TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Ventilated Seats

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SDRick, May 9, 2016.

1. SDRick

SDRick Member

Will the new X ventilated front seat fit and bolt into the S without modification?

2. stevem

stevem Member

Even if it did, You would still need software support to get the ventilation to work, no?

3. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

In the past some "ventilated" seats have actually had liquid lines which pass heated or cooled liquid through the seat. This requires a heat exchanger (connected to HVAC system), a pump, thermostat, etc etc - so it is non-trivial to add this to a car not set up for it.

4. K_style

K_style Member

Besides, the seat it self is much taller that you will have to leave the moon roof open when driving.

• Funny x 1
  5. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

The X ventilated seats just have fans that suck air away from back/legs. It is not actively cooled.

6. Reeler

Reeler 6 Years of Pure EV

The Model S is missing many things you would expect in that car class. No lighted visor mirrors, no storage in the door, no adjustment for the shoulder strap, no ventilated seats, no sunglass holder, non-functional blind spot detection, etc.

The Model X has fixed some of these and presumably the Model 3 will fix others, but currently the Model S is not seeing any of these improvements as Tesla focuses elsewhere.

I recommend getting a Model X which can be done right away if you buy a used one. The additional cost delta is not much and the Model S is very much lacking in these sort of things we take for granted in this price class.

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I think the seat mounts are completely different, along with everything else you would need.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Are ventilated seats something people really want? I'm wondering how needed they are with he ability to precool the car. My car doesn't have them so have never owned a car with them.

9. SDRick

SDRick Member

Ventilated seats, why not. Any luxury car in the six-figure range has them. If implemented correctly it is a nice luxury feature. Cooled seats, even better.

10. 808?

808? Member

Ventilated seats use much less juice than the air-conditioning does.

11. steve841

steve841 Active Member

My Chevy truck has ventilated seats. Definite necessity in FL.

Tesla has them on the S with new P models. Im sure they will be a part of the premium package soon.