TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Update Coming Next Month

Discussion in 'Model S' started by PluggedINLife, May 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

#61 commasign, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Or... the build was ready to go and then Tesla gets a cease and desist letter from MobilEye forcing them to discard basically 2 years worth of code and optimization. Tesla could have communicated this out but that would cause a lot of damage and could hurt sales, stock price, and overall momentum (which they needed to keep high in preparation for Model 3). I think it was a calculated risk to not communicate but in the end it was probably the right choice for the greater good. "Tesla feud with MobilEye delays next-gen autopilot indefinitely: software to be rebuilt from scratch" is not a headline Tesla wanted in mainstream media.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  2. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

That's the problem with software. It's a moving target. Something that looks good today, might not look as good once QA dug up something. 1 bug could hold up 99% of the functional code. Late is not good - but a whole heckofalot more forgivable than never.

People think to focus on "what about me". It's instinctual part of human nature. That's why we got all the open letters from people requesting that Tesla take back their AP1 cars within a certain window (a window that happened to include the original posters car - no surprise). Despite no one can really argue for it making business sense.

And you could be right here. We will never know and it probably won't really matter or be remembered a year, 2, or 3 from now. Just feel bad for the people who leased.

3. davinci2017

davinci2017 Member

But its still not good enough is it? Per that logic Auto-steer should not be released to the cars in its current state. It is an absolute disaster on local roads even with an attentive driver and will get you in an accident if you use it for more than a few minutes in traffic.

I too am impressed that with new hardware Tesla have managed to bring out a workable solution for Auto-steer on highways after a failed partnership, and they have come a long way, but why market differently, why commit to something you cant stick to? why put wording on your website that makes it appear like its all already there and works fantastic? None of this looks good.

If they REALLy wanted to perfect it before pushing it out, they should've run a fleet of private cars and tested the heck out of it day in and out and then and only then should have even let users unlock the feature in their cars without using ACTUAL owners as beta testers and marketing differently.

EAP when I bought the car should have said in all truthfulness, "yes we are working on this, its got ways to go, help us make it better by signing up early. here are the associated features YET to be released"

Sure that would have still gotten folks to sign up, but atleast it will be with full knowledge of what the current state is and not expecting AP1 level performance and features. It took me a full week to figure out rain-sensing wipers weren't on AP2, that Auto-steer was limited to an unusable speed and the SC's I spoke to didnt even know any of this. For the Auto-wipers, one of them even went onto tell me I was supposed to turn it ON when it rains and I had to stop it when it stopped and that was how it was supposed to work :|

The problem with a lot of people here is that they assume new comers know the full story of Tesla and the development history and want to give leeway because of that.

Love the car, love the tech, and love that they are definitely working on improving it, but hate the communication and marketing strategy and the constantly changing price/feature list without following a model year process.

• Like x 4
  4. _jal_

_jal_ Member

#64 _jal_, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Im probably a sucker, but I leased and I love my car. My car has never tried to kill me. I use AP all the time and in different environments and it's totally per my expectations. I read the Google before getting my car and understood that I might get something like what I tested and the saleswoman told me I'd *have* but that it was certainly a prediction. To me it was baked into the cost of the lease. Fwiw, my brother leased an E350 at about the same time. His lease is more. We drive to lunch each week together and he has Tesla envy. The value is there one way or another if you actually value it.

Seriously, if people are engaging AP and it swerves into oncoming traffic, summons a swarm of dementors, and shoots fire out of the cigarette lighter, then take it to the service center. It's bleeding edge technology. There may be unknown problems that segments are experiencing. But the bravado with which some banter around this ubiquitous AP "failure" is getting really tiring.

• Like x 12
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Or you could just summon your stag patronus. :)

• Like x 1
  6. _jal_

_jal_ Member

My son knows how to do that. I'm lucky when I can keep Harry Potter separate from Lord of the Rings! They're like the same story!

• Funny x 1
  7. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

I suspect if Tesla did that, it will get twisted into headline of "Tesla lost Mobileye technology, now working on a replacement which could take years" by Seeking Alpha and other media influenced by big oil/auto. Tesla may have a few thousand loyal diehard fans signing up for trial, while losing 10's of thousand new customers who will look at the headlines and be scared off.

8. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

I believe the wording on the site was still "end of December" when I ordered sometime almost mid-January and I thought o myself something about "alright, real soon now". In either case it totally did not read like "we are starting from scratch" it reads as "we have AP1 figured out already, now we are adding new features to it".

• Like x 3
  9. Kanting

Kanting Member

Looks like we need another Joshua to turn things around!

10. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

AP -- yawn, stretch, belch etc..

How about Spotify for the owners of the Classic P85+.. or the new battery architecture for the Model S, or a tow hitch for the model S or something more useful....than AP..... thats all we hear about.... I don't care... maybe when I'm 80, I will

• Like x 1
  11. oktane

oktane Active Member

Almost there = we still have no clue what we're doing.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. oktane

oktane Active Member

I vote Elon volunteers to be the driver for the coast-to-coast demo at the end of the year with his hands tied behind his back. You gotta believe in your product to run a company.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 2
  13. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Not fair the way some people throw around...but they (or He) PROMISED! in order to garner sympathy.

Never saw Elon or anyone else ever promise anything, other than what is spelled out in the purchase agreement.

They planned for things, envisioned things, hoped for things, predicted things, surmised stuff, and had target dates for so many releases.

Things can always happen to delay or cancel such plans. Attorneys have a way of stopping things from being released, that the planners never suspected. Sometime they decide to spend money and resources in different areas. Sometimes a key employee quits, or a new guy decides to go into another direction.

The evolution of Tesla has not been a straight line, but is often fluid.

Saying you were promised something, when you were not, is just out of line, unless you have that specific written promise to back up your whine...and maybe even not then :(

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  14. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Ouch, mixed feelings on your comment. I wish I could agree and dislike it all at the same time.

• Like x 1
  15. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Active Member

Think he meant no TACC. I didn't have it either on Dec 28th, 2016.

• Like x 1
  16. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

You're saying I should take my car to the service center? Because I have dash cam video of it going into the oncoming lane twice today on well marked roads, and diving for a center divider at an exit ramp. Just today in 30 miles of driving. You seriously think I'd get any reaction besides "wait for the next update"?

It's the end of May. If they can't get the car to not do that after 6 months of work, they are WAY behind. And all of that would be fine, except they made statements and sold $10,000 options based on those statements.

• Like x 2
  17. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

They'd get sued in a heartbeat if they provided relief to leaseholders and nobody else. Leases are not special. They pre-define depreciation. If they agree to one group that the cars are worth less due to their false statements, this is true for all cars. It doesn't matter if you had the car for 1 year or 10 years, you were deprived of the feature for the same amount of time.

If you believe the lessees being special, then you're saying that as long as they deliver EAP features 10 years from now, anyone that bought but didn't lease has no argument. Well, you didn't lease, so too bad! The reason you think leases are special is that you believe they'll deliver in the next few months, but there's no real history showing that. It could just as easily be 5 years as it could be 5 weeks, given the transparency of the situation.

• Like x 1
  18. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

Nope, he flat out meant no cruise at all. Early AP2 cars had no cruise at all. It was about 2 weeks to get a firmware update just to give cruise. TAAC came two months after that.

I know it's hard to believe, but that's how far behind they were when they delivered AP2 cars. Likely because they thought they'd just drop all AP1 features on the cars in December, and then realized that they were insanely behind and probably had to go get an intern to code up basic cruise so owners wouldn't go ballistic that a $100K+ car didn't have cruise at all.

New firmware for AP2.0 owners adds regular cruise control • r/teslamotors

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. googleiscoul

googleiscoul 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely......

I think besides all the problems they all have in their hands right now another big problem is slowing down for curves without changed speed limits. There are several curves I have taken on freeways and felt very uncomfortable with autopilot and especially on local roads this makes a huge problem. I don't know how they would determine how much to slow down based on the angle and distance of the curve. Another obstacle to find a solution for.

20. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

That makes sense. It doesn't make the leasor feel better but you are right it becomes a slippery slope to grant any concessions. I suppose they can buy out the residual to be on equal footing. It's just not good for the Tesla image and branding for those buyers. Even If the cold stone facts are rational people have emotions.