Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New update 2021.44.25 adds customizable app launcher like Model S refresh plus other major upgrades to system.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the new software. Some good features. Where is the sentry mode indicator? Also dash cam logo is always showing the red dot. Tried to not record but the dot is always there. Do you have to go into the safety feature to turn on/off dash cam and sentry mode?

My preliminary take: I like it. The pluses so far:

-UI is smoother and more responsive with a more modern look (opinions vary).
-Menus are arranged for ease of use and require less scrolling.
-Text is bolder and easier to read (e.g PRND) and the speedo is closer to the edge, more in the driver's line of sight.
-Apps are easier to find.
-The phone function is easier to navigate.
-The music streaming menus are much improved.
-To manually turn on the wipers now requires one less step to set the speed: press the stalk and set the speed. Before, I had to press the stalk, turn it on, then set the speed (or use voice commands). This is a big one for me. For those that don't use the stalk, select the car icon and it's right there in the middle.
-The blind spot feature works better than expected although the positioning of the video is up for debate. I'm OK with where it's at, but some might prefer it more to the right.
-The subwoofer is finally adjustable.

Some things that will require an adjustment period:

-Tire pressure info is now in the service menu.
-Other data visible at a glance before are now in submenus (e.g phone / wife signal info).

Some wants:

-Larger or adjustable map screen (it seemed like they've increased the size a bit, but not to what it used to be). Maybe it's adjustable now and I haven't figured out how to do it yet.
-I'd like to see bird's eye view and rear cross-traffic alert implemented. IMO, the rear camera has a wide enough field of view to allow for it.
-It would be nice to have the ability to pin cards / windows in place on the screen. So for example, if someone wanted to keep the trip info up, they could hold and drag the window to the screen and place it in predefined areas. Also, making the size adjustable would be helpful.

Overall, I give it a thumbs up and consider it a good step in the right direction based on my use case. Those that use and prioritize other features may not think so, which is understandable. I see it as a work in progress.

Just to correct myself a few more times:

They need to make more shortcut items available for that bar like the defroster buttons and wiper controls that used to be on the bar by default.

I still think it'd be nice to have additional items to add to teh bar that would not only toggle things like wipers and defrosters but now after looking at it more, those items aren't that difficult to get to. Tap the car menu for immediate access to wiper controls or swipe up from anywhere to bring up climate control for the defrosters.

Someone suggested that the UX design is being influenced by FSD. To me it seems like other changes are being influenced by music streaming. I don't stream music from a service, I play one album or playlist at a time off of my phone. I used to be able to bring up the track list full screen and scroll through it to skip around but now all you get is this weird 1/3 screen with teh tracks displayed horizontally .. which is .. wtf. My attempts at changing the size of the music player screen only results in most of the player filling up with streaming suggestions instead of the full track list.

This whole thing was strictly because they removed the generic "music" icon and the only thing I could find that seemed similar was the "streaming" app. Turns out the "bluetooth" app is what you use to manage music streaming from your phone, when I expected it to be a shortcut to manage bluetooth connections since the bluetooth icon was removed from the top part of the map. Now that I know that "bluetooth" goes directly to my phone music, it works just as it did. In fact, in some minor ways it is better than it was before.

After spending another hour or so with it, its not as bad as I thought. The trip meter / tire pressure cards being gone is still a big letdown (unless I am missing something there as well), but overall at this point I am far more comfortable with this update than I was last night. It is very "liveable" for me now vs wanting to immediately rollback after I first put it in. Maybe some of the remaining annoyances can be tuned over time to fit in better with the rest of the changes.

They could easily win. If they stopped optimizing the UI for FSD, which not everyone wants.

LOL, it’s pretty easy to see what is messed up. They are optimizing the UI for FSD. Not everyone wants this. The feedback last year was VERY clear. Sure, there were some out of the box complaints. But it all came down to: car display area too big. Energy bar too small. Speed font too small and next to set speed. Etc. The feedback was VERY consistent.
I love when people sit in their lounge chair, and say it’s super simple and easy to create a usable UI for these applications, and that all the company needs to do is listen to me, and everything will be great.
Maybe you can share a link to a super easy usable UI you programmed and designed, so we can see how it’s supposed to be done.
Lol

I keep seeing in the “tour” of the new software ( I haven’t installed yet) some shortcuts in a ribbon menu scrolling up from the vehicle in the bottom left. Sentry, charging and wipers are there. Can you get those by swiping up?
That is the first thing they show on the tour after the update is installed. After the tour, however, I have no idea how to bring that ribbon up. Pressing the car opens the full screen menus. Swiping up opens the climate controls.

I like the new layout! It's definitely cleaner, less cluttered, and more intuitive. I think it's an improvement with a lot of much-needed improvements and additions. Thanks, Tesla... but I have a few thoughts:
  1. How do you manually activate dashcam? The miniature top button is gone. I have it set to horn, but I haven't found any way to manually save without smashing the horn. I'd really like a more stealth way of camming if necessary.
  2. When navigating with North always up, the car arrow is wayyyy too far to the right. It doesn't make any sense.
  3. Is it me or is the font really tiny? I actually have to squint and lean in to see the Road/City names at the bottom of the map. The speedometer also looks smaller also. Visible, but noticeably smaller.
  4. On the same note, whose idea was it to make the music scroll bar 1 pixel tall and right along the border of the apps bar? You are guaranteed to misclick on an app, lose your place, and cause a problem. That's just no good.
  5. My favorite Apps are USB, BT, Stream, and Dashcam. I noticed if you are listening to something without the window open, it doesn't show the app you're using to listen. A few times, I've just had to guess when wanting to up the window, and I'm a bad gambler. Keeping the specific audio app you're listening to underlined, even when minimized, would fix this.
  6. I kind of wish there was way to get rid of the top-left navigation list and just have it on text under the cartoon car like when there's a maximized window. Just keep the map completely free and open.
  7. Turn signal blind spot camera... I haven't gotten used to. In the beginning, it just seems more distracting having that big flickering change on screen than just looking over your shoulder for 1/4 of a second, but that might be just me. Probably good for checking curbs in turns.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

20211224_151856.jpg

Man I was so excited, I just got an update right before I was going to leave to a family Christmas party. Got done and all it was driver profile and door unlock. Hopefully I get 44.25 next. It was like unwrapping a gift when a kid thinking it was something good and all it was is underwear. 😁🤪 Car was making some weird noises when updating though

no one seems to be talking about re-arranging stops (waypoints). I didn;'t mind it before but now you could get crazy with stops and add and remove as you want on a road trip

My biggest grip is it still has the constant notification that your speed is limited if you have speed limit set. it's always below the car. should be able to swipe it away (warn initially)

I love when people sit in their lounge chair, and say it’s super simple and easy to create a usable UI for these applications, and that all the company needs to do is listen to me, and everything will be great.
Maybe you can share a link to a super easy usable UI you programmed and designed, so we can see how it’s supposed to be done.
Lol

Never said it was super simple or easy, or that I could do it. Could you do my job? Highly doubt it.

But as for a link to one that works better? try sitting in a modern Audi or a Mercedes with MBUX. You will see that there are plenty of UI’s that utilize touch screens that are far superior. Because they don’t prioritize gimmicks and dumb ass visualizations for people who fantasize about robots driving their car. Also, I have plenty of experience with a better Tesla UI. In fact I have about 24 months and 70,000 miles of a UI that was far superior.….in my Model 3 prior to Dec 2020.

so, yeah, lol and all that.

Last edited: