Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New unlimited lifetime supercharger promotion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not quite. Yes, before January 15, 2017 a new S/X came with free unlimited Supercharging for the life of the car (not tied to the owner) but from now until the end of 2017 a new S/X comes with free unlimited Supercharger for as long as the original owner has the car.

It is possible, though unlikely, that the amount of time you own the car could match the duration of your life since purchase. ;)

Actually, I understood this also to mean current owners and orderers get free SpC for their human life for Model S/Xs, even new ones (or at least one new?). The upside for Tesla that old owners have an incentive to upgrade/no adoption obstacle because they'd be losing free SpC... and they have an incentive to stick to Model S/X and not downgrade...

This being in addition to what you said plus the referral system...

Am I the ONLY one that thinks this is an awful idea without a backup plan to prevent local abuse by those trying to save a buck???????

Very shortly, there will be so many Superchargers in existence, that people will look back on all the hand wringing and fretting over Supercharger lines and wonder why so much effort and energy was expended for absolutely no productive use.

Take Barstow as an example. There will be 20 stalls lit up any moment. It will be physically impossible for Tesla's to arrive so quickly that lines will form. A Tesla car would have to exit I-15 every 60 seconds to Supercharge at Barstow. Even on a Labor Day weekend in 2018 after there are 200,000 new Model 3's on the road, there will not be more than one Tesla car driving down I-15 every minute. When it starts even getting close to that happening, Tesla simply drops another 20 stalls there.

Supercharger congestion: Never Gonna Happen :p

RT

I believe there are four scenario's:

1. You had (ordered) before 15 Jan. a S/X with unlimited supercharging (transferrable to new owner). Good for you, the unlimited supercharging on your car remains transferrable ("for the life of the car") and in addition you get unlimited supercharging ("for your life") on any new S/X you buy (the unlimited supercharging of that car will however not be transferrable - see the strategic use of the word 'current' in the second sentence)

2. You have a car without unlimited supercharging (ordered after 15 Jan or delivered after 15 April at you request). You now retroactively have unlimited supercharging on your car. That unlimited supercharging on your car is not transferrable to a new owner but "for your life" you do get unlimited supercharging if you buy a new S/X.

3. You haven't ordered a Tesla yet, but do so via a referral code: good for you, your car (but not you) will be getting unlimited supercharging (not transferrable).

4. You tomorrow order a Tesla without a referral code: no unlimited supercharging, and you'll be paying 1000 USD/EUR more.... Well obviously you won't, as you're by hypothesis reading this forum and enough people here have referral codes! Some are even blunt enough to send "please use mine" posts (I'm not sure we want that though...). Others have their code more or less discretely in their signature (hmmm, perhaps not a bad idea). Anyway, there are certainly people deserving to immediately have the reservations of newbies done through them, e.g. Tom, Mel and Robert from Talking Tesla.

Last edited:
This news does not make me very happy. This just means that we cannot ever trust Tesla at their word. Over 25,000 Teslas were delivered including mine, in Q1 because people believed that unlimited Supercharger was going away forever. And now they are bringing it back less than 2 months later. Tesla is sacrificing their integrity, simply to boost Q2 sales, it's not worth it in the long run.

@mattreidy I doubt that you would not be included in this program just because you traded up. I bought my MS100D after the free supercharging deadline and still received the email this morning.

Email content appeared to be the same as others'. The email just came from a different general manager. I wonder if this email only went out to 100D owners. Could easily be an incentive for the MS with the upcoming M3 release.

View attachment 227691 View attachment 227692 View attachment 227693 View attachment 227694
GOOD!
This is what I call good PR policy!

Interesting - they changed something last night. When I first noticed this, the message on My Tesla said it _would_ transfer to new owners when I sold the car. Now, it says it won't transfer. Here's a pic of how it looked last night:

View attachment 227715

And now, it looks like the others posted here, saying it won't transfer.

In any case, I love this! I've been planning on a long road trip this summer, so this will pay for burritos along the way! :)

I just went in to double check, my car still has this wording. AP2, delivered in Dec 2016.

I received an email. See attached screenshot.

Ok, this makes more sense, this is for referrals only and to make sure it doesn't piss anyone off who purchased this year they have been grandfathered in. From this point forward (until they change it again) the only way to get free supercharging is through a referral. Does that sound like I have it right?

Reactions: AlanSqB