Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New upgrade available in my app. Enhanced auto pilot for $6k. Wish they would offer accel boost for m3p.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the listing on Tesla's Web site, EAP includes:
  • Navigate on Autopilot
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autopark
  • Summon
  • Smart Summon
FSD includes all of the above, plus:
  • Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control
  • Coming Soon: Autosteer on city streets
So basically, EAP provides the better-tested features of what used to be the $12K FSD package, leaving the Flaky Student Driver features in the FSD package.

For historical context, about 3.5 or 4 years ago, Tesla offered an EAP package that was basically the same as the current EAP; but then they folded EAP into FSD and discontinued it as a separate package. They're just bringing back that old EAP package. Also for historical context, when I bought my Model 3 in March of 2019, Autopilot (now standard) was $3,000 and FSD was $5,000, so Tesla is now charging more for EAP than they used to charge for FSD alone. In fairness, the EAP features have improved since then, but IMHO not enough to justify the price increase. OTOH, you're kind of stuck; if you want a Tesla with EAP functionality, $6K is the price, full stop. It's not like tires, where you can slap on a third-party product.

Was hoping to see an acceleration boost!
You have the M3P - that acceleration boost was included with the car. 3.1 sec 0-60 with rollout is super fast. My bet is that the P currently draws the most power out of the electric motors - without stressing or harming them.

The M3LR with acceleration boost does 0-60 in 3.6-.3.7 secs - the P still has a big advantage out of the hole to 60, then it’s a dead heat. I wish they would offer acceleration boost for a monthly fee, especially since it would be impossible to use in the winters and snow.

Last edited:
From the listing on Tesla's Web site, EAP includes:
  • Navigate on Autopilot
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autopark
  • Summon
  • Smart Summon
FSD includes all of the above, plus:
  • Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control
  • Coming Soon: Autosteer on city streets
So basically, EAP provides the better-tested features of what used to be the $12K FSD package, leaving the Flaky Student Driver features in the FSD package.

For historical context, about 3.5 or 4 years ago, Tesla offered an EAP package that was basically the same as the current EAP; but then they folded EAP into FSD and discontinued it as a separate package. They're just bringing back that old EAP package. Also for historical context, when I bought my Model 3 in March of 2019, Autopilot (now standard) was $3,000 and FSD was $5,000, so Tesla is now charging more for EAP than they used to charge for FSD alone. In fairness, the EAP features have improved since then, but IMHO not enough to justify the price increase. OTOH, you're kind of stuck; if you want a Tesla with EAP functionality, $6K is the price, full stop. It's not like tires, where you can slap on a third-party product.
Does EAP require hand on the wheel like(pressure on wheel or moving the scroll wheels) like standard autopilot? Navigate on autopilot is basically from on ramp to off ramp without having to do anything correct? I'm not sure it's worth 6k. I'd probably pay 3k but not thinking 6k is worth it.

You have the M3P - that acceleration boost was included with the car. 3.1 sec 0-60 with rollout is super fast. My bet is that the P currently draws the most power out of the electric motors - without stressing or harming them. The M3LR with acceleration boost does 0-60 in 3.6-.3.7 secs - the P still has a big advantage out of the hole to 60, then it’s a dead heat.
Yes I know. A guy can dream tho right? lol

Does EAP require hand on the wheel like(pressure on wheel or moving the scroll wheels) like standard autopilot? Navigate on autopilot is basically from on ramp to off ramp without having to do anything correct? I'm not sure it's worth 6k. I'd probably pay 3k but not thinking 6k is worth it.
Yes, "basic" AP, EAP, and FSD all require torque be applied to the steering wheel (or fiddling with scroll wheels) to avoid nags. FSD-on-city-streets beta also uses the in-cabin camera to monitor attentiveness, and this may be coming to "lower" levels of driver assistance features soon (if not already).

NoA, as you say, automatically navigates on- and off-ramps, including the complete path from one highway to another one. It also suggests and, depending on settings, automatically makes, lane changes so as to keep at the set speed or trace a route. (If you need to be in the right lane to take an exit, EAP will get you there, for instance. At least, it's supposed to. It's not 100% accurate.) Personally, I find NoA to be more bother than it's worth; it's constantly suggesting pointless lane changes, and it gets confused about what lane to be in for exits often enough that it's annoying. It used to take ramps jerkily and slowly, but it's gotten better in the three years I've owned my car.

Of those NoA features, I find auto lane changes to be the most valuable: With AP active, I signal a lane change and the car executes it. As my car has always had this feature, I don't have firsthand experience with "basic" AP, but my understanding is that with it, when you signal a lane change, the lane centering feature goes away and you have to make the lane change manually, then re-engage AP. If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me. My second-favorite EAP feature is auto-park, but it's finicky and a bit slower than me in most cases, so I only use it about 10% of the time when parking in a public parking lot. Still, it's nice to have if I'm feeling lazy. Summon and smart summon are mostly parlor tricks; although in theory they could come in handy in some cases, in practice, in over three years I've never used them except to demonstrate them to people.

If I were buying a new Tesla today, I'd probably pass on EAP, and definitely on FSD. Both of them are overpriced. FSD might eventually be worth the $12K asking price, but it definitely isn't worth that right now, and I'm very doubtful that it will be worth it in the next few years.

Reactions: Aellinsar
Top end?! Do electric motors have a top end?
i think he just means better acceleration from like 80-140. the m3p is super impressive from like 0-80 but acceleration falls off pretty decent at 90+. I'd l wish I could have ran my Z06 I had against my M3P from a 60 or 80 roll and see what it would be. I know the m3p would destroy it 0-60 or 0-80. But I felt like the LS6 just kept pulling hard up top.

Reactions: santua
Yes, "basic" AP, EAP, and FSD all require torque be applied to the steering wheel (or fiddling with scroll wheels) to avoid nags. FSD-on-city-streets beta also uses the in-cabin camera to monitor attentiveness, and this may be coming to "lower" levels of driver assistance features soon (if not already).

NoA, as you say, automatically navigates on- and off-ramps, including the complete path from one highway to another one. It also suggests and, depending on settings, automatically makes, lane changes so as to keep at the set speed or trace a route. (If you need to be in the right lane to take an exit, EAP will get you there, for instance. At least, it's supposed to. It's not 100% accurate.) Personally, I find NoA to be more bother than it's worth; it's constantly suggesting pointless lane changes, and it gets confused about what lane to be in for exits often enough that it's annoying. It used to take ramps jerkily and slowly, but it's gotten better in the three years I've owned my car.

Of those NoA features, I find auto lane changes to be the most valuable: With AP active, I signal a lane change and the car executes it. As my car has always had this feature, I don't have firsthand experience with "basic" AP, but my understanding is that with it, when you signal a lane change, the lane centering feature goes away and you have to make the lane change manually, then re-engage AP. If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me. My second-favorite EAP feature is auto-park, but it's finicky and a bit slower than me in most cases, so I only use it about 10% of the time when parking in a public parking lot. Still, it's nice to have if I'm feeling lazy. Summon and smart summon are mostly parlor tricks; although in theory they could come in handy in some cases, in practice, in over three years I've never used them except to demonstrate them to people.

If I were buying a new Tesla today, I'd probably pass on EAP, and definitely on FSD. Both of them are overpriced. FSD might eventually be worth the $12K asking price, but it definitely isn't worth that right now, and I'm very doubtful that it will be worth it in the next few years.
So it seems like the main thing would be is just signal to lane change instead of disengaging and reengaging? I'd like to have that but don't feel it's worth it. thanks for all of the info! i might try a FSD sub if I take a road trip this summer just to try it out.

I would pay another $10-15k for another 10mph trap speed. Right now the M3P is extremely quick but not fast. It's JUST on the borderline of being fast, but not quite there. I ran a brand new Camaro SS and he consistently pulled me over 80mph. Right now, the Model 3 will be pulled on pretty hard by every single Camaro SS, Mustang 5.0, BMW M2/M3/M4/M5/M6, BMW X3M, X5M, most Mercedes AMG, every C7 and C8 Corvette over 80mph. The reality of the matter is that while the M3P is faster than 90% of performance cars 0-80mph, it is also slower than 90% of performance cars 80mph+.

If this car trapped 128 instead of 118 that would make the M3P an absolute, zero compromises home run for me.

I do not want a Model S; they are huge cars and I prefer small cars. I want a faster small EV. In the meantime, I will still really continue enjoying my M3P - at least from 0-80mph.

I would pay another $10-15k for another 10mph trap speed. Right now the M3P is extremely quick but not fast. It's JUST on the borderline of being fast, but not quite there. I ran a brand new Camaro SS and he consistently pulled me over 80mph. Right now, the Model 3 will be pulled on pretty hard by every single Camaro SS, Mustang 5.0, BMW M2/M3/M4/M5/M6, BMW X3M, X5M, most Mercedes AMG, every C7 and C8 Corvette over 80mph. The reality of the matter is that while the M3P is faster than 90% of performance cars 0-80mph, it is also slower than 90% of performance cars 80mph+.

If this car trapped 128 instead of 118 that would make the M3P an absolute, zero compromises home run for me.

I do not want a Model S; they are huge cars and I prefer small cars. I want a faster small EV. In the meantime, I will still really continue enjoying my M3P - at least from 0-80mph.
Agree 100%. I think the M3P is probably capable of doing so, or at least I would assume so. I think there is a thread somewhere here discussing this very topic.

I love how we totally hi-jacked this thread 😅. Sorry OP.

• Funny
Reactions: MaskedRacerX

exactly what i posted almost. from 0-80 its a monster. 80+ not so much.