Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Vampire Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting vampire drain in the realm of like 7-8% per day. I'm on 2020.48.37.1 on MCU1 with FSD computer March 2017 build of the vehicle. This is in my garage at 30-35 degrees F. Have it set to all of the lowest power options and try to never wake it up via the app. Sentry mode is definitely off. Any ideas, or is this sadly normal? My Model 3 is nowhere close to this. More like 1-2% per day.

If you have FSD, is Summon Standby enabled? That is a power hog. Our S loses 1% per day, but your garage temperature hovers around freezing so that could reduce available capacity. Do you see the percentage increase back when the garage is warmer? This all could just be correlated to your garage temps and be normal. Is your Mode 3 also in the same garage?

I went through periods of high losses with my MCU1 model X. Some of the episodes lasted for weeks and I never really found why, but they did all eventually self resolve. A few times (after service appointments) I found they had checked the Always Connected button, and that was the problem.

No problems since upgrading to MCU2. Never any similar problems with model 3.

I'm in the same boat loosing 5% per day (MCU 1 / FSD). I disabled Teslafi for a month and same thing, the X doesn't seem to ever sleep and I've made sure to make sure all the common settings are off. What I've noticed from watching TeslaFi (and changing the settings many different times) is that the car is not attempting to sleep.

My Model 3 has never had a problem

I'm in the same boat loosing 5% per day (MCU 1 / FSD). I disabled Teslafi for a month and same thing, the X doesn't seem to ever sleep and I've made sure to make sure all the common settings are off. What I've noticed from watching TeslaFi (and changing the settings many different times) is that the car is not attempting to sleep.

My Model 3 has never had a problem
Good to hear I'm not the only one. Hoping it will get fixed when I get MCU2 in less than a week.

2020.48.37.1 early VIN Model S85, upgraded MCU1, in garage 50°F, float charger attached to 12v battery (been doing that for years and 12v is still great), display Energy Saver ON and Always Connected OFF. Car had been quietly asleep for months with zero power draw, but after a couple of drives is now inexplicably losing up to 5%/day! Now making random whirring and clicking noises and occasionally raising/lowering suspension. Any other settings I need to change?

I am surprised you are still on a 2020 firmware. I am on 2021.4.12 and have been experiencing some vampire drain and hear fan noises, etc. Haven't had the 0-1% drain in a long time. I have all the same settings as you. Yes, do what jboy210 suggests, and maybe give it a reboot.

Is either of the keys anywhere near your car? Even being in the bedroom above the garage caused my car to drain. I now keep it in a drawer 30 feet and 3 walls away. This is on a 2018 X with MCU2.
Thank you for this reminder. Normally the key is indeed stored far from the car, but I had forgotten to take it out of my cargo pants and had been doing a lot of work in the garage. I'll take the cover off the car, reboot it, ensure everything is off, and stow the key. Thanks.

I am also on 37.1. Normally it looses less then 1% a day. However yesterday it suddenly lost more and I noticed this morning that the small screen behind the steering wheel was on. I didn't use the X for a few days. I did a reboot and now everything looks right again.
Why that screen went on I don't know. Unlocking and locking didn't make a difference.

I am also on 37.1. Normally it looses less then 1% a day. However yesterday it suddenly lost more and I noticed this morning that the small screen behind the steering wheel was on. I didn't use the X for a few days. I did a reboot and now everything looks right again.
Why that screen went on I don't know. Unlocking and locking didn't make a difference.
Did you check your car (ex. look at charge state, interior temp, etc.) with the phone app. That seems to start up systems and is one reason you don't want to check very often.