Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ben, the developer of EVTripPlanner.com here. I've gotten a lot of requests to make an app to help Tesla drivers manage energy predictions during road trips. I'm working on it now, but I wanted some input from the Tesla community. I can either make a website designed to run in the car's browser, or an app that runs on your phone. Here's a screenshot of the prototype (click for full size):

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your great work.

I would prefer a website designed to run in the car's browser.

Larry

Either iOS or Tesla web browser works for me. I don't know enough about the pros and cons to pick one over the other.

A useful feature would be real-time updates of projected rated miles and SOC when arriving at each destination along a planned trip, based on the car's actual speed relative to the speed limit, actual energy consumption and SOC, actual climate control settings, and actual weather conditions, along with the other variables such as terrain that EV Trip Planner also uses. These are currently user inputs in EV Trip Planner. If the app could determine these variables from what the car is reporting as well as a real-time weather forecast along the route from a weather service, that would make it an even more awesome tool. Can these data about the car be directly accessed by the Model S web browser, or is a login to Tesla's remote server required?

Ben, thanks so much for making EV Trip Planner an incredible, must have product.

I have played around with the site but won't have my S for a few more months to actually "use" it. It looks great! Thanks for all your work. Seems like a web based interface would be the most universal. The current web site is quite functional on an iPad rather than an iPhone. If it happens to work on the S's browser, that's a bonus. Keep up the good work!
Mike

Hi, Ben,

Thank you so much for your contribution of evtripplanner to the world. I am using it more and more.

Unfortunately, the web browser is one of the weakest parts of the Model S' software. It's extremely frustrating. I have three children, one of whom is a 10-year old boy who will do *ANYTHING* to get his hands on an electronic device. But after an initial 5-minute fascination with the Tesla browser, he gave it up and never asks to use it. Very telling. In my case, I'll use evtripplanner from an iPad or from my home laptop but have completely jettisoned the idea of using it in the Tesla web browser.

I am totally sympathetic to the pain of supporting a mobile app, much less two (iOS v Android). However, the difference in responsiveness and user satisfaction can be pretty substantial. I'd vote first in favor of an iOS app (but biased because I'm an iOS user); then in favor of a mobile web page that would probably work best on the phones and tablets and might also incidentally happen to work on the Tesla browser.

I would also encourage you to consider ways to charge for the evtripplanner service, especially if you create mobile apps, which take more effort. You might consider a freemium model, hopefully getting 5-10% of your population to pony up for the additional feature(s). Perhaps an annual subscription model. Someone like me might pay up to $50-$100/year for a good navigation service/app. But of course Tesla is also innovating in this area. You might consider asking this forum's members what they might be willing to pay.

Thanks for all you're doing!

Alan

I would rather have it as an application that runs in Model S's browser
I am based in the UK have been trying to work out a route from where I live in Hertfordshire UK to LaClusaz in France using Tesla Super Chargers
I am close to arriving at a projected route but I still have to factor in the time factor
Ben