Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New update 2021.44.25 adds customizable app launcher like Model S refresh plus other major upgrades to system.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That shouldn’t discount feedback. I’m not saying they didn’t do a good job, but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t be better. Or that people whom don’t have the expertise to do what they have done don’t have valid points. The best results require listening and picking out the good ideas.
Exactly. I don't get discounting criticism. You have an entire fleet of data collected making FSD and such easier to use. Criticism is just data as well.

Another Easter egg from “Monty Python And The Holy Grail”?
ECB250A0-9F67-42F6-A73E-6126AC433399.jpeg

I've now driven about 150 miles with 2021.44.25.2, mostly at night, all in the rain. I'm really starting to question how much if any real "on the road" testing was done before releasing this update. While there are some nice additions, and the obligatory cosmetic refresh every OS developer can't resist pushing on everyone, there are numerous issues that would be obvious to anyone after spending a little time behind the wheel. I find it hard to believe that they would knowingly dismiss these issues since they are all potential safety concerns. There are simple solutions to all of these, which further reinforces my suspicion there was no road testing.

Here is what stands out most after several drives:

1. All notifications appear in the lower left portion of the screen. Not only is view of this area blocked by your right arm, they also block each other:
navigation directions
turn signal blind spot camera
wiper controls (when you press the button to clear the windshield)
any notification from the car (regen limited, camera blocked or blinded (happens constantly in the rain), etc)

2. Pulling up the trip card to check mileage/consumption/etc takes your eyes off the road for far too long...not to mention reading the numbers takes too long with the small font, layout, and position. There is no voice command to do this either.

[speaking of voice commands, anyone else notice that voice commands only work when you have an LTE connection? Kinda makes voice commands worthless if you encounter spotty coverage.]

3. Turning on the defroster quickly (when your windshield suddenly starts fogging up) takes way too many steps and too much attention taken off the road, esp when on a twisty mountain road (see note above about voice commands when no LTE coverage). HUGE safety issue.

Perhaps one of those 3rd party instrument cluster displays and the S3XY buttons are the answer, but it seems like such a waste. Please Tesla, fix this.

Bug report: if you put it in reverse, then tap AC on (I swiped up), it kills the backup camera till you shift gears again.

Bug #2? Note on music screen: you might have to press the weird icon toward the top right that has a play triangle and lines to toggle on half screen as one of the three music screen sizes (including fully hidden). It is weird though, because you can ot manually hold n drag from the tiny music ribbon at bottom to the half screen… you are forced to use this toggle. Not perfect.

Reactions: ncsmith4
I've now driven about 150 miles with 2021.44.25.2, mostly at night, all in the rain. I'm really starting to question how much if any real "on the road" testing was done before releasing this update. While there are some nice additions, and the obligatory cosmetic refresh every OS developer can't resist pushing on everyone, there are numerous issues that would be obvious to anyone after spending a little time behind the wheel. I find it hard to believe that they would knowingly dismiss these issues since they are all potential safety concerns. There are simple solutions to all of these, which further reinforces my suspicion there was no road testing.

1. All notifications appear in the lower left portion of the screen. Not only is view of this area blocked by your right arm, they also block each other:
navigation directions
any notification from the car (regen limited, camera blocked or blinded (happens constantly in the rain), etc)

2. Pulling up the trip card to check mileage/consumption/etc takes your eyes off the road for far too long...not to mention reading the numbers takes too long with the small font, layout, and position. There is no voice command to do this either.

[speaking of voice commands, anyone else notice that voice commands only work when you have an LTE connection? Kinda makes voice commands worthless if you encounter spotty coverage.]

3. Turning on the defroster quickly (when your windshield suddenly starts fogging up) takes way too many steps and too much attention taken off the road, esp when on a twisty mountain road (see note above about voice commands when no LTE coverage). HUGE safety issue.

Perhaps one of those 3rd party instrument cluster displays and the S3XY buttons are the answer, but it seems like such a waste. Please Tesla, fix this.

I haven’t been hit by trying to find the new defroster yet. Sounds like another big miss.

The S3XY buttons don’t list defroster as an action yet.

The buttons are like a poor-man’s sdk. It’s pretty clear people want a lot of different things. They really should make the UI more customizable or they create some sort of sdk & app store where simple widget can be installed. There’s such a following even if they broke compatibility with ui updates I think it would still be workable. I’d be happy to spend a couple of $ to get some basic functionality more to my liking. E.g better buttons on the bottom perhaps with pop up controls.

navigation directions

Please file a NHTSA complaint if you believe there are safety issues. These issues need to be fixed.

Turning on defrosters takes too many steps? It's literally two very intuitive pushes: AC -> Defroster of choice. What am I missing? ...and why would you have to do it quickly? Frosting and fogging is gradual. Does Mr. Freeze appear outside randomly?

I do agree that the notifications should be more eye level.

• Funny
Reactions: malou
Turning on defrosters takes too many steps? It's literally two very intuitive pushes: AC -> Defroster of choice. What am I missing? ...and why would you have to do it quickly? Frosting and fogging is gradual. Does Mr. Freeze appear outside randomly?

Sounds at least twice as hard as any other car. All my previous cars had a dedicated button for this. No messing around with 2 non tactile l touch buttons.

Last week I had the windshield fog up in 2 seconds, literally, while driving in traffic in a center lane on a 35mph road.

I hit auto steer while my son in the passenger seat quickly turned in all the defrost available, and I cracked the windows.

It was horrible, but we got a clear spot in the fog in a few seconds, and we're able to change lanes and pull over to wait for the the whole car to defrost.

I still don't know exactly what happened. I think we just turned up the heat a bit, after being parked while shopping.

If we had to dig through menus it would have been a lot worse.

Windows can fog up quickly in freezing conditions if there's a lot of moisture in the car.

Give me a persistent button somewhere always on top. I do t care where.

Last week I had the windshield fog up in 2 seconds, literally, while driving in traffic in a center lane on a 35mph road.

I hit auto steer while my son in the passenger seat quickly turned in all the defrost available, and I cracked the windows.

It was horrible, but we got a clear spot in the fog in a few seconds, and we're able to change lanes and pull over to wait for the the whole car to defrost.

I still don't know exactly what happened. I think we just turned up the heat a bit, after being parked while shopping.

If we had to dig through menus it would have been a lot worse.

Windows can fog up quickly in freezing conditions if there's a lot of moisture in the car.

Give me a persistent button somewhere always on top. I do t care where.
Yep, it is shocking how fast a windshield can fog over. My most recent experience (today) was while driving up a twisty two lane mountain road.

The problem with the current setup is I have to take my eyes off the road way too long to complete the task. It is more than just glancing down to find the button....first I have to glance down and pull up the AC controls, then I have to look on the new AC panel to find where the defrosters are. At least on the old UI there was a persistent defroster button - you could glance down quickly and hit the right spot on the screen with not too much effort.

I'd also like to point out that hitting a button on a screen requires more visual attention than hitting a physical button (esp when you just pulled up a new screen) - you can't hit near the area and then feel the button. For this reason touch screen UI's require larger and more strategically placed buttons.

Another consideration is not everyone driving is a 28 year old Olympic athlete. And even the 28 year old Olympian has good and bad days. Critical features need to be quickly accessible by the least capable under the worst conditions.

Sounds at least twice as hard as any other car. All my previous cars had a dedicated button for this. No messing around with 2 non tactile l touch buttons.

Yes. Twice as hard multiplied times .20 second per push = .40 seconds. Don't strain yourself. ...and in my past cars, I had to 1) hit defrost, 2) turn off recirculate, 3) turn a knob adjust temperature, 4) turn a knob to turn fans on high. Phew, it was brutal. So hitting two buttons is a non-issue.

I'm not one to call BS, but I've lived in all four corners of the US and in all weather types. If your windows are fogging up in 2 seconds, I think you have a bigger problem. ...and it's kind of irrelevant because neither the rear or the front/side defrosters clear windows instantly. It still takes a minute or two to clear. So even if it's a neurochemically actuated instant hands-free defroster start, it'll still take a minute or two to clear.... or a minute or two, plus 2 seconds for button pushing.

I'm not a Tesla sycophant. I think there are some real problems with the software and the company in general. But unless you want a 32" screen or want to tape a keyboard to the bottom of the screen, you won't have all the options in the car as one button. You can't have a clean interface AND have one-button everything.

Anyway, I get the idea of what everyone thinks. I'll bow out now. Cheers.

Is that the left wheel? That’s volume control on the 3. How do you control the volume? It would be great if the wheels were setable. I could easily see myself switching out the AP wheel for wipers in rainy weather.
Yes, Left Scroll Wheel. Switches to this function only while wiper graphic is on the IC.

Yes. Twice as hard multiplied times .20 second per push = .40 seconds. Don't strain yourself. ...and in my past cars, I had to 1) hit defrost, 2) turn off recirculate, 3) turn a knob adjust temperature, 4) turn a knob to turn fans on high. Phew, it was brutal. So hitting two buttons is a non-issue.

I'm not one to call BS, but I've lived in all four corners of the US and in all weather types. If your windows are fogging up in 2 seconds, I think you have a bigger problem. ...and it's kind of irrelevant because neither the rear or the front/side defrosters clear windows instantly. It still takes a minute or two to clear. So even if it's a neurochemically actuated instant hands-free defroster start, it'll still take a minute or two to clear.... or a minute or two, plus 2 seconds for button pushing.

I'm not a Tesla sycophant. I think there are some real problems with the software and the company in general. But unless you want a 32" screen or want to tape a keyboard to the bottom of the screen, you won't have all the options in the car as one button. You can't have a clean interface AND have one-button everything.

Anyway, I get the idea of what everyone thinks. I'll bow out now. Cheers.
Yes, Left Scroll Wheel. Switches to this function only while wiper graphic is on the IC.
That's perfect. Problem solved. Just implement it in the Y/3. Why is it missing?

I really enjoy the new update however I have have a few suggestions I hope Tesla addresses:

The app drawer should have more apps available and allow more than 4 apps to display. The recently used app section appears to allow an additional 2 apps which would be better served for the apps you really want displayed.

Apple Music and other streaming services. There’s a rumor it is coming which I hope is true.

Add the Tire pressure and trip info cards back.

Birds eye view parking feature. This was rumored to be coming. Not sure if it is only going to be a FSD thing as I don’t have that but would definitely be a great feature to have.

Blind spot camera should move up to not cover part of the vehicle visualizations. A possible glitch with this is if you have the simplified controls open and turn on your blinker it is covered by the window. It has to close on its own or you have to manually do it to see the blind spot cameras.

Another consideration is not everyone driving is a 28 year old Olympic athlete. And even the 28 year old Olympian has good and bad days. Critical features need to be quickly accessible by the least capable under the worst conditions.

It seems like the UI is designed for expert video gamers. It'd be smart to test with their parents in adverse conditions.

Then please, just add a setting for larger/bolder text, larger tap targets, larger map/backup/sentry viewer. That scroll wheel idea for wiper speed sounds really great, too.

Getting used to the new layout, but it's plain to see the age group of the designers is limited younger eyes.

There a positives, but that no fun, so I'll complain:

HVAC must be a glitch or oversight. Touching the fan or a swipe up turns it ON. I want to change the wheel or seat heaters only please. And no, I can't use the voice controls - I am a mute, and my wife will tell you so.

I check tire pressures nearly every day - it's a thing. As a motorcycle rider it's done every ride before mounting up (or the first turn might be the last), as a driver I'll check it in the AM or sometime early in the day of driving (on a display). AI and computers are great at detecting a leak, suppose I'll adapt. If I un-mute myself, I might ask the car how my tire pressures are (don't know if that even works). But why remove such a simple thing?

I kind of like the notifications down low, but it's supposed to be smart and If I am driving I don't care if a camera is blocked, or want anything to do with the video game visualization - once the car is driving for me, yes please.

Bigger f^cking text, now. No please. Just do it. Yesterday.

Get rid of the 'frequently used icons'. It's dumb, like stupid. Muscle memory is real, seeing various icons that do different things at different times of the same drive is, yep see the stupid part.

On the icons - how difficult is it to release this in stages (new customizable icons, but seat controls on the top of the screen the same, and so on).

All that said, we love the car - and want Tesla to succeed. To do so, they will need to step the UI teams to include some more seasoned folks.