TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New ViNs lately?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by lolachampcar, Dec 21, 2012.

1. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

It seems like there were a slew of ViNs added to the spread sheet over the last week but now that has gone quite. Are they normally issued in batch? If they are, do you think we will see another batch by year's end?

2. lolachampcar

I just checked timdorr's spread sheet and there are no new ViNs added. Has anyone gotten a ViN over the last few days?

3. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I know someone who got their VIN Friday morning. It was in the mid 3000's range.

4. adurstewitz

adurstewitz P3853, VIN3062

According to Tim's spreadsheet mine is the last one from the previous batch (VIN 3062). I've not seen one higher and was told that they will not be giving out more VINs until 2013.

5. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Oh please let the next batch be 60kWh VIN's! I've only got 20 more days to lock in my financing with PenFed and I'm worried that rates will be going up in 2013.

6. Tempus

Tempus Member

This. Exactly this!

7. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

Was anybody with a 60kWh given a delivery window?If they throw those of us who were given a delivery range of 12/15-12/31 back behind the next batch I'd be more than a bit ... um... surprised. A lot of us have gone through gymnastics to be ready for an end of the year delivery that has not materialized

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. timdorr

timdorr Model S P1698 / VIN 1657

To be fair, I've been slowing down my update rate for the spreadsheet. I've got a lot of stuff going on right now, so I'm not checking in every few hours like I used to. It may just be me being slow :)

9. clmazin

clmazin Member

I got 2600 on Wednesday. 85, non-sig.

10. lolachampcar

If 3062 is the last ViN out for 2012, then I'm heading for a 2013 MY car. I hope the remainder of the 15-31st promise dates will get their cars in early January but I can simpathize with the low P numbered 60KW guys wanting their cars in the proper order.

Please post if anyone hears of a ViN coming out of Tesla before the end of the month as I would think that would indicate another batch release.

11. adurstewitz

Engaged, fiancé moving in, Christmas and brand spanken new Tesla in your garage? I really don't see why you're not more dedicated to the cause. You should evaluate your priorities!</sarcasm> :)

12. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

At this point I'm not really sure what to expect. I think they got themselves in a tough spot by inviting so many people to finalize. I know they wanted to keep the production line moving at top speed, but it sounds like they overshot, and now they have a good chunk of people like us (85kWh high res number), plus I can only imagine a good chunk of finalized 60kWh configs just waiting to go into production, many of which have substantially lower reservation numbers. How can they keep both sets of customers happy? I would say they should intermingle them, but I have no idea how they would figure out the sequencing in that case.

Personally, if I get pushed back to Feb/Mar, I think I'll understand. It'll be disappointing, for sure, but I don't feel like I can demand to be put ahead of 60kWh folks with reservations thousands ahead of me just because I went through some financial gymnastics to get ready in time for a potential Dec/Jan delivery. I'm sure not everyone would be as accepting of that though.

13. HFh

HFh Member

That's all very reasonable of you; however, you went through the financial gymnastics BECAUSE they told you you'd have everything by Dec/Jan. I certainly went through a lot I wouldn't have gone through otherwise, and now I have a bank staring at me (metaphorically) waiting on a VIN with the clock a-ticking away. Sigh.

14. kinddog

kinddog Banned

i am in pretty much the same situation as you, and my DS said that while they won't make the Dec 31 deadline, it should be early to mid January. we will NOT be thrown back just because we didn't get in before the 31st.

15. lolachampcar

kinddog,
    at least we get a MY13 ViN bonus unless you have already received your ViN. I wonder what they will do with MY12 ViNs that do not make it out the door in 2012?

16. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

I believe they would have to change the Vin, unless it already completed production.

17. adurstewitz

If you have a VIN, you are already in the BIW phase. So the VIN won't change.

18. lolachampcar

Saw a post in another thread saying there have been some post Xmas ViNs. Can anyone confirm this?

19. Adstein

Adstein Member

Res 5,158 assigned VIN 3,092 today.

20. adurstewitz

What delivery date did they give you?