Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New update 2021.44.25 adds customizable app launcher like Model S refresh plus other major upgrades to system.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is updated. I'm going to have to give this update a thumbs down. That's given:

1. I really liked last year's UX update.
2. I was really looking forward to this update.
3. I felt the "firmware holdouts" from last year were being extremely picky.

My thoughts after about an hour:

1. I use the trip cards and tire pressure cards all the time. Unless I am missing something, the new locations for these are a real drag. It might be tolerable if you could swipe away the car menu and when you bring it back up again it is where you left it (ie, on the trip or tire pressure screen) .. but to aid in "quick controls", every time you access car menu it goes back to the first page of controls. Meaning you'll have to dig into submenus every time you want to look at items like the trip meters or tire pressure again.

2. I used to be able to have tire pressure, and consumption graphs up .. I could swipe the graph away and bring it back up quickly just by swiping up from the bottom of the screen. Now the "swipe up" always brings up climate control.

3. The customizable bottom bar is meh. I don't use 90% of the available options. They need to make more shortcut items available for that bar like the defroster buttons and wiper controls that used to be on the bar by default. Actually I think a lot of this update would be tolerable if you could add more to the bottom bar like direct to trip meter or tire pressure.

4. Someone suggested that the UX design is being influenced by FSD. To me it seems like other changes are being influenced by music streaming. I don't stream music from a service, I play one album or playlist at a time off of my phone. I used to be able to bring up the track list full screen and scroll through it to skip around but now all you get is this weird 1/3 screen with teh tracks displayed horizontally .. which is .. wtf. My attempts at changing the size of the music player screen only results in most of the player filling up with streaming suggestions instead of the full track list.

5. I expected the "super small" autopilot icon to be an exaggeration. It isn't. It is unreasonably small IMO.

6. You get a little contextual "button strip" when you use certain controls like your brights or the wipers, which is great but it is a little too small IMO. ie, the old wiper popup control had a decently large on/off button and speed controls, making it easier to hit while you are driving. But this new button strip is much smaller. it is almost too small to be safe and goes away too quickly.

7. I think the battery screen is much worse (because they had to cram it into the car control area). I liked the transparent car + battery setup from before but now they are cramming into such a small space they might as well not bother.

8. the prior design had different actions segmented into different shapes or types of controls, making them easy to identify without actually reading the label on the control. ie, just tapping the car it was easy and distinct to hit the "glovebox" button because it was off by itself at the bottom and looked different enough than anything near it. Or any given page might have a mix of different types of controls, easily providing visual separation between areas of interest. However, the first control screen you get now is just a mass of boxes. I feel like you have to scan and read for what you want to do now, like its just a spreadsheet of buttons.

I'm going to hold out hope that this will be a work in progress and they will make this more usable as time goes on and they get enough negative feedback. Its interesting, I've been through UX changes with phones, desktop OSs etc for decades and usually I just roll with it and its mostly positive. I really feel like this is the first of any of all that I have experienced that has too many steps backwards. I'll have to actually side with the "firmware holdouts" this time I guess..

Nothing here (July 2021 vision-only Y), and nothing for the other vision-only owners in a Facebook group I’m in.

Anecdotes ≠ data, but after spending 3.5 months on the factory firmware with a 75mph autopilot speed limit, I’m less than enthusiastic about how Tesla deploys their updates.

I just got it. :)

7C18B879-3EB8-473C-B23E-5C4515B68803.jpeg

Can’t satisfy everyone.
Tesla is pretty much the only auto maker that does listen; with the CEO talking requests over twitter, and implementing them.
When they don’t make all the changes requested, they get replies like yours.
They can’t win huh. …
Yes, software updates are always tricky because, as you say, you just can’t satisfy everyone. To be honest, I really believed that people complaining about last year’s UI changes were being a little bit oversensitive and that it was not such a big deal. But now that they have removed the extremely useful and convenient trip info card I am decidedly among the whiners… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
My car is updated. I'm going to have to give this update a thumbs down. That's given:

1. I really liked last year's UX update.
2. I was really looking forward to this update.
3. I felt the "firmware holdouts" from last year were being extremely picky.

My thoughts after about an hour:

1. I use the trip cards and tire pressure cards all the time. Unless I am missing something, the new locations for these are a real drag. It might be tolerable if you could swipe away the car menu and when you bring it back up again it is where you left it (ie, on the trip or tire pressure screen) .. but to aid in "quick controls", every time you access car menu it goes back to the first page of controls. Meaning you'll have to dig into submenus every time you want to look at items like the trip meters or tire pressure again.

2. I used to be able to have tire pressure, and consumption graphs up .. I could swipe the graph away and bring it back up quickly just by swiping up from the bottom of the screen. Now the "swipe up" always brings up climate control.

3. The customizable bottom bar is meh. I don't use 90% of the available options. They need to make more shortcut items available for that bar like the defroster buttons and wiper controls that used to be on the bar by default. Actually I think a lot of this update would be tolerable if you could add more to the bottom bar like direct to trip meter or tire pressure.

4. Someone suggested that the UX design is being influenced by FSD. To me it seems like other changes are being influenced by music streaming. I don't stream music from a service, I play one album or playlist at a time off of my phone. I used to be able to bring up the track list full screen and scroll through it to skip around but now all you get is this weird 1/3 screen with teh tracks displayed horizontally .. which is .. wtf. My attempts at changing the size of the music player screen only results in most of the player filling up with streaming suggestions instead of the full track list.

5. I expected the "super small" autopilot icon to be an exaggeration. It isn't. It is unreasonably small IMO.

6. You get a little contextual "button strip" when you use certain controls like your brights or the wipers, which is great but it is a little too small IMO. ie, the old wiper popup control had a decently large on/off button and speed controls, making it easier to hit while you are driving. But this new button strip is much smaller. it is almost too small to be safe and goes away too quickly.

7. I think the battery screen is much worse (because they had to cram it into the car control area). I liked the transparent car + battery setup from before but now they are cramming into such a small space they might as well not bother.

8. the prior design had different actions segmented into different shapes or types of controls, making them easy to identify without actually reading the label on the control. ie, just tapping the car it was easy and distinct to hit the "glovebox" button because it was off by itself at the bottom and looked different enough than anything near it. Or any given page might have a mix of different types of controls, easily providing visual separation between areas of interest. However, the first control screen you get now is just a mass of boxes. I feel like you have to scan and read for what you want to do now, like its just a spreadsheet of buttons.

I'm going to hold out hope that this will be a work in progress and they will make this more usable as time goes on and they get enough negative feedback. Its interesting, I've been through UX changes with phones, desktop OSs etc for decades and usually I just roll with it and its mostly positive. I really feel like this is the first of any of all that I have experienced that has too many steps backwards. I'll have to actually side with the "firmware holdouts" this time I guess..
Sounds awful. Hopefully, the new blindspot camera feature makes up for all the downgrades you described. Has anyone tried that yet?

I got it. Went for a drive this morning and my initial 30 min impression is that it’s good. I like the new UI; it feels a hint more refined (except the icons which are a matter of taste). The climate control was easy to use. Literally just swipe up from the bottom of the screen like an iPad and you have the full climate control menu. All these reports of if taking multiple clicks to get to, or having to adjust the temp to bring up a menu, are incorrect. Music player is exactly the same, in the same spot. Blind spot cameras have no lag and are great. The seatbelt alert and other warnings are now compact banners rather than obtrusive cards; an improvement. Time will tell if I miss the easy access to tire pressure/trip computer, but I rarely used them so not super worried. It may take a couple days to retrain your muscle memory to new locations for buttons, but not a daunting update imo.

1. Where do I find the tire pressures? I have searched but so far not been able to find this.
2. hat has happened to the "Car Wash Mode"? I am unable to find it now.

They‘re in Controls/Service. The TPM is at the top and comes up automatically when you open Service. Car Wash Mode is below the Model 3 image, in the two rows of buttons, top of the right-hand stack.

Mine is a vision-only 3P. Updated this morning. First one since late Sep-early Oct.

Can’t satisfy everyone.
Tesla is pretty much the only auto maker that does listen; with the CEO talking requests over twitter, and implementing them.
When they don’t make all the changes requested, they get replies like yours.
They can’t win huh. …

They could easily win. If they stopped optimizing the UI for FSD, which not everyone wants.
Almost a million tesla owners with different opinions and feedback. You think one company can add or subtract all their feedbacks from their car at once?

LOL, it’s pretty easy to see what is messed up. They are optimizing the UI for FSD. Not everyone wants this. The feedback last year was VERY clear. Sure, there were some out of the box complaints. But it all came down to: car display area too big. Energy bar too small. Speed font too small and next to set speed. Etc. The feedback was VERY consistent.

They are optimizing the UI for FSD. Not everyone wants this.

/nod

I’ve always shrugged off the 3d imaging of the car and environment on the left side. But I don’t see any purpose for it while driving outside of FSD and it is a large waste of space at that point.

My 8 year old Ford allows for “display preferences” so you can put the data on the screen that you want. It’s too bad you cannot just select an alternate screen on the left side that does away with the car visualization and instead offers up some metrics and maybe some extra buttons. Seems something like that would be a super easy accommodation to make.

I guess as a work-around to the trip card going away you can add the Energy app to the bottom row to launch with one tap. Not ideal perhaps, but not horrible. I really rely on having the trip-average energy on-screen so I know how much to to mentally de-rate the range estimate on long trips.

Any way you shake it though, this update is going to require more driver interaction with the screen and sub menus, which is a safety downgrade. Hard pass for now from me.

I used to be able to bring up the track list full screen and scroll through it to skip around but now all you get is this weird 1/3 screen with teh tracks displayed horizontally .. which is .. wtf. My attempts at changing the size of the music player screen only results in most of the player filling up with streaming suggestions instead of the full track list.

This is incorrect now that I look at it again this morning. The playlist is still there, it’s just in a “tab” I didn’t see last night.

For those who have the update already (still waiting on mine), what is the difference between the new dark mode and the night mode that is currently on the cars?

I'm wondering the same. The cars always had the Auto, Day, Night mode that could be manually adjusted.

Still waiting on my update but I saw on a Youtube video that the audio EQ now lets you separately adjust the sub. Has anyone tested this and noticed any improvement in audio quality?