Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New updates are WiFi only. No WiFi at home.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J

jbcarioca

so far nobody seems to have posted about this issue. For the last five years almost all of my updates were on cellular data. My building has no WiFi in the parking, nor can o find public WiFi with enough bandwidth to reach my car. I tried making a WiFi hotspot with my phone but the updates seem much too large for that. Tesla Service won’t do it unless the car is in for something else.

I cannot be the only one with this issue. What solutions are there?

so far nobody seems to have posted about this issue. For the last five years almost all of my updates were on cellular data. My building has no WiFi in the parking, nor can o find public WiFi with enough bandwidth to reach my car. I tried making a WiFi hotspot with my phone but the updates seem much too large for that. Tesla Service won’t do it unless the car is in for something else.

I cannot be the only one with this issue. What solutions are there?
Cell phone wifi hotspot is what I do. Each update is about 400-500 MB so far, so costs me about 5 bucks on google fi.

FWIW I did successfully update by parking outside my local Tesla SC after hours. I have also tried tethering to my phone, but that was too slow for the large navigation data updates I just did. I also tried a couple of Starbucks but the excellent WiFi speeds did not extend to their parking lots.

Park outside a Starbucks?

I seem to remember at some point (long ago) Tesla promised to have free wifi at all Supercharging locations, but I've never seen it and always end up tethering my phone to work on my laptop.
I do remember that ‘promise’. Should WiFi only be our upgrade option they should begin that deployment right away. I’ll not hold my breath.

• Love
Reactions: KArnold
The Service Centers won't push you a software update just for showing up there. If the car says you have an update waiting for you (on the Software screen), you can go to the Service Center and let the car connect to the SC Wi-Fi. No need to talk to the service guys or set an appointment. Wi-Fi at Superchargers would be nice.

The Service Centers won't push you a software update just for showing up there. If the car says you have an update waiting for you (on the Software screen), you can go to the Service Center and let the car connect to the SC Wi-Fi. No need to talk to the service guys or set an appointment. Wi-Fi at Superchargers would be nice.
In fact my SC insisted I could only have an updates if I had a service appointment fir something else. This is new. Since 2014 the SC's always were very helpful in that aspect and in all other respects. Now it is different. This time i was refused, albeit with apologies from my long-time service advisor.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
It does seem to help if you reboot the MCU and then connect to WiFi *if* you are in the queue for an update. No way of really telling whether you are actually in the queue, but I find if there is an available update waiting it starts fairly soon after the reboot & connection.

The new software download progress bar is also helpful, as before you'd have to look at data usage to tell if anything was going on.

I've connected my car to WiFi, but still hasn't downloaded any update. Almost seems stuck. Perhaps wifi is too weak where I park, but this has been going on for a couple of weeks now. Very frustrating.

For any given car, software updates don't appear on a daily or even weekly basis, and in fact they come at an erratic pace. I subscribe to TeslaFi on my car, and its software tracker shows I've been getting updates an average of 10 days apart, but the range is from 2 days to 29 days between updates. My car's been on its current version (2019.20.4.2) for 23 days. If I'm not mistaken, TeslaFi's software tracker is publicly accessible, even if you don't have an account:

TeslaFi.com Tesla Model S X 3 Data Logger

As you can see from that, there have been remarkably few updates over the past week or so. (Well, you'll have to take my word that it's "remarkably few;" without context, the number of updates shown is meaningless. There are days when literally many hundreds of cars register updates to a single software version.)

Why did they have to mess with something that was working. I have not received any updates in a couple of months so call the SC and they said my updates are on WiFi delay, make sure I’m connected to WiFi. It would have been nice for someone at Tesla to tell me the updates are now only WiFi. Never had a problem in 6 years and now my signal in the garage is to weak.

• Informative
JBCarioca, yes MAJOR issue with my Wi- Fi connectivity on my Model 3. After installing router next to car in garage , I still could not connect , only LTE. Months later problem solved !!!! A new " Car computer " was the remedy. From my research, I believe it is liquid cooled and located behind the glove box. Thankyou to S.C. for solving this long ongoing issue with uploading new updates. No problem since. Having a good Wi- Fi signal currently in garage.

• Informative
FWIW I did successfully update by parking outside my local Tesla SC after hours. I have also tried tethering to my phone, but that was too slow for the large navigation data updates I just did. I also tried a couple of Starbucks but the excellent WiFi speeds did not extend to their parking lots.

I do remember that ‘promise’. Should WiFi only be our upgrade option they should begin that deployment right away. I’ll not hold my breath.
Any concerns with security with our Tesla connecting to public Wifi?

I’m inherently distrusting of most public WiFi and connect only at home. Once when I was visiting relatives I left my phone in the car with hotspot going.

If the car says you have an update waiting, doesn't that mean it's already downloaded?

Any concerns with security with our Tesla connecting to public Wifi?

Yes. There are at least two potential problems with any type of public WiFi:
  • Compromised WiFi system -- If somebody breaks into Tesla's (or whoever's) WiFi equipment, they could insert data sniffers to steal your data. This could include both data to and from the car itself and data you transmit via the Tesla's browser. How important such data theft is depends on the nature of the data, of course. In a worst-case scenario, they might get enough data to drain a bank account, steal your identity, steal your car (see below), etc.
  • WiFi spoofing -- An attacker might set up a fake WiFi access point that looks like Tesla's (or whoever's) public WiFi. This might be done at a Supercharger (overpowering the legitimate signal or replacing it -- say by unplugging Tesla's legitimate WiFi antenna) or at some other random site. Your phone or car might then automatically connect to said fake access point, and whoever controls it can steal your data much as in the previous scenario.
I don't know how serious such problems are, even in theory, for Tesla vehicles themselves; they might or might not include protections. The cars do, of course, send and receive highly sensitive data -- namely, the software at the heart of every Tesla. If that's not adequately protected, an attacker could theoretically deliver a hacked software update that could do some very nasty things. (Imagine a "bricked" Tesla -- or worse, one with brakes that stop working once the car's speed exceeds 60 mph.) I sincerely hope that Tesla uses cryptographic signatures on its software images to prevent such fakery, but I honestly haven't looked into it in detail; I guess I just assumed Tesla was competent about this when I bought my car. Assuming the best on this score, WiFi spoofing or compromised networks could still lead to problems if you use the car's browser to access public Web sites with poor security practices, so caution is advised when doing so.

These types of problems are outlined in general terms in many articles; see here, for example. Such articles generally focus on WiFi as used by laptops, tablets, and cell phones, but Teslas are basically tablet computers on wheels, so exactly the same issues apply to them.

One dramatic Tesla-specific demonstration is in this video:

To the best of my knowledge, nobody has actually stolen a Tesla in the way demonstrated in the video, so that could qualify as alarmist; but the generic security issues of public WiFi are very real, and it's only a matter of time before somebody targets Teslas in some way. (I gather that some car thieves in Europe have started spoofing signals sent by wireless keyfobs and are stealing Teslas in that way, though.) As a general rule, it's best to not use public WiFi at all; and if you do use it, tell your device (car, laptop, tablet, or cell phone) to forget the network as soon as you're done using it. That will minimize the risk of the device auto-connecting to a spoofed connection in the future. When you are connected to public WiFi, be alert to security warnings. Encrypted connections, like HTTPS, provide some protection against man-in-the-middle attacks, so you may see warnings if something fishy is happening. Don't ignore those warnings; drop the connection immediately. (Unencrypted links, like HTTP, are easier to attack without provoking a warning.) If you must connect to the Internet but the WiFi is suspicious, use your cell phone to set up a WiFi hot spot instead.

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
If the car says you have an update waiting, doesn't that mean it's already downloaded?

There are two types of software update notifications. The first (and newer) alert is the one for a pending download and is hidden unless you specifically go looking for it. This is shown in the Controls screen (car icon in the lower left corner of the screen). Selecting Software at the bottom of the Controls screen shows you your current sofware/map version. If a download is pending, it's displayed here along with a message to "connect to wi-fi to download update". A download progress bar is also displayed when the software download is underway.

The second (more prominent and original) style of software update notification is the dialog box that pops up on the main screen as well as on the phone app saying a software update is available and asking if you want to install now/tonight/later. When this notification is displayed, the software update has been downloaded, processed, and is ready to be applied to your car.

• Informative
Reactions: arghx7 and srs5694
Yes. There are at least two potential problems with any type of public WiFi:
  • Compromised WiFi system -- If somebody breaks into Tesla's (or whoever's) WiFi equipment, they could insert data sniffers to steal your data. This could include both data to and from the car itself and data you transmit via the Tesla's browser. How important such data theft is depends on the nature of the data, of course. In a worst-case scenario, they might get enough data to drain a bank account, steal your identity, steal your car (see below), etc.
  • WiFi spoofing -- An attacker might set up a fake WiFi access point that looks like Tesla's (or whoever's) public WiFi. This might be done at a Supercharger (overpowering the legitimate signal or replacing it -- say by unplugging Tesla's legitimate WiFi antenna) or at some other random site. Your phone or car might then automatically connect to said fake access point, and whoever controls it can steal your data much as in the previous scenario.
I don't know how serious such problems are, even in theory, for Tesla vehicles themselves; they might or might not include protections. The cars do, of course, send and receive highly sensitive data -- namely, the software at the heart of every Tesla. If that's not adequately protected, an attacker could theoretically deliver a hacked software update that could do some very nasty things. (Imagine a "bricked" Tesla -- or worse, one with brakes that stop working once the car's speed exceeds 60 mph.) I sincerely hope that Tesla uses cryptographic signatures on its software images to prevent such fakery, but I honestly haven't looked into it in detail; I guess I just assumed Tesla was competent about this when I bought my car. Assuming the best on this score, WiFi spoofing or compromised networks could still lead to problems if you use the car's browser to access public Web sites with poor security practices, so caution is advised when doing so.

These types of problems are outlined in general terms in many articles; see here, for example. Such articles generally focus on WiFi as used by laptops, tablets, and cell phones, but Teslas are basically tablet computers on wheels, so exactly the same issues apply to them.

One dramatic Tesla-specific demonstration is in this video:

To the best of my knowledge, nobody has actually stolen a Tesla in the way demonstrated in the video, so that could qualify as alarmist; but the generic security issues of public WiFi are very real, and it's only a matter of time before somebody targets Teslas in some way. (I gather that some car thieves in Europe have started spoofing signals sent by wireless keyfobs and are stealing Teslas in that way, though.) As a general rule, it's best to not use public WiFi at all; and if you do use it, tell your device (car, laptop, tablet, or cell phone) to forget the network as soon as you're done using it. That will minimize the risk of the device auto-connecting to a spoofed connection in the future. When you are connected to public WiFi, be alert to security warnings. Encrypted connections, like HTTPS, provide some protection against man-in-the-middle attacks, so you may see warnings if something fishy is happening. Don't ignore those warnings; drop the connection immediately. (Unencrypted links, like HTTP, are easier to attack without provoking a warning.) If you must connect to the Internet but the WiFi is suspicious, use your cell phone to set up a WiFi hot spot instead.