Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New unlimited lifetime supercharger promotion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get it that for Americans the usual car buying is something off the lot. In Europe, for new premium cars anyway, the experience is a much more standardized custom order process where the factory plays a role and the sales person is your guide in the process, not so much an adversary. Even discounts often are standardized and the only haggling really is the trade-in... (Used car sales are the same everywhere...)

It is a bit more like flying first and less like buying insurance.

Reactions: xspace
Gosh, I'm so glad to have the traditional buying experience behind me. I found nothing desirable about it, especially the false smiles, compliments and specials.......all in the name of a sale. And the 'talk to my manager' thing, can you believe we were all stuck with that routine? LOL I ordered online and never stepped into a Tesla showroom until delivery. I enjoyed a more genuine experience and had all the support I needed before the final click to order, and ever since. Agree there are trade offs, but I'm very happy with the trade I made.
^ THIS. ^

I get it that for Americans the usual car buying is something off the lot. In Europe, for new premium cars anyway, the experience is a much more standardized custom order process where the factory plays a role and the sales person is your guide in the process, not so much an adversary. Even discounts often are standardized and the only haggling really is the trade-in... (Used car sales are the same everywhere...)

Sounds nice. The Tesla purchase was my best car buying experience of ~10 purchases. Even including the fretting over which feature release was enough for me to pull the trigger. And my sales dude was good about pros/cons of various features.

I did loose out in perforated ventilated seats, but then the ones on my trade in car ripped. So I didn't feel anywhere near as bad about that going forward.

Sounds nice. The Tesla purchase was my best car buying experience of ~10 purchases. Even including the fretting over which feature release was enough for me to pull the trigger. And my sales dude was good about pros/cons of various features.

I did loose out in perforated ventilated seats, but then the ones on my trade in car ripped. So I didn't feel anywhere near as bad about that going forward.

I think the really big difference in the U.S. vs. European premium car dealership is the difference between buying a product or buying a service. In Europe we much more often buy a service of custom ordering a factory car, whereas in the U.S. the buyer is more often discussing buying product from the dealership's inventory (or inventory network). The latter, in my estimate, could be much more prone to haggling and questionable inventory management compared to custom ordering a car for the customer.

The nature of the process is, thus, quite a bit closer to what is being done with Tesla - though through a dealership, instead of an online tool.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD

Actually, come to think of it, you're right. Ordering our 2001 Mercedes SLK320, 2002 Audi TT, and 2012 Audi S5 Cabriolet, were exactly as you described. Painless. I was thinking more of several used cars I had purchased prior.

Seeing someone praising the American dealership experience is hilarious. Not sure if serious.

The American car dealership system is a network of parasitic cartels protected by franchise laws which prevent competition and ensure their brand of middleman markup and slimeball sales tactics is defended by local politicians and sales tax revenues.

anyone here took delivery between April-May 2017, do you know if you get the free supercharging now instead of only 400/yr?

Ordered 3/28 and pick up tomorrow, my DS said yesterday that I will get unlimited supercharging.

I ordered 4/30 and am expecting delivery mid-June. My DS said that any cars ordered prior to May 19 will have it.

Reactions: KJD
The American car dealership system is a network of parasitic cartels protected by franchise laws which prevent competition and ensure their brand of middleman markup and slimeball sales tactics is defended by local politicians and sales tax revenues.

This this this. This is probably just as important a reason to support Tesla as is sustainable transportation. Any retail business that cannot survive without shady, protectionist, garbage laws doesn't deserve to survive. Tesla is paving the way for direct to consumer car sales for themselves and all that follow.

I personally have zero tolerance for stealership BS. Last minute "sales manager" and "hidden screen" garbage are tools of crooks. Service plans and extended warranties are even worse. If these jokers had to survive on legitimate business dealings, they would starve and they know it. Direct to consumer auto purchases and independent, certified repair shops will save consumers millions.

Tesla is making mistakes. But they're also the only ones out there fighting the fight and funding the fight against the stealership cartels. I hope that next month when I turn in my current lease, it is the last dealership experience I ever have.

All the negativity about the traditional dealership sales experience is kind overblown. My last 6 new car purchases were fine. I emailed and texted with the sales guy, outlining exactly the specs i wanted, the price i was willing to pay. Yes, or no. I emailed several places, there was always one or two that accepted my offer, then it was a matter of choosing which place was closer to me. I never stepped foot in the dealership until the day of signing the paperwork. Of course, Tesla direct sales is great, too.

anyone here took delivery between April-May 2017, do you know if you get the free supercharging now instead of only 400/yr?
21-Apr-17: Order confirmed
16-May-17: Production started
20-May-17: New blank item under "CHARGING" appeared on my "View Spec" spec sheet. To the right of the blank item, it said, "Included"
23-May-17: Dealer verbally informed me that free unlimited supercharging is now included on my vehicle. Dealer did not know whether that FUSC follows me, or just the car.
24-May-17: Feature name was added to the previously blank feature name, so now says, "Supercharger Enabled - Included"

I hope that helps.

21-Apr-17: Order confirmed
16-May-17: Production started
20-May-17: New blank item under "CHARGING" appeared on my "View Spec" spec sheet. To the right of the blank item, it said, "Included"
23-May-17: Dealer verbally informed me that free unlimited supercharging is now included on my vehicle. Dealer did not know whether that FUSC follows me, or just the car.
24-May-17: Feature name was added to the previously blank feature name, so now says, "Supercharger Enabled - Included"

I hope that helps.
Thanks, I am seeing the same in my Tesla page.
I am disappointed that either my OA or DS replied to my email and text inquiry of this question. I am frustrating with Tesla cust svc level that they literally do not reply to my text or email from a customer that is spending $70k+......

Thanks, I am seeing the same in my Tesla page.
I am disappointed that either my OA or DS replied to my email and text inquiry of this question. I am frustrating with Tesla cust svc level that they literally do not reply to my text or email from a customer that is spending $70k+......

Yeah, the thing with Tesla is, you are just a bit in the system - not a customer with a real person on the other end making your sale and making the order for you. So someone getting back to you is more of a function of how well some CRM might be working and raising a suitable ticket to some operator, than about how good a sales-person you have taking care of you, because really - there is no sales person taking care of you much of the time with Tesla. You are just a bit in the data system...

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD and NikeWings
All the negativity about the traditional dealership sales experience is kind overblown. My last 6 new car purchases were fine. I emailed and texted with the sales guy, outlining exactly the specs i wanted, the price i was willing to pay. Yes, or no. I emailed several places, there was always one or two that accepted my offer, then it was a matter of choosing which place was closer to me. I never stepped foot in the dealership until the day of signing the paperwork. Of course, Tesla direct sales is great, too.

The biggest issue with the Tesla system is that much of the time, there really is no sales guy on the other end. Even if they theoretically assign you to someone, it doesn't mean much. It is not like at a dealership (with a factory custom-order) where you are literally the customer of this one person that custom-orders the car for you and follows through the whole process from start to finish. With Tesla it is mostly a guy who at this minute is processing a ticket that the system raised and that's about it. And they have zero influence on anything, so everythig is escalated into HQ somewhere far away...

Continuity is easily lost on the Tesla system. As said, in Europe it is not unheard of that the DS is actually in another country and is changed several times during the process. It is just completely random and purely luck whether you get someone returning your calls or emails, unless you learn to work the system and to bypass the normal customer service layers by finding someone trustworthy inside that you can keep direct touch with (which I recommend everyone does).