Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New USB hubs - Taptes USB Hub Pro/Basenor USB Hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered and received the TAPTES usb hub pro on Amazon at the beginning of August. I received this email directly from TAPTES a week later. I haven’t seen anyone else post this.

Attachments

• 129CC6C0-9B62-4FC2-8E2E-4A684B594AD7.jpeg
    129CC6C0-9B62-4FC2-8E2E-4A684B594AD7.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 315
...powered by what?

The ports themselves (the USB-A ones anyway) can't give you more than about 2.5a each if doing nothing but giving power.

Navaks gen1 intelligent splitter can offer you 2.1a of that, or ~10 watts, of charging power on one of its ports with the other available for data and ~.4a to power the data device plugged in there- all plugged into a single USB-A port in the car and taking up very little room.

If you want/need faster than that you'll need to plug into the 12v in the center console (or wire something yourself into a 12v line) and which point there's already tons of stuff that'll give you all the fast charging ports you want and you can use the front USB ports just for data.

Thats kind of what I was thinking. A powered hub that will tap into a 12v supply while still attaching to the USBs in front so you can have higher power and data support.

is there any concern sharing the usb ports with 2 USB gamepads on the side with the USB drive for sentry? Does teslacam/sentry mode become less reliable when more things are being shared on the same USB port?

If using a quality splitter, especially one that manages power properly (like a navak for example), it shouldn't.

The cameras only write at 2MB/sec, bandwidth of a single USB2.0 connection is 60MB (though 30-36 is a more practical real world value) so you've still got over 90% of available bandwidth for other devices none of which are super bandwidth hungry either.

Reactions: ranova
I fitted the USB-A version of the Taptes USB Hub Pro - data and power on all plugs.Have a
Works with my wireless charger and runs my game controller and sentry USB stick without issues.
Seems that 2020.40.3 screwed up the USB somehow, keeps alerting about the dash cam usb drive not being 4mb or faster. Its been working for over a year without issues. Hoping 40.4 fixes that.

I fitted the USB-A version of the Taptes USB Hub Pro - data and power on all plugs.Have a
Works with my wireless charger and runs my game controller and sentry USB stick without issues.
Seems that 2020.40.3 screwed up the USB somehow, keeps alerting about the dash cam usb drive not being 4mb or faster. Its been working for over a year without issues. Hoping 40.4 fixes that.

I went from 2020.36.16 to 40.4 without any errors using my Taptes Hub Pro and a WD Purple Endurance 256gb micro sd card

Just got the Tapes Pro Hub as a Christmas gift for my M3.

I am so happy to finally get a true USB Hub with Data on all six ports. Two ports for phone charging, two ports for one black and one white Xbox controllers (can play co-op in Cuphead, or two player in Beach Buggy Racing 2, without using steering wheel and wearing out tires), one port for Samsung SSD and TeslaCam, and one port for USB memory stick with mp3-files.

Works great, I am very happy with it!

ZNlx6UU.jpg

6Ff5h3s.jpg

5NmQqM8.jpg

Qso9mIS.jpg

Ive been getting USB malfunction errors on the Taptes Hub pro so I replaced it with the old taptes hub which seems incredible unreliable (it would just lose USB connection on the slightest touch). Anyone else having issues with the hubs on the latest updates or is my USB port just going bad - or maybe the hub is bad?

Plugging in directly with a cable or the drive directly seems to work fine

Last edited:
Ive been getting USB malfunction errors on the Taptes Hub pro so I replaced it with the old taptes hub which seems incredible unreliable (it would just lose USB connection on the slightest touch). Anyone else having issues with the hubs on the latest updates or is my USB port just going bad - or maybe the hub is bad?

Plugging in directly with a cable or the drive directly seems to work fine

No problem for me. Working fine with latest updates (2020.48.26).

Last edited:
I've had the Taptes 6-in-1 hub for a few months and have no experience with the Jeda hub. The Taptes hub is more than adequate and I don't see why one should spend 3x as much for the Jeda. For pre-refresh Model 3s, the 6-in-1 is the one to get over their 5-in-1 model with the USB-C port.

My one gripe with the hub is that it's really hard to put into place. In my early 2018 Model 3, the fit is very tight. Maybe it's better with more recent cars. It took a lot more force than it should have to push it down into the recesses of console. When I went to insert it the first time, the alignment must not have been perfect, because when I plugged it in, I heard a metallic scraping sound and it wouldn't fully insert. After removing it, I saw that the metallic lip of one of the car's USB ports was bent and it would not accept any USB-A plug. Thankfully, I was able to straighten it out with needle-nose pliers and got the hub in place. That probably would have been an expensive service appointment.

Aside from that, it's been performing as expected. I like that every port is enabled for data so if I have a podcast or music a USB stick I can just plug it in any available port. The compartment for the SSD will not fit a standard 2.5 mm SSD, even a bare internal one. You can spend less and get more storage by investing in an internal M.2 SSD and an enclosure rather than a consumer grade external SSD like the Samsung one everyone loves, with the added benefit of it being easily upgradable in the future. My rat's nest of wires is a just a little better organized now with my SSD tucked away, which was the whole point of getting it.

Reactions: martinot
My one gripe with the hub is that it's really hard to put into place. In my early 2018 Model 3, the fit is very tight. Maybe it's better with more recent cars. It took a lot more force than it should have to push it down into the recesses of console. When I went to insert it the first time, the alignment must not have been perfect, because when I plugged it in, I heard a metallic scraping sound and it wouldn't fully insert. After removing it, I saw that the metallic lip of one of the car's USB ports was bent and it would not accept any USB-A plug. Thankfully, I was able to straighten it out with needle-nose pliers and got the hub in place. That probably would have been an expensive service appointment.

It installed very easily on my M3 built in March 2019. I guess that this type of product and solution is quite sensitive to even smaller changes in the car models.

Great solution to my previous cable mess, and lack of USB data ports!

Good point and tips with regards to using NVMe SSD in empty cases (even if I am personally extremely happy with my small but super fast Samsung T7, which I got on BF for a very low price).

I received my Taptes USB Hub Pro yesterday (ordered 6 July, so 3 weeks in total, not bad). It's got a nice soft-touch front finish, I've not taken it apart, but reading the instruction sheet that comes with it suggests that there are two USB hubs split left/right across the two external and one internal USB-A ports.

So far power and data are OK on all ports. I've also got the 'Taptes wireless charger for Tesla Model 3 15W' and this works OK connected alongside USB storage and game controller in the Hub Pro; charging speed is obviously limited by the hub input, my iPhone XS Max just about maintains charge when using Google Maps, and charges OK when not using phone nav. I've considered the mod as mentioned by @dmurphy above but as it's a new leased car I'm a bit nervous about doing it...

I don't have a widget to measure output current but attach some photos for info. Overall very pleased for the price.

View attachment 569990

View attachment 569992

View attachment 569995

View attachment 569996
(I've removed the 'press here' sticker on the front now I'm happy it all works as expected!)
hi Where did you get the Pro Hub from looking for one but cant find one even TAPTES dont have one

So probably about 1 and a half years of using the hub, it's starting to die on me. It would sometimes not power up the wireless chargers, and my sentry mode USB without having to unplug and replug them often. Does this seem like an USB hub failure?

Now that Taptes don't make the USB Hub Pro anymore, what are my other options for pre June 2020 cars?