Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

So I’m currently on 2018.32.4 but I just got an update. Was wondering how do you find out what the update is before you install it.

I could t find out so I just get it to install now ?

Anyone any idea how you find out what the update is or what this update is if you’ve done it yourself?

Thanks

So it appears there is nothing apparent between 2018.32.4 and 2018.34.1

The release notes still say “Pin to drive” is what’s new so I’m guessing it’s big fixes and backend improvements which is still great if it makes the car better.

I’ve noticed there isn’t anything online about release notes and given all the updates over time I want to try and build a log of them do you guys have any knowledge of what’s in previous versions?

I’ve noticed there isn’t anything online about release notes

I think this is a major failing of Tesla's "approach". There are various sites (e.g. ev-fw.com) that attempt to log this stuff (people type in their version number each time ... really?!), and there may be some crowd-sourced "this is what changed". There are threads in the Model forum about what has changed (better/worse) in terms of AP ... i.e. people trying known-routes which challenging curve / intersections / etc.

Alternatively TesalFi logs all versions/date your car has received (screenshot below), and what the rest of the fleet is doing - so you can see if you fall behind.

Tesla QA on Infotainment is dreadful, thankfully the safety-critical features appear to have better test-before-release processes.

@thegruf posted this on Wednesday

"32.4 ... the phone mostly will only dial out at the second attempt; and the audo now keeps breaking up when it didnt used to, the media player prev/next buttons on the wheel dont work and other general media misbehaviour, I'm not calling this one of Tesla's better releases. We all love the updates but just too many bugs.
On top of which I set it to 100% charge one day, reset it to 90% when I left and it promptly charged right back up to a 100% the following day even though the screen was showing the 90% set value, it then had the cheek to warn me about it :rolleyes:
On the plus side AP now only occasionally tries to drive you into the hedge when passing left turns now, infact more of a nervous tick really, so a bit more relaxing than recent builds.
"

An online resource / announcement / ChangeLog of changes would be A Good Thing IMHO

ScreenShot of part of the TeslaFi display of "fleet version database". You are welcome to use my referral code WannabeOwner which extends the trial from 2-weeks to a month and gets me $5 is you then subscribe.

TFI02.jpg

TFI03.jpg

Hey,

So I’m currently on 2018.32.4 but I just got an update. Was wondering how do you find out what the update is before you install it.

I could t find out so I just get it to install now ?

Anyone any idea how you find out what the update is or what this update is if you’ve done it yourself?

Thanks
I check TMC (this site) for informal information about upcoming new software updates. It's normally several weeks after the first reports (which are generally in the US) before the option to update appears on my car so I can have a good idea about what has (or hasn't) been included (and on occasion what might be broken!). Usually someone posts a screenshot of the release notes fairly early on and then there's a lot of anecdotal discussion about what may, or may not have been included. Things like adjustments to autopilot aren't normally commented on in the release notes so watch out for lots of subjective speculation about what's changed ("car swerving more", "more regen" etc. which are more likely to vary according to day-to-day conditions & not be objectively discernible changes).

The convention seems to be to place discussion about updates under the Model S thread even though they are usually rolled out to the X and 3 at the same time. Have a look here (the Model S forum) - at the time of writing the "Software Update 2018.34" thread is on Page 3.

Version 9, when it arrives, will be a big deal and I expect there will be plenty of chatter about it from the US owners for a week or two before it starts to reach UK drivers. I also expect to see coverage in places like Electrek and Teslarati when there is a major software update.

The release notes still say “Pin to drive” is what’s new so I’m guessing it’s big fixes and backend improvements which is still great if it makes the car better.

A lot of the updates are bug fixes and tweaks to AP, regen profile etc. Only new features like PIN tend to make it into the release notes, but there are often numerous hidden tweaks that you may or may not notice over time.

There must have been a fair few bugs in the recent updates. I’m in California and left the U.K. on version 28.5. I’ve had four software update notifications since the 6th - one as we started the Fremont factory tour, which was sort of cool.

As mentioned above, TeslaFi is great for keeping track of the fleet updates, and the US TMC forum gets plenty of owner feedback.

So it appears there is nothing apparent between 2018.32.4 and 2018.34.1

I’ve noticed there isn’t anything online about release notes and given all the updates over time I want to try and build a log of them do you guys have any knowledge of what’s in previous versions?
I have this link bookmarked which gives a succinct summary of software versions to date: Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App
"Big" updates tend to be given a title in the Name column although the valuable "PIN to drive" security feature (2018.32.4) isn't mentioned. If I want any more information I have to search the forums for the relevant thread.

Having picked through the 2018.34.1 thread you may now be able to avoid the autopilot "hold the wheel" nag by moving a steering wheel scroll button or changing the distance to the car in front (in addition to / instead of applying gentle torque to the steering wheel). That said a few drivers in Europe said this option didn't work for them...

Having picked through the 2018.34.1 thread you may now be able to avoid the autopilot "hold the wheel" nag by moving a steering wheel scroll button or changing the distance to the car in front (in addition to / instead of applying gentle torque to the steering wheel). That said a few drivers in Europe said this option didn't work for them...

This definitely doesn't work for my MS in the UK.

• Informative
Reactions: cezdoc