Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the Model 3 remember we also do not have confirmation on the premium charger. The PR materials talk about 40 Amps but that could just be the normal 14-50 available Amps). One TMC user has an email from the charging group at Tesla that said the charger in the PUP Model 3 (all current cars) is actually 48 Amps.

So we need someone with a car (and employees probably won't do this) to plug one into an HPWC and see what we get. :D

Given that the Model 3 UMC is limited to 32A, it seems less likely that The Model 3 LR has a charger that can do 48A. If this is the case, the 40A in the spec is neither the limit of the UMC nor the limit of the charger. Why post this number then?

Last edited:
Given that the Model 3 UMC is limited to 32A, it seems less likely that The Model 3 LR has a charger that can do 48A. If this is the case, the 40A in the spec is neither the limit of the UMC nor the limit of the charger, so why posting this number.
Because that's what we have been told by Tesla is the limit of the charger when you get the PUP upgrade. I'm not sure what you mean exactly. There are many cases when you are either away from home when you would want to use a destination charger HPWC with higher capacity or you may want to charge more quickly at home using other means.

The S and X at various times have had 40/80, 48, and 72 Amp chargers. The UMC for those cars can't 'fill' several of those charger versions either. So, they shouldn't have those chargers at all, by your logic?

The reason for a large charger is for when you need it, as in you need to 'refill' quickly (either to go out again quickly because you came home with a low battery, or someone else is waiting to use an HPWC, like at a hotel/B&B).

The 32 Amp of the UMC is sufficient for most people's use at home in overnight charging. If you want faster charging, you have the option of getting either an S/X UMC or an HPWC (or using a Supercharger, of course, but that's another whole topic).

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Because that's what we have been told by Tesla is the limit of the charger when you get the PUP upgrade. I'm not sure what you mean exactly. There are many cases when you are either away from home when you would want to use a destination charger HPWC with higher capacity or you may want to charge more quickly at home using other means.

The S and X at various times have had 40/80, 48, and 72 Amp chargers. The UMC for those cars can't 'fill' several of those charger versions either. So, they shouldn't have those chargers at all, by your logic?

The reason for a large charger is for when you need it, as in you need to 'refill' quickly (either to go out again quickly because you came home with a low battery, or someone else is waiting to use an HPWC, like at a hotel/B&B).

The 32 Amp of the UMC is sufficient for most people's use at home in overnight charging. If you want faster charging, you have the option of getting either an S/X UMC or an HPWC (or using a Supercharger, of course, but that's another whole topic).

I think you totally misunderstood the post. He was responding to people who speculate that the car can charge at 48 amps even though they say the limit is 40 amps. The speculation was that they said 40 amps even though the limit was really 48 amps because that's what the UMC could do, which we now know is false.

Reactions: sigmo32 and eladts
I think you totally misunderstood the post. He was responding to people who speculate that the car can charge at 48 amps even though they say the limit is 40 amps. The speculation was that they said 40 amps even though the limit was really 48 amps because that's what the UMC could do, which we now know is false.
Hm, sorry if I misinterpreted it... I think originally people had assumed the UMC was the same as the S and X version, which could do 40. Now Tesla has changed the UMC to 32 for perhaps safety reasons? The PR/Press Kit page still says the car will charge at a certain rate on a 40 Amp circuit, which is, as you say, a bit misleading, since you would need either an S/X UMC or an HPWC to do so.

As is often the case, the 'facts' as laid out by Tesla aren't the facts you think you are reading, which is; How quickly (or how many Amps can I use) can I charge when I get this car home with the items that are in the trunk? Looks like 32 Amps max is that answer.

Hm, sorry if I misinterpreted it... I think originally people had assumed the UMC was the same as the S and X version, which could do 40. Now Tesla has changed the UMC to 32 for perhaps safety reasons? The PR/Press Kit page still says the car will charge at a certain rate on a 40 Amp circuit, which is, as you say, a bit misleading, since you would need either an S/X UMC or an HPWC to do so.

As is often the case, the 'facts' as laid out by Tesla aren't the facts you think you are reading, which is; How quickly (or how many Amps can I use) can I charge when I get this car home with the items that are in the trunk? Looks like 32 Amps max is that answer.
Not really following this logic. The S/X had always had an option capability (80A or 72A) far higher than the item in the trunk and this was never an issue. This is also true of other EVs as they typically come with a basic 110V/120V cord while the onboard charger is far faster. Even the Bolt one is still a 110V/120V cord, so Tesla is going above par.

With all the talk about a permanent cord (which doesn't make much sense, since for bare minimum they should include both 5-15 and 14-50 options) and the wall end being a cable that is disconnected at the box (which means a whole lot of extra cable just to support the different options) I was a bit worried.

Glad to see it's a similar design to the old one (just pig tails this time).

With all the talk about a permanent cord (which doesn't make much sense, since for bare minimum they should include both 5-15 and 14-50 options) and the wall end being a cable that is disconnected at the box (which means a whole lot of extra cable just to support the different options) I was a bit worried.

Glad to see it's a similar design to the old one (just pig tails this time).
Exactly. I think all the permanent cord talk was because it looked like the 'CMC' and didn't look like the 'normal UMC' and we didn't know the whole cable with the plug was the pigtail where you can't tell where it disconnects. Makes sense now.

Reactions: eladts
There is a screen shot that shows a M3 charging at 48 amps and Trev at M3OC confirmed it with his factory source. I KNOW PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. I didn't save it and now I can't find the ¥%+#^?! thing............

Found it!

IMG_0384.JPG

Note the date on that is older than the recent July 28th delivery event. The press kit from the delivery event says 32A for SR and 40A for LR.
Press Kit | Tesla

They said that was for 'at home charging' nothing about level 2 away from home. Plus the new UMC is advertised to only do 32 amps. I assume that means standard and LR at home on the UMC not the HPWC.

Last edited: