TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New user with Questions

Discussion in 'Model S' started by davinci2017, Feb 3, 2017.

1. davinci2017

davinci2017 Member

I posted on the delivery page as well , just picked up my S60 from Inventory with Enhanced autopilot.

I've had the car for 2 days now, but see absolutely no indication of Autopilot anywhere on the car, when I ask someone about it they say I am supposed to get an update for it and its still rolling out, yet I see articles everywhere that say as of Jan 21 all HW2 cars have autopilot rolled out.

Am I missing something?

The other question is on the automatic wipers. Mine are not automatic, in position one or two. They just keep going. Position one is slow, position two is faster, but irregardless of whether its raining or not, it just works at the same rate ,even on a dry windshield.

Car info page shows Firmware 8.0 fwiw

Tesla support (3 different folks) have given me three different answers. One said the auto wipers have to be "turned on" when its raining and "turned off" when its not. Not sure whats automatic about them...
    The other said just wait a few weeks, the camera's have to calibrate and you will then get an update that will fix both AP and the wipers
    The last one said take it to service center.

Can anyone please help a newbie out and give a definitive answer on these, its a bit disheartening to not be able to get a straightforward answer directly from the company that just sold you a brand new car.

2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.28 c528869

What is your exact firmware version? Even if you have the correct version, you have to enable autosteer in the settings.
    Automatic wipers aren't active on AP2 cars yet.

3. davinci2017

davinci2017 Member

Version says 8 (2.50.180) in the info screen.

4. MorrisonHiker

Yeah, that version only has autopilot in shadow mode. Once you get 17.3.15 or later, you'll have TACC and Autosteer limited to 45 mph.

5. davinci2017

davinci2017 Member

And thats being rolled out...slowly? I am curious why a factory delivered new car would not have the latest updates installed during delivery prep. Might have to do with the AP shadow mode needing a certain number of miles/data before i can get the update? or am I overthinking this :)

Thanks though for the info, so I guess one of the three support folks knew what they were talking about

6. MorrisonHiker

It takes time to roll out releases to all cars. I just found this thread showing there is an updated version so maybe you'll be getting it soon: 17.5.28

7. LuPapa

LuPapa Member

#7 LuPapa, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    Tesla does not do manual updates when delivering cars. All cars get over the air (LTE/wifi) updates. However a service center can do a manual update for you. If you live near a service center then call and make a point of them doing it. It can be done.

8. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

I have a feeling Tesla doesn't want new user to start using the autopilot just yet. They want to make sure you get used to the car first. When I first got my car, the cameras also needed to be adjusted so it takes time to read and learn the roads.

9. Swissmoneychf

Swissmoneychf Member

Why the heck did noone at delivery tell you theses basics things ? AP in AP2 cars is not enabled yet, same for auto wipers.

10. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

You will probably get 17.5.28 this weekend. Autopilot will be restricted to 50 mph and TACC will be 80. You'll also get side collision warnings via ultrasonics it seems.

11. davinci2017

davinci2017 Member

Thanks all for helping, will keep driving and wait for the latest update to enable all the latest tech!