Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ben - thanks for providing a fantastic resource for Tesla road trip planning! We've exchanged emails in the past by they way...

I'm an iOS user... But I'm not sure I'd use an app on my phone. I'd rather have something that works on an iPad. A mobile optimized web site would be great, and should work in the car too. The current site works ok on an iPad, but it's hard to rearrange waypoints...

Hi Ben, thanks for creating such a useful website!

If I were you, I would develop a free iOS app that provided direct routing, and a premium iOS app that routed thru Superchargers. Charge $4.99 for the latter, and if you achieve 10 to 20% market share among Tesla drivers, it will pay for your college education. Then do similar free/pay Android versions.

-- David

Windows Phone here. But making a web version is the most universal (And could still potentially work in the cars browser too or a laptop).

PlugShare does something similar in their Tesla browser version... the blue dot on the map moves along with you and it is a little laggy but it works.

Thanks for all your hard work and time!

-m

I would vote for a mobile web app. Thus it will work on IOS/Android/Windows phones without issue. Plus it will save you a heap of development time. You could of course develop apps for all of these platforms but then you end up paying commission to Apple etc., and would only be able to charge once.

If I was you I would be inclined to go to a free "taster" mode but charge an annual membership fee which would give the user the full routing capability including superchargers/energy usage etc.,

I speak for myself but I would gladly pay say a $20 annual membership fee so that you are given an incentive to maintain the site and I am certain that others would. After all, if we can afford Model S we are not exactly poor!

Thanks for your efforts.