Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New upper trunk molding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
saw this on Reddit. Apparently there is an upper trunk molding that was added around January. I have vin 8XXX and it’s not there. Wonder if the service center would add this for free. Sure does make the trunk look a little cleaner. Anyone else notice this and any luck getting it added? Note: Not my picture.

Attachments

• EDD038B2-750F-46E2-B8D5-3CADE50140D2.jpeg
    EDD038B2-750F-46E2-B8D5-3CADE50140D2.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 654
  • Informative
Reactions: fseir and RBowen
I asked the SC if they could install this part and they said that part was only available on certain configurations. Specifically they stated it was only on cars that didn’t have the premium package that contained the upgraded stereo and subwoofer. I stated that I thought the only configurations being built were the premiums and they said that wasn’t the case. He said for cars without subwoofers they have that molding. For cars with subwoofers and the premium package it didn’t. He agreed it didn’t make sense but that’s what the system showed. Kinda lame, but oh well. I am curious if anyone else has this trim and if so, what’s the VIN?

• Informative
Reactions: fseir
I asked the SC if they could install this part and they said that part was only available on certain configurations. Specifically they stated it was only on cars that didn’t have the premium package that contained the upgraded stereo and subwoofer. I stated that I thought the only configurations being built were the premiums and they said that wasn’t the case. He said for cars without subwoofers they have that molding. For cars with subwoofers and the premium package it didn’t. He agreed it didn’t make sense but that’s what the system showed. Kinda lame, but oh well. I am curious if anyone else has this trim and if so, what’s the VIN?

The person you talked to is just making stuff up.

However, if it is like most Tesla moldings they snap on or off so you could remove it if you needed the extra clearance and leave it on when you don't. I would certainly like to get that piece and add it. If we can get a part number maybe we can order it. On Tesla of course! :)

Reactions: gambit48
However, if it is like most Tesla moldings they snap on or off so you could remove it if you needed the extra clearance and leave it on when you don't. I would certainly like to get that piece and add it. If we can get a part number maybe we can order it. On Tesla of course! :)

That's an excellent idea. I've no idea how trim pieces are. If they're real easy to snap on and off, then yeah, I'd totally prefer to have it. I can't imagine I'd take it off all that much, but would certainly like the option to. I have been frustrated when loading prior sedans and being limited by the opening and seeing unused space just past the opening lip.

Virtually all of the trim in the 3 is held in with snaps such as the dash, the console, door panels, etc. Some require a good tug to pop off or using the appropriate tool to gently pry until it pops off. The S is similar. Anyone that has run any wiring has had to remove trim or at least partially disengage it. Usually, a sharp push with the palm of your hand is all that is needed to pop it back on once aligned with the clips. My guess is that this piece would be an easy on/off piece.

I'm a little torn. It does look cleaner. However, it looks like it makes the trunk opening a bit tinier. If I'm carrying something large, that extra inch can make a big difference since the trunk does have the room if not for that molding being in the way.
I don't think it makes enough difference of opening size. Infact, I would say you would be able to push the luggage more easily because of smooth lip, instead of tearing at sharp edge. In reality at most it only take 3/8 inch thickness.