Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New (used) 85 owner! What am I on the lookout for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all! I bought my first new (used) Model S 85 this weekend. I have bought and sold many cars and I have never felt more satisfied with the MS85 purchase... its incredible. I LOVE this car. Someone will have to pry it from my cold dead hands if they want me to ever drive something else :love:

I have browsed the technical issues sticky in the forum and I'm glad to report I haven't had any of those issues yet, but I do have two questions related to issues and reliability:

First, when releasing the accelerator such that the regen braking kicks in at low speeds, I can feel a "thump" in the transition between systems. My guess is this is normal, as the car is heavy and the systems aren't going to be seamless based on their nature... but I'd love a confirmation?

Second, I've built/thrashed/fixed various ICE vehicles, and almost always do my maintenance when I can (even the tough stuff!). I have a feeling most of that is now ancient history, as the Model S is probably way out of my league, but I can at least use my car smarts and common sense to be preventative and also catch issues early. So, what kind of things have other mid mileage S85 owners seen, or what other things should I look at listen for into the future?

Welcome and enjoy your new S !! I have not had the noises you describe. Also at 14K I have had pano roof issues and computer issues. All worked out by Tesla for me! Love the car. I have a new Jag F type and prefer the Tesla…. Go figure LOL

Just a mini update. Had a service guy ride along at Costa Mesa service center after work today. Noticed the clunking and, since I live closer to the San Diego service center, arranged for a drive unit replacement (or maybe service depending on severity) under warranty with a loaner this month. I'm speechless. :love:

First, when releasing the accelerator such that the regen braking kicks in at low speeds, I can feel a "thump" in the transition between systems. My guess is this is normal, as the car is heavy and the systems aren't going to be seamless based on their nature... but I'd love a confirmation?

that thump is fixable by Service team. it is known issue.

Congratulations on your Model S!!