Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Update to Tesla Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DerbyDave

Jul 2, 2020
Kentucky
I was trying to connect to my Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector today to see if there was an update to the code. I was previously running 0.8.58. When trying to attach with my browser, it returns "404 page not found" It usually shows the configuration/summary page. When browsing directly to the IP address of the connector, it responds:

Lost connection to device
This is expected when power cycling the device, applying a software update, or making changes to certain device configuration.
You may have to reconnect to the device's Wi-Fi Access Point to continue.
When attaching directly to the Device's WiFi Access Point using the commissioning instructions, I get a new configuration page, including the option to charge only Teslas, or allow charging of any vehicles. I also notice the software is now 1.4.4. Everything looks like it is configured properly, and it is correctly connected to my home WiFi. I still cannot access the Wall Connector Summary Page through my home wi-fi, and the 404 Page Not Found still is observed as being sent as a response from the Wall Connector. Anyone else have this issue with the new update? Suggestions?

Interesting. Mine was still on 0.8.58 a week or so ago when I last checked. I just tried again on my home WiFi and I get this:
upload_2021-1-11_16-8-52.png

I don't have time at the moment to go connect on the commissioning SSID but maybe I'll poke around later.

Also the error you're getting looks more like a browser error. And I'm not sure what you mean by browsing directly to the IP address. How were you navigating to it before that you're getting a 404? It's possible it got a new IP address - mine did after downloading the 0.8.58 update.

That is what I get when going directly to the connector IP. Generally, you can go to the connectorIP/Summary, and it will provide your the current configuration. The 404 error is being sent by the web code in the connector. That "Summary" page isn't available to the connector anymore. It is a response from the connector web page. The only way you can manage the connector with this update is by using the Commissioning procedure where you use WiFi Direct to attach directly to the built-in access point of the wall connector, and attach directly to its Internal WiFi network. You have to power off the wall connector, and then it will broadcast its internal Tesla WiFi network for up to 5 minutes. Attach to that. Then you can browse to 192.168.92.1 -- its built in web address for configuration of the "home" network you want it to attach to, power settings, and the new option.

I have opened a ticket with Tesla. We'll see what they respond.

You should be able to hold the button on the handle for 5 seconds to get it to broadcast it's SSID again.

@DerbyDave when mine was updated it lost connection to my home network, I had to go through the configuration process again. Mine could have been an isolated event however.

I think this is Tesla's way of putting some security on the device.

They should include the version on this new web presentation, hopefully they will add that soon.

Reactions: DerbyDave