see it as a possibility that Tesla won't want want people using old UMCs to charge their 3's at 40 amps since a number of old ones will come on the market, especially from salvages vehicles, etc. If it's possible to do, I see it as possible that Tesla could tell the car to only accept 32 amps.

It doesn't have any what is plugged in. All it knows is that something is plugged in telling the car that it can provide 40 amps. There is no way for it to tell whether it's an old UMC or an HPWC.

Well that's good news to know. Thanks. I guess @ccutrer was telling me the same thing and it's not even a possibility that it won't work. That's good news.

Last edited:
Previous (Gen2) UMC does work with the Model 3. The owner I talked to had the Gen2 as well as the new one in his trunk. New gen UMC may have a lower amperage capability than Gen 2 (speculation) given previous speculative posts. As long as the UMC amperage is set at or above what the charge amperage Is set in the car, it should be fine. If the car charging amperage is set higher than what the UMC can handle, that may be an issue.
Model 3 NEMA Adapters There is a note that flat out says the higher adapters are limited to 32A.

Yes, I know that. I also own a Leaf and my Tesla can charge up to 80 amps -- something that is no longer available on any new Tesla.

But my car will dial down amps by itself if it doesn't like the connection and Tesla has made it much more picky when it comes to dialling down amps right after the garage fires a couple of years back. There's long threads here about that. So I can see it as a possibility that Tesla won't want want people using old UMCs to charge their 3's at 40 amps since a number of old ones will come on the market, especially from salvages vehicles, etc. If it's possible to do, I see it as possible that Tesla could tell the car to only accept 32 amps.
Ok riddle me this then - standard model 3 is 32A charger. LR Model 3 is 40A charger. We know both vehicles come with a UMC limited to 32A (which still seems weird to me since they already have a 40A capable UMC they could throw in with the battery upgrade). We also know a car cannot distinguish between a legacy UMC or some other 40A+ J1772 EVSE (such as a HPWC, as is deployed at thousands of destination charger locations). Given all that, why on earth would Tesla artificially limit charging to 32A from a 40A EVSE and at the same time advertise 40A charging on the LR model?! I know you're worried that Tesla wants to play it safe on 14-50s that are actually on 40A circuits, as they have shown themselves to do so in the past in Canada, but I feel that the Canadian 14-50 for old UMC, and new UMC is always limited to 32A -- the two ways of charging at home that are provided with the vehicle -- so it would actually break charging on legitimate stations (especially their own destination charging network) to try and outsmart people using old UMC at a true 40A. Heck they'll probably use it as an upsell opportunity to sell you a CMC, or a wall connector (giving them more reason to not artificially break it).

This is what I didn't know so thanks for educating me. It all makes sense now and #1 is out, even as a possibility.
Cool, we're all on the same page then. Maybe if old UMC had digital communication it would be a possibility to detect it vs. any other 40A J1772, it would be possible to block 40A charging in that one case, but still weird.

Honestly I can't wait to get my hands on a new charger and try different combos of EVSE and car, even if only to go from 80% certainty to 100% certainty of how things work in real life.

Cool, we're all on the same page then. Maybe if old UMC had digital communication it would be a possibility to detect it vs. any other 40A J1772, it would be possible to block 40A charging in that one case, but still weird.

Honestly I can't wait to get my hands on a new charger and try different combos of EVSE and car, even if only to go from 80% certainty to 100% certainty of how things work in real life.

I'm more looking forward to getting my hands on the new car. ;) (btw, my Model S long ago reduced my charging to 32 amps on my 14-50. It's fast enough, so I've never looked into it.)

• Funny
Reactions: ccutrer and Canuck
Ok riddle me this then - standard model 3 is 32A charger. LR Model 3 is 40A charger. We know both vehicles come with a UMC limited to 32A (which still seems weird to me since they already have a 40A capable UMC they could throw in with the battery upgrade). We also know a car cannot distinguish between a legacy UMC or some other 40A+ J1772 EVSE (such as a HPWC, as is deployed at thousands of destination charger locations). Given all that, why on earth would Tesla artificially limit charging to 32A from a 40A EVSE and at the same time advertise 40A charging on the LR model?!

Maybe the LR Model 3 will come with the S/X UMC instead of the new lower power Model 3 UMC.

Does the older S/X UMC require 50amp circuit or is it smart enough to dial it down ? I am ordering a LR and have 6-50 outlet on a 40amp breaker (left over from my Leaf days).
No it doesn't. I use my Canadian 14-50 when I'm at my parents house that have a 14-50 on a 40 amp breaker. A 6-50 on a 40A would require you to dial down to 32A manually in the car. But since you'll have new UMC that only does 32A, it won't matter.

Reactions: pk-sd
Does the older S/X UMC require 50amp circuit or is it smart enough to dial it down ?

It dials your car's charging setting according to which adapter you connect to it.

So if someone placed a 50A outlet on a 30A breaker circuit, it is not smart enough to know that this is not a 50A circuit and it would set your car charging setting as if it's on a 50 A circuit which would blow the fuse or start a house fire.

No it doesn't. I use my Canadian 14-50 when I'm at my parents house that have a 14-50 on a 40 amp breaker. A 6-50 on a 40A would require you to dial down to 32A manually in the car. But since you'll have new UMC that only does 32A, it won't matter.

That's good to know. I asked a MS owner if there was way to set current rate from the car, he said no, only the depth of charge. I guess he did not know.

That mean you CAN use 32 or 40 amp UMC on a 40 amp breaker.

I also found this on current S/X 40-amp UMC's user manual:

"Use only a 120 volt, 208 volt or 240 volt AC supply, 50/60 hertz wall outlet that has a dedicated and properly grounded circuit, and is rated for at least 15 amps."

Does not say that you are required to have a minimum of 50 amps circuit. Looks like it dials the charge rate down, automatically or manually.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/Mobile_Connector_Touchscreen_NA_R20160317_en_US.pdf

Reactions: SocalEV
That's good to know. I asked a MS owner if there was way to set current rate from the car, he said no, only the depth of charge. I guess he did not know.

How it works is your charging screen will have your maximum amps shaded out. In my vehicle, it's 80 amps. But when I plug in my UMC, my shaded out 80 amps will change to 40 amps without being shaded and the car will start to charge. I can dial down the 40 but not up. When I plug into my Clipper Creek 48 amp EVSE for our Leaf, it shows 48 amps that I can dial down but not up.

I also have HPWCs at home and at my cabin. At home, because I don't need 80 amps for overnight charging, I dial down the amps to 42 so each of my dual chargers share the load at 21 amps each (they are a liquid cooled high wear item so my theory is less amps = less heat = less wear). After I dial it down once, it will remember that setting and location forever so I have to dial it back up if I want to charge faster. It's never forgot the dialed down setting once for me, even after taking updates and rebooting, but others have said it does.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and pk-sd
For the Model 3 remember we also do not have confirmation on the premium charger. The PR materials talk about 40 Amps but that could just be the normal 14-50 available Amps). One TMC user has an email from the charging group at Tesla that said the charger in the PUP Model 3 (all current cars) is actually 48 Amps.

So we need someone with a car (and employees probably won't do this) to plug one into an HPWC and see what we get. :D