TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New (used) 85 owner! What am I on the lookout for?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by demundus, Jul 5, 2015.

1. demundus

demundus Member

Hi all! I bought my first new (used) Model S 85 this weekend. I have bought and sold many cars and I have never felt more satisfied with the MS85 purchase... its incredible. I LOVE this car. Someone will have to pry it from my cold dead hands if they want me to ever drive something else :love:

I have browsed the technical issues sticky in the forum and I'm glad to report I haven't had any of those issues yet, but I do have two questions related to issues and reliability:

First, when releasing the accelerator such that the regen braking kicks in at low speeds, I can feel a "thump" in the transition between systems. My guess is this is normal, as the car is heavy and the systems aren't going to be seamless based on their nature... but I'd love a confirmation?

Second, I've built/thrashed/fixed various ICE vehicles, and almost always do my maintenance when I can (even the tough stuff!). I have a feeling most of that is now ancient history, as the Model S is probably way out of my league, but I can at least use my car smarts and common sense to be preventative and also catch issues early. So, what kind of things have other mid mileage S85 owners seen, or what other things should I look at listen for into the future?

2. themacs

themacs Member

Welcome and enjoy your new S !! I have not had the noises you describe. Also at 14K I have had pano roof issues and computer issues. All worked out by Tesla for me! Love the car. I have a new Jag F type and prefer the Tesla…. Go figure LOL

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

Unless you are into mounting, balancing and rotating your tires, there is no "mechanic" stuff for you to do.
    If you are into detailing/washing/vacuuming/etc. there is plenty minus most of the brake dust on the wheels.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Bring it in and have service check it out.
    The sound you describe may be the main contactor going.
    Service can check it out and let you know for sure.

And congratulations!

5. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Search around here ... there was mention of a sound that was tracked to a failed motor mount or similar.

There should not be any sound at all.

6. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

You can replace the cabin air filter... That took me about 6 min. Else, there is no maintenance.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your first Tesla! I assume it still is under the original factory warranty. Take it to the nearest Tesla Service Center and have them listen for the noise.

8. demundus

demundus Member

Thanks for the replies! It's got about 2 years of warranty left (said the guy on the phone) and I've got a service center on the way to work tomorrow, I will stop in and have them check it out. :)

9. demundus

demundus Member

Just a mini update. Had a service guy ride along at Costa Mesa service center after work today. Noticed the clunking and, since I live closer to the San Diego service center, arranged for a drive unit replacement (or maybe service depending on severity) under warranty with a loaner this month. I'm speechless. :love:

10. ksdprasad

ksdprasad Member

that thump is fixable by Service team. it is known issue.

Congratulations on your Model S!!