TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New unlimited lifetime supercharger promotion

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by JCB_Arizona, May 19, 2017.

1. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

The last few years programs have been created to "get the best deal" on a car. Yes you can order online but the way the system is set up makes more financial sense to do the face to face at a dealership. I actually had gotten pretty good at haggling. Really, all it takes is the balls to ask for a better deal, more options,better rate etc.....Having said that , I loved the Tesla buying experience. The ease of ordering and excitement of emails and progress of my build. Tesla has a long way to go in the communication department though. TMC has plenty of posts regarding "NO communication" I am still curious about this free SC move by Tesla. Is it because the system is not set up right yet?

• Like x 1
  2. pjoseph

pjoseph Member

For the 4 of you who disagreed with my post (with nothing to add) you can eat cake now.

Love the car. Detest the financials and especially the hype.

• Like x 1
  3. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

They limited supercharging with little incentive to get people to buy once the free supercharging was gone, though I think they needed to test the limited supercharging in a live environment before the Model 3 came out. The only new feature rolled out in the first half of 2017 was the regular 100D.

They have essentially extended the free supercharging to the end of this year and I suspect they will be rolling out some fairly major changes in Q1 next year that will be an incentive to buy, even if you don't get unlimited supercharging.

I am not completely happy with all the financials, but a large part of it is driven by the intense focus the investment community has on quarterly production numbers. If they were a private company, they would run much more like SpaceX who goes about getting things done with a lot less hype.

• Like x 1
  4. pjoseph

pjoseph Member

Tesla would not have survived as a private company without the periodic cash infusions. And yes, Wall Street does not look past the next quarter or so. No long term vision for there, just who can grab and run. Very hard to build a sustainable business that way.

Tesla has to keep the cars moving so the configurations change by the week. No different than the gamesmanship traditional dealers play.

And more gymnastics with the financials as to ballooning the Accounts payable on the quarterly numbers to boost the bottom line.

It is clear that S & X sales have plateaued. Gas prices being ~$2 /gallon (in Texas) does not help. Is Elon taunting the shorts this morning?

5. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

I do not think that is clear at all. 2017 YTD sales of the Model S are 25% better than 2016 YTD sales at this time last year.
    Model X sales this year are 69% better than last years comps YTD. Most other companies would love to see their numbers increase like that.

Tesla Model S Crushes Large Luxury Car Competition (H1 2017 US Sales)

• Like x 3
  6. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

Would you be kind enough to explain how that works?

• Like x 1
  7. scharlesjr

scharlesjr Member

Exactly. That doesn't make sense given increasing AP is increasing expenses hence Lowering the bottom line. At this point of Tesla's life cycle they aren't expected to turn a profit.