TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

new update of "remote S for tesla" allows summons while you are not near car?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by electrictim, Feb 4, 2016.

1. electrictim

electrictim Member

I just loaded the new version of the "remote s for tesla" and it says that it will allow you to summons your car even when you are not near it. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. My car is currently 10 miles away at the service center although it looks like I could summons forward or reverse from this app. I am afraid to try it while I cannot see the car.

Is this true? has anyone tried this? If I had a dash-cam, could I drive my car around from my phone while watching the video from the cam?

2. blee321

blee321 Member

yes I just tried it, it works but seems like it only will move the car in the forward direction...

3. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

"Summon" (summons is a court document to appear) works only when the car can sense the key, so it would work from miles away only if you had left the key inside. Someone has made it work from an upstairs office window a couple hundred feet away, but for most cases, you must be close to the car.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Please define what you mean by "drive" in this context.

At this time, the Summon command will either move the car from the driveway into the garage, in a straight line from maybe 30 ft away, or back the car out of the garage in a straight line.

In those scenarios, while the car is moving, you can stop its motion using the Tesla app.

5. blee321

blee321 Member

FALSE! Why would you say this without real personal knowledge. The app absolutely allows you to use the summon function without the key FOB in or near the car.

6. bradhs

bradhs Member

I cannot Summon unless my key fob is nearby.

7. Haggy

Haggy Member

I've never gotten the summon option with the car far away (miles away) but have gotten it when the fob wasn't nearby, such as when I was at home in a room 30 feet away with several walls between me and the car. On the other hand, I've had times I was near the car and didn't see the summon option even though the car was close enough to the fob that the handles presented. So the failure of the function to appear tells me nothing, but I know for a fact that the fob doesn't have to be near the car.

8. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

#8 MorrisonHiker, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    For now, I'm sure if you tried to remotely drive your car from your watch you could possibly receive a summons. ;-) In the future, such actions will probably be allowed and much more common.

9. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Would be a lot more useful if I can navigate left and right.

10. sorka

sorka Active Member

Screenshot_2016-02-04-13-11-01.png

11. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

No, it's true. Summons is for court, Summon is for cars.

12. AllenWong

AllenWong Member

#13 AllenWong, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    It might be possible to bypass the keyfob requirement if you unlock and remotely start your car through the app. I don't have my Tesla with me right now to test this, but if someone does, please do so and report back to us. I removed the requirement to be near the car itself. On the official app, you must turn on your device's GPS, and the Summon features only work if your device's GPS coordinates are near the car's GPS coordinates. But on Remote S, there's no need to be near your car to use the Summon features nor turn on your device's GPS.

Edit: I received confirmation from a user that you only need to turn on Keyless Start through the app to bypass the keyfob requirement. No need to unlock the car.

I fixed this in the next update which should be approved by Apple in a few days. Sorry about that. Summon forward/reverse works on the Apple Watch, though.

13. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

14. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

Just wait till the first maroon moves the car into the path of another vehicle from miles away. Hope both the developer and owner have good liability insurance.

15. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

Actually the scary case is when your car is at a bodyshop with someone working under it.

16. AllenWong

AllenWong Member

If this was a murder, this would actually be very hard to prove who did it. Anyone in the world with an internet connection and the MyTesla login to the car could have done it. How do you prove who pressed the button‽

17. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

Fortunately, the summoned Tesla is very sensitive to resistance. I doubt it would actually roll over a person in that mode.

18. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Yes; I summoned mine out of a tight parking spot today and stood behind it to see if it would stop when it sensed me and it did stop within an inch or two. And it moves so slowly.

19. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

It's not my place to tell you how to run your business, Allen, but I'm going to make the following suggestion anyway: I think you should give some serious consideration to disabling the ability to summon the car without the fob present. Here's why.

I know you are very much interested in providing your users all possible functionality. That's admirable. But I also know you were bogged down by the patent troll, and that that took quite a toll on you. I see a few issues with this. For one, you are allowing users of your app to do something that Tesla clearly does not want people to be able to do. You had an early run-in with Tesla over the graphics or name or something, as I recall, and that was settled amicably, but if you really upset the people at Tesla I imagine they could make things difficult for you. Is it really worth stirring the pot just to provide your users this one feature?

Perhaps more importantly, this is potentially a dangerous and costly feature. The reason Tesla requires the fob to be present is as an assurance that the driver is actually in the vicinity of the car, supervising what is going on, presumably so that anything going wrong can quickly be stopped. Circumventing that safety feature is risky for your users and their cars. The last thing any of us here want to see is you being sued by some fool who downloaded your app, didn't understand what was what, and damaged his car because your app gave him the ability to do that.

Again, I know your heart is in the right place in providing this feature. I just think from a business stand-point the safer thing to do is not to.

Edit: I'm going to post this in the RemoteS thread, as it really belongs there.