Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New upgrade available in my app. Enhanced auto pilot for $6k. Wish they would offer accel boost for m3p.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2022 M3P only showed full self driving for 12k. checked the upgrades in the app just for fun and you can get enhanced autopilot now for 6k. Was hoping to see an acceleration boost!

What is enhanced vs what i have now?
Do we really need an acceleration boost? Most people aren’t getting anywhere close to the full potential of the car already. If you want an acceleration boost then swap the wheels out, charge to 100%, and precondition fully. That knocked almost .3 seconds off of my 1/4 times.

Left Lane
6C63BA5A-E6BB-4572-A758-F71013CDD794.jpeg

Right lane
003FB14F-CCF5-4994-946A-0D798CF86F3E.jpeg

Do we really need an acceleration boost? Most people aren’t getting anywhere close to the full potential of the car already. If you want an acceleration boost then swap the wheels out, charge to 100%, and precondition fully. That knocked almost .3 seconds off of my 1/4 times.

Left Lane
View attachment 827027

Right lane
View attachment 827026

I am tired of people saying "charge to 100%!!!! its faster!"

Cool story, but we spend literally .01% of our time at 100% charge. I want more power on tap all the time in the real world, not for pre-staged drag races. I can't exactly tell the cars I need to pass on the highway "EVERYONE PAUSE I NEED TO CHARGE BEFORE I GO AROUND YOU."

As for whether we "need" a performance boost, nobody needs a fast car. But we want them. Look at it another way - the Model 3 is not competitive with pretty much any high performance car over 80mph. I simply would like it to be middle of the pack or competitive.

Reactions: momo3605
Cool story, but we spend literally .01% of our time at 100% charge. I want more power on tap all the time in the real world

Then an EV might not be a great choice for you. There's always going to be SOME performance difference at low SoC.

As for whether we "need" a performance boost, nobody needs a fast car. But we want them. Look at it another way - the Model 3 is not competitive with pretty much any high performance car over 80mph. I simply would like it to be middle of the pack or competitive.

What's weird is, in "the real world" you keep insisting you care about, like 99% of legal driving happens below 80 mph unless you live in Germany.

Where the Model 3 is not just competitive, it crushes anything that isn't 2-3x its cost (and many that DO cost that much) other than arguably the C8 vette (and even that you need perfect launches of to make it an even race compared to the Tesla that just goes).

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
What's weird is, in "the real world" you keep insisting you care about, like 99% of legal driving happens below 80 mph unless you live in Germany.

(Moderator Edit)

Luckily, your M3P isn't fast enough to hold off literally any other $60K+ performance car over 80, (Moderator Edit)

I can't remember the last time I drove the speed limit on the highway. If I did in my area, I would be rear ended or road raged off the highway.

Where the Model 3 is not just competitive, it crushes anything that isn't 2-3x its cost (and many that DO cost that much) other than arguably the C8 vette (and even that you need perfect launches of to make it an even race compared to the Tesla that just goes).

Lol, I already posted a video of my old $40k Golf beating the M3P from a 40 roll. I own a M3P and love it, but it has no top end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then an EV might not be a great choice for you. There's always going to be SOME performance difference at low SoC.

Completely agree. If you need to go over 80+ mph to pass on most USA road, you should be on the track Or want to be on wam bamb Tesla cam video. Most of my passing is 40-70mph, the M3 will dust most cars on the road.

Reactions: brinox and mpgxsvcd
Completely agree. If you need to go over 80+ mph to pass on most USA road, you should be on the track Or want to be on wam bamb Tesla cam video. Most of my passing is 40-70mph, the M3 will dust most cars on the road.

80 isn't even as fast as the fastest speed limit in your state. Traffic averages over 80mph in many areas of the country on certain sections of interstates and it is statistically proven that driving the speed limit when it is lower than the speed of traffic is unsafe. 80mph is so tame that even Tesla lets you do autopilot up to 85mph - which, I'd point out, is the lowest limit among all of the performance sedans for cruise control. I've sat at 90+mph for hours on cruise control in other german cars.

I urge you to be a safer driver and speed with the rest of traffic. Being the traffic police makes you much less safe than the people speeding since they are going with the speed of traffic, which is indisputably the safest speed to go proven by many studies.

Last edited:
80 isn't even as fast as the fastest speed limit in your state. Traffic averages over 80mph in many areas of the country on certain sections of interstates and it is statistically proven that driving the speed limit when it is lower than the speed of traffic is unsafe. 80mph is so tame that even Tesla lets you do autopilot up to 85mph - which, I'd point out, is the lowest limit among all of the performance sedans for cruise control. I've sat at 90+mph for hours on cruise control in other german cars.

I urge you to be a safer driver and speed with the rest of traffic. Being the traffic police makes you much less safe than the people speeding since they are going with the speed of traffic, which is indisputably the safest speed to go proven by many studies.
Really?! I35 in TX - your lucky if you are doing 55-60mph with the traffic and construction. Speed limit is 65-70 depending on the city you drive through. Just did a 1600 mile road trip through 5 states, never seen 80mph on any interstate, most were 65-70.

90+, I’ll leave that to you while my sensory cameras are on to see how that works from a distance.

Just did a 1600 mile road trip through 5 states, never seen 80mph on any interstate, most were 65-70.

The speed limit is totally irrelevant to this discussion, other than me making the point for effect that there are numerous speed limits in the USA that are 80mph and one in Texas that is 85mph. The question is how fast people actually drive. If most people drive 80mph, it stands to reason performance in the 80mph region matters for a car. Are you really asserting that the average speed of traffic on major interstates in normal conditions is 65mph? I don't think anyone would be disingenuous enough to assert that since it's obviously not true to anyone who drives - it's much higher. Fact: the vast majority of drivers speed - significantly so - and any argument about "who needs to drive 80mph since the speed limit is 65mph" is frankly ridiculous in light of the fact that the national average freeway speed by drivers is higher than that.

Here is one study that showed the average normal driving sped was 66mph on interstates with a 55mph speeed limit, 74mph on interstates posted at 65mph, and 78mph on interstates that are posted at 70mph. These averages include crowded coastal interstates and take into account the speed on average, so in reality the speeds on sparsely populated stretches will be significantly higher on average.

Fact: If you are going 80mph in many, many areas of the country, not only will you be getting consistently passed by faster traffic - you're going slow enough where the cops won't look twice at you.

Last edited:
The speed limit is totally irrelevant to this discussion, other than me making the point for effect that there are numerous speed limits in the USA that are 80mph and one in Texas that is 85mph.

Fact: If you are going 80mph in many, many areas of the country, not only will you be getting consistently passed by faster traffic - you're going slow enough where the cops won't look twice at you.
Toll road speed is much faster in Texas, also where a lot of accidents and deaths happen.

The rest of your justification and argument just is not true. Just drove through IA, IN, TN, KY, NC, SC, GA and FL, not once did I see someone driving 85-90+, while I as averaging 73mph with traffic. Really, what impact does that have on range efficiency going 90+, probably a 25-35%+ hit At least. So if I do see a Tesla M3 driving like your described, I’ll presume it’s you…

Toll road speed is much faster in Texas, also where a lot of accidents and deaths happen.

The rest of your justification and argument just is not true. Just drove through IA, IN, TN, KY, NC, SC, GA and FL, not once did I see someone driving 85-90+, while I as averaging 73mph with traffic. Really, what impact does that have on range efficiency going 90+, probably a 25-35%+ hit At least. So if I do see a Tesla M3 driving like your described, I’ll presume it’s you…

As luck would have it I am driving from KY to CT this week, taking the 71-I80 route through Ohio and PA. I will make a point to take several videos of traffic going 90mph for you. Having driven this route nearly 100 times in my lifetime, I can already tell you the first one will be the stretch between Columbus and Cleveland. Speed limit 70, traffic 85+ easy all day long. Only time it is less is when you get stuck behind two semitrucks.

I will also post my efficiency numbers since this will be my first road trip in the M3P, which I expect to be fairly awful since I plan on sitting 80-90 with two extra people plus luggage.

Does EAP require hand on the wheel like(pressure on wheel or moving the scroll wheels) like standard autopilot? Navigate on autopilot is basically from on ramp to off ramp without having to do anything correct? I'm not sure it's worth 6k. I'd probably pay 3k but not thinking 6k is worth it.
I bought EAP with my M3LR at the end of 2018. This was when they temporarily stopped offering FSD and offered EAP instead. It cost $5000 and I would not say it was worth it, or even $3000.

The Summon feature is just a party trick. The advanced version that navigates through parking lots must only be used where you can see the car at all times. It will get itself stuck where I have to run out and take over manually. I never use it when it's around other cars or where it will be impeding parking lot traffic if it bails out. It -is- a cool party trick when it works, but definitely not of any practical use yet.

The original Summon only goes back and forth. It could be useful if someone parks very close to your driver side door. If your garage space is super tight, it could also help you there. Consider the price though...just not worth it. I have used it in parking lots where I get out and realize I misjudged how far I was into the space. However, it takes so long for the car to wake up and respond, that it would be faster to just get back in the car. Again, it's a part trick.

Autopark is a little better. It does an adequate job of parking, but is -super- slow. If you are good at parallel or back-in parking you will hate it. In spite of decades of driving I am still terrible at parking maneuvers; so, it could theoretically be useful. However, it's other big problem is that is often can't identify parking places. It simply won't see them; thus, you have to park manually anyway.

Navigate on Autopilot essentially does two things: it automatically changes lanes to go around slower traffic and automatically takes exits. If the exit leads to an entrance directly onto another freeway it will do that automatically (directly means a diamond-cloverleaf exit/entrance with no turns or traffic control lights or signs.) I related feature is that if you can make it change lanes by engaging the turn signals.

My opinion is that this feature -feels- like it works better than it does because the bulk of the time is spent just driving down the freeway with only a small time spent doing maneuvers. The Auto Exit does work pretty well. Occasionally, there is some exit that it decides it can't do and it warns you that it will be stopping NoAP soon. This is similar to when it takes an exit that leads to a freeway entrance. It really falls down though on it's lane changing. It has no situational awareness beyond the cars immediately around it. It will decide to go around a car when the traffic and distance to your exit assure there is no way it will get back into the exiting lane. It will also merge left for a tiny short term gain in speed. Another issue is that after it signals the lane change, there is a long pause in case you want to override it. In real life, the pause ticks off other drivers and encourages aggressive drivers to speed up and fill the hole the car thinks it's going to fill. The flip side is that when it's made a poor decision about the lane change, the pause is actually quite short to catch the error and override it. I do use NoAP but often reach up and toggle it off when the traffic conditions are causing it to make too many bogus lane changes.

On the flip side I always have standard AP engaged when I'm on the freeway. That's the TACC (Traffic Away Cruise Control and Autosteer.) That's worth every penny I paid for it. (Basic AP still wasn't a standard feature when I bought mine.) I knew some of the limitations when I bought EAP, but thought it would improve much more than it has. However, FSD became a completely different set of software so there are nearly no updates to standard or enhanced AP. E.g. the TACC portion of AP still has the phantom braking issues.

I can't remember the last time I drove the speed limit on the highway. If I did in my area, I would be rear ended or road raged off the highway.

The speed limit is totally irrelevant to this discussion, other than me making the point for effect that there are numerous speed limits in the USA that are 80mph and one in Texas that is 85mph. The question is how fast people actually drive. If most people drive 80mph, it stands to reason performance in the 80mph region matters for a car. Are you really asserting that the average speed of traffic on major interstates in normal conditions is 65mph? I don't think anyone would be disingenuous enough to assert that since it's obviously not true to anyone who drives - it's much higher. Fact: the vast majority of drivers speed - significantly so - and any argument about "who needs to drive 80mph since the speed limit is 65mph" is frankly ridiculous in light of the fact that the national average freeway speed by drivers is higher than that.

Here is one study that showed the average normal driving sped was 66mph on interstates with a 55mph speeed limit, 74mph on interstates posted at 65mph, and 78mph on interstates that are posted at 70mph. These averages include crowded coastal interstates and take into account the speed on average, so in reality the speeds on sparsely populated stretches will be significantly higher on average.

Neither you nor anyone else has defined what safety means in this context. The study you referenced defined "safety" as the probability of avoiding an accident. If we accept that as our definition for now, driving at the same speed as other drivers around you does not cause but may correlate with an increase in safety, or increasing the probability of avoiding an accident.

All else being equal, you driving at whatever speed you choose to cannot be a legal and insurance liability against your own self when someone rear-ends you. If you're driving 70mph in your area and someone rear ends you because they're driving at 85mph, then they're not driving safely. They cannot claim your inferior speed as unsafe relative to theirs and thereby cannot claim you're liable for the accident. That's not how the enforcement of liability works in terms of traffic citations and insurance works in this country. Its also one large reason why speed limits are there in the first place... They provide for assignment of liability and by extension, safety.

Also, you claim a ton of "facts" and and "proven statistics", of which nothing is supported by any evidence... The one study you referenced only discusses what and why certain demographic groups choose their highway speed the way they do. It purports absolutely nothing regarding the safety of driving at the same speed as those around you at all.

Furthermore, if its indeed a "fact" that driving 80mph in "many, many areas of the country" will result in no law enforcement traffic citations, how can that "fact" be proven and supported?

Almost everything you've claimed here is, at best, anecdotal but you try to masquerade them as fact when in reality you're just postulating what you want to be true.

All else being equal, you driving at whatever speed you choose to cannot be a legal and insurance liability against your own self when someone rear-ends you. If you're driving 70mph in your area and someone rear ends you because they're driving at 85mph, then they're not driving safely. They cannot claim your inferior speed as unsafe relative to theirs and thereby cannot claim you're liable for the accident. That's not how the enforcement of liability works in terms of traffic citations and insurance works in this country. Its also one large reason why speed limits are there in the first place... They provide for assignment of liability and by extension, safety.

This is the problem. The law is set up like how you state with low speed limits on large smooth highways with powerful cars and big variances between cars going 85+ and cars doing the speed limit of 65, where the safest way is to just have all drivers drive at the natural speed of traffic. Ideally i think there should be dynamic speed limits based on traffic at certain times of day...

Neither you nor anyone else has defined what safety means in this context. The study you referenced defined "safety" as the probability of avoiding an accident. If we accept that as our definition for now, driving at the same speed as other drivers around you does not cause but may correlate with an increase in safety, or increasing the probability of avoiding an accident.

Also, you claim a ton of "facts" and and "proven statistics", of which nothing is supported by any evidence... The one study you referenced only discusses what and why certain demographic groups choose their highway speed the way they do. It purports absolutely nothing regarding the safety of driving at the same speed as those around you at all.

Furthermore, if its indeed a "fact" that driving 80mph in "many, many areas of the country" will result in no law enforcement traffic citations, how can that "fact" be proven and supported?

Almost everything you've claimed here is, at best, anecdotal but you try to masquerade them as fact when in reality you're just postulating what you want to be true.

It is widely accepted, and there is a large research body of peer reviewed studies, that show driving the 85th percentile of traffic speed - which is almost always above the speed limit - is the safest speed. You're welcome to spend time googling research it if you want, but it's so widely known and easy to find that I don't feel compelled to waste my time proving it to you. Most people reading this either already know that to be the case or can find it with 30 seconds of googling.

Last edited:
Really?! I35 in TX - your lucky if you are doing 55-60mph with the traffic and construction. Speed limit is 65-70 depending on the city you drive through. Just did a 1600 mile road trip through 5 states, never seen 80mph on any interstate, most were 65-70.

90+, I’ll leave that to you while my sensory cameras are on to see how that works from a distance.
I25 between Colorado Springs and Denver. People average about 90+.

I80 in Wyoming and Utah have a speed limit of 80 and at that speed even the big 18 wheelers are going 85+. Everyone else is going 90+.

I’ve also done multiple road trips and most people are doing 85+. In fact just drove from Denver to SF this weekend. We pegged AP at 85 and we’re mostly being passed constantly.