Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Update Coming Next Month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw Elon's post on twitter about a new update coming next month. Does anyone have an idea of what additional updates other than AP updates might be coming out?

Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 7.11.50 PM.png

But only for AP2 cars and so it begins that AP1 falls behind: "HW2. HW1 doesn't have enough sensors and computing power."

I predicted this in another thread months ago. Sadly, this is no surprise.

I agree entirely. As I said in a post a couple of weeks ago: I know I may be a heretic, but I am not surprised that restrictions on AP 1.0 are coming. It was always beta software and its limitations will become increasingly pronounced as AP 2.0 matures -- the future is that AP 1.0 will become non-supported legacy hardware/software. I would not be surprised that it will be forced into retirement by regulators -- this would probably be good for the safety of the public and for Tesla. I won't miss it much. The best part of owning a Tesla, in my view, is driving one.

Ugh! I'm driving the best and safest car on the planet. So what if updates don't come as quickly as suggested or hoped (never "promised").

They will come eventually. As has been said before, better to wait a while longer for a good product than right away for one that's not ready.

Ugh!

I for one am just glad that we've managed to solve all the big problems in the world, so we have all this free time to sit around and moan that the web browser in our cars is too slow or we have to manually initiate the wiping of our windshields.

Because, I mean, it would be kinda awkward if that's what we were doing while things were still totally messed up.

I honestly thought there would be a few more updates for AP1, on/off ramp, a better summon, and maybe red light/stop sign detection. Sigh.
Fun fact, ramp changes were tested with APv1 hardware at it as far back as last July. They have yet to make it into production though as you've seen.

And even more fun facts, mobile eye hardware can detect a multitude of signs including stop signs and red lights. But that hasn't been released either.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Fun fact, ramp changes were tested with APv1 hardware at it as far back as last July. They have yet to make it into production though as you've seen.

And even more fun facts, mobile eye hardware can detect a multitude of signs including stop signs and red lights. But that hasn't been released either.

The stop sign hiding in the bushes or behind the branch is the problem. It really needs to be 100%

Here are the other main points from recent tweets Elon Musk on Twitter

[new kernel] Almost there, plus much improved web browser

[coast to coast AP demo] Still on for end of year. Just software limited. Any Tesla car with HW2 (all cars built since Oct last year) will be able to do this.

[jerkiness at hwy speeds is unsettling] Yeah, control algorithm is safe, but unpleasant. New one is even safer, but super smooth.

Hopefully [sic] June for [perpendicular parking and rainsensors] too

Model 3, Model X & Model S will all have same level of Autopilot capability. It's just a matter of refining the vision & control software.

Something cool for sure [for March 31 reservation holders]​

Last edited:
Ugh! I'm driving the best and safest car on the planet. So what if updates don't come as quickly as suggested or hoped (never "promised").

They will come eventually. As has been said before, better to wait a while longer for a good product than right away for one that's not ready.

Ugh!

There's people who purchased and people who leased. I can imagine the people who leased being a bit salty that 1/6th is the lease is over and still not full AP1 parity.