Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Unplugged Performance front fascia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hydro 481

Sep 4, 2017
USA
Apparently Unplugged Performance is coming out with a new front fascia for the Model 3. Saw it on Youtuber DAErik's recent video. At first glance it looked like their Ascension front fascia. But if you look closer you'll notice this updated version is much cleaner. That was my main gripe about their old design. The bottom half was too busy looking. Looks like they cleaned it up nicely in this iteration. I just wish they didn't make it quite so pointy where it rounds off. But still, I think it's a big improvement over the stock front end. Hopefully they'll release it soon. I included comparison photos of the new and old design below.

New design
1.jpg

Old design
maxresdefault.jpg

Side by side with OEM
2.jpg

Here's a link to DAErik's video. You can see the car around 1:51.

I was trying to figure out what that double lip-look reminded me of then it finally dawned on me:
Ha! For a long time I wondered why the front end of the Model 3 looked so oddly familiar. One day it finally dawned on me. I'm a fan of the Zippy the Pinhead comic strip and some features of the head of the character of Mr. The Toad are similar. I shared my discovery with the cartoonist but he didn't reply. Probably thought I was nuts. LOL

zippyvelocitize.gif

• Funny
Reactions: hydro 481
Ha! For a long time I wondered why the front end of the Model 3 looked so oddly familiar. One day it finally dawned on me. I'm a fan of the Zippy the Pinhead comic strip and some features of the head of the character of Mr. The Toad are similar. I shared my discovery with the cartoonist but he didn't reply. Probably thought I was nuts. LOL

View attachment 455738
Once I saw this, I could never unsee it. Should’ve probably named my car daisy :p
tesla-model-3-duck-daisy-1.jpg

I love my Model 3 but I will never get used to that hideous duck bill front end. Why couldn’t they just round out the front? Would be a great looking car.
Hai+Le+Tesla+Model+3.jpg

Last edited:
Aesthetics are subjective. I prefer the OEM look over any aftermarket alternatives I have seen to date.

I also value function along with form. I am not convinced that any aftermarket front end provides a decrease in drag, and suspect that in fact they all increase drag. I am waiting for the aftermarket companies to provide wind tunnel data for their products, but as far as I know they have not.

So the aftermarket front ends are simply a case of form neglecting function.