Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the current UMC is a pretty dumb device. All the adapter does is have a resistor that tells the UMC what the max. Current draw is. Now, the next gen UMC for the Model 3 is a different beast, and we don’t know all it can do or not do yet.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Yes, the current UMC is a pretty dumb device. All the adapter does is have a resistor that tells the UMC what the max. Current draw is. Now, the next gen UMC for the Model 3 is a different beast, and we don’t know all it can do or not do yet.
I don't see why it needs to be any smarter. The important thing was thermal monitoring in the plug head and they've done that on the Model 3 MC.

I don't see why it needs to be any smarter. The important thing was thermal monitoring in the plug head and they've done that on the Model 3 MC.

But we don't know if that is all they have done. In addition to temperature and amperage information from the adpaters it may now include expected voltage information so the MC knows what voltage it should see as an additional "safety" feature. It could even include a security feature so that you couldn't make a third-party direct plug-in adpater.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
But we don't know if that is all they have done. In addition to temperature and amperage information from the adpaters it may now include expected voltage information so the MC knows what voltage it should see as an additional "safety" feature. It could even include a security feature so that you couldn't make a third-party direct plug-in adpater.

Exactly.

If the new adapters tel the UMC what voltage to expect, using 6-20 to 5-20 plug adapters won't work with the new UMC. There is now a 6-20 adapter for the new UMC, which never existed for the old one. Coincidence? If Tesla really want to get creative, they can also test the the neutral pin is connected with the 14-50 and 14-30 adapters, to prevent cutting it of or using non-standard extension cords. My guess is that with the Model 3, Tesla wants to make the UMC as foolproof as possible. The last thing they need is people being electrocuted and/or burning down their houses due to unsafe charging practices.

Last edited:
I have a new Model S 100D. The provided UMC Gen 2 is difficult to both insert and remove from the car's port. First off, it takes multiple tries to get it inserted correctly. Then, when I go to remove it, it takes multiple pulls.

I owned a 2013 P85 and never had a problem with my old UMC.

Is it me, is it this new UMC or is there an issue with it?

I have a new Model S 100D. The provided UMC Gen 2 is difficult to both insert and remove from the car's port. First off, it takes multiple tries to get it inserted correctly. Then, when I go to remove it, it takes multiple pulls.

I owned a 2013 P85 and never had a problem with my old UMC.

Is it me, is it this new UMC or is there an issue with it?

It is not just you! My new MX came with the 32A UMC and it was really really hard to remove and insert. Ours also have a problem with the charger where it will turn orange or red constantly. So the mobile service guy came out and gave us the original UMC with the round bag. The difference is night and day. He told us the new one is much tighter and he hates the new square bag. It is really hard to put the cable back into the little square bag and he has to do it many many times to exchange the cable for people.

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf