Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Vehicle, unsual sound at highway speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up model S recently and it has only 600 miles on it so far,
runs smooth at low speeds , just noticed this week when I go at 65 mph or above
I notice weird noice coming from battery ? I can feel the vibration even in my driver seat.
It typically happens when I accelerate, It disappears after few 30-40 seconds, comes back again
Annoying to drive like that.
I called customer support and waiting to hear from SC.
I am yet to receive update on their new auto pilot hardware.

Any ideas

Thanks in advance.

The battery does not vibrate at all. Nor does it make any noise. So no worries there. If the motor does, it would be unlikely that you would feel it under your seat, though possible, I guess. They have shims to fix that. But that issue was fixed long ago. One other thing could be if it is very hot and/or you have been really pushing the car, the cooling fans for the battery are the same that provide cabin compressor cooling. When they really get going, it sounds like a rocket engine. That is normal. They work really hard.

I bet your wheels are imbalanced. That is very common on any car and quite noticeable in the MS due the relatively lower profiles of either tire size. My 21's are especially sensitive to it because they are all wheel and not much rubber to dampen the effect. With imbalance, the faster you go, the more apparent it is until a harmonic balancing effect can sometimes dampen it. I would get it at 70+ and it would go away at 90. Before I got my tire guys totally tuned in, I would watch my empty pass. seat vibrate pretty significantly. I couldn't feel anything, but I was worried about it. Once they got the balancing dialed in, all was well.

Lastly, you mentioned a noise and then described it as a vibration. I did notice when I first got mine that, since there was essentially no noise coming from the car, so other noises became super apparent to me. I thought they were my car at first. But it turned out that they were then surrounding environment.

I hope that helps and welcome to the family!

• Informative
Reactions: ngkl and Andyw2100
The lane departure warning was driving me nuts for a few days before I turned it off. It is so subtle I thought it was a driveline vibration.

But sure enough it went away when I shut off lane departure. Not sure if that is even active in AP 2 cars... but worth checking into.

Reactions: ev-now
The battery does not vibrate at all. Nor does it make any noise. So no worries there. If the motor does, it would be unlikely that you would feel it under your seat, though possible, I guess. They have shims to fix that. But that issue was fixed long ago. One other thing could be if it is very hot and/or you have been really pushing the car, the cooling fans for the battery are the same that provide cabin compressor cooling. When they really get going, it sounds like a rocket engine. That is normal. They work really hard.

I bet your wheels are imbalanced. That is very common on any car and quite noticeable in the MS due the relatively lower profiles of either tire size. My 21's are especially sensitive to it because they are all wheel and not much rubber to dampen the effect. With imbalance, the faster you go, the more apparent it is until a harmonic balancing effect can sometimes dampen it. I would get it at 70+ and it would go away at 90. Before I got my tire guys totally tuned in, I would watch my empty pass. seat vibrate pretty significantly. I couldn't feel anything, but I was worried about it. Once they got the balancing dialed in, all was well.

Lastly, you mentioned a noise and then described it as a vibration. I did notice when I first got mine that, since there was essentially no noise coming from the car, so other noises became super apparent to me. I thought they were my car at first. But it turned out that they were then surrounding environment.

I hope that helps and welcome to the family!

I hope it is as simple as wheel Imbalance
I am taking to SC next week