Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Volt vs Old Volt Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
To those of you that have driven both the old (2011-2015?) and new style Volt (2016+), how does the new one compare to the old one. The new one certainly looks much better on paper. I'm curious to hear some real world experiences.

I drove the old style Volt for a few years (a 2012 model), but never had a chance to drive the new style as I bought an S instead. But I am still interested in hearing about it.

Thanks!

I have a 2013, have test driven a 17, and convinced a friend of mine to buy a 17 and have ridden in it a few times. The back seat has less headroom than the gen 1 if that matters to you. I'm 6'2" and have to crank my neck forward or to the side pretty significantly to sit in the back seat. Other than that its nicer in every way I can think of. Faster, better range, better mileage in hybrid mode, (slightly) faster charging, and the interior is nicer and more mature. I was pretty tempted to upgrade when I test drove the car, but in the long run decided to wait a couple years so I could go pure electric instead.

I had a 2014 Volt and now have a 2017 Volt.

2017 fully loaded Premier was cheap to lease. 300 bucks per month with 0 down. I was underwhelmed overall with the driver confidence I and driver confidence II packages. I would of been upset if I bought the vehicle outright. Since it was a lease, no big deal.

Pros vs 2014 Volt:
25% more range on battery. I get like 52 miles, but I drive it aggressively in sport mode all the time.
Nicer exterior and interior
Apple Carplay is awesome
Car doesn't prevent you from typing in addresses while moving with the GPS
3rd seat in back has a seatbelt but I really don't think its usable unless an extreme emergency. I still consider it a 4 seater.
LED Headlamps
Blindspot Sensors
Cross Traffic Sensor on reverse

Cons vs 2014 Volt:
Onstar included is 6 months compared to 3 years before.
No homelink

Our family has 3 Volts.
Improvements in 2nd Gen:
  • The electric motor output has been bumped to 120kW, you will feel the difference. Speed limiter remains at 101mph, however, it gets there much quicker now. Does burnouts from stoplights if you are 12 years old. I'm 12.
  • The weight has been reduced, if driven aggressively, you will know it. A bit better feel.
  • ICE generator is much more quiet, now uses regular gas, supposedly more powerful, dunno about that, not sure how you'd know.
  • ICE generator gets noticeably better mileage.
  • Yes, you can haul 5 adults in one if you consider high school seniors as adults. I've done it before, and so has my daughter. I was raised with cramming 6 or 7 people in a VW bug, 5 in a Volt is gravy.
  • Rear camera is better all around. Better resolution, better predictive tracking, better low light/high light performance,
  • Controls are more intuitive.
  • On Board Charger is bigger, but actually takes 4.5h now for full charge from zero since battery is also bigger.
  • In urban use or stop and go freeways, 60 miles is cake on a charge. 69 mile is most I hit in normal driving. You can drive like a spaz and hit 53 miles. My son's is sitting at 58 miles average when I used it last month.
  • Hatch is now composite polymer.
  • 120V included EVSE has undocumented feature, it will charge at L2 if you make an adapter to feed it 240v. However it is still 12a peak, so it only charges twice as fast as 120v on the 12a setting. If you want the fastest charging, you still need a dedicated 16a L2 device.
  • Now has cabin filter.
  • Scrapes less on driveways.
  • Headlights are WAY better.
  • Front pillars slightly smaller.
  • Less rear visibility, get the Driver's Confidence I and II if you can. The tools it comes with make the rear visibility issue a non-issue.
  • Stupid GM changed the bolt pattern for the wheels slightly to shave a few ounces off. Now 5x105, but remains 17x7 w/40 offset. Bizarre, and pissed me off.
The Gen 1 is great, for the most part, the Gen II is just more of it. Either one is a fun urban ripper, and rock steady at 100 mph sustained even in corners on windy days or bumpy freeways. The Gen 2 will shave at least a full second off your lap times on AutoX.

Electronic Warfare stuff? It's good. Get it. Sorry we didn't get it on the 2016. It's all worth it just for the Forward Collision Alert / Intelligent Braking Assist / Automatic Emergency Braking combined system. Uses an HUD with 6 bright LED's and audible warning. Not subtle, will bring zombies back to life.

Adaptive cruise? OK, I'll admit it. It doesn't suck. I'm still better than the electronics, but it's not bad at all. I've been in cars with other people driving who aren't as good as the Volt's ACC. You must press Resume with your left thumb if the traffic completely stops, but it brakes fairly hard, and keeps the following distance about perfect. It is a bit too aggressive with the accelerator sometimes, so cover the brake at all times. It's biggest flaw is that it's stupid. It cannot tell when the traffic pattern is unstable. Luckily the FCA works excellent.

Last edited:
I believe* you forgot:
  • The infotainment controls are no longer totally stupid

* I don't have personal experience

Wait. It plays music? Damn. I will certainly have to check that out. :D
The kids would do a better feature list. But here's what I know:

On the Gen II, I just stuff a USB stick in the dash port, and hit shuffle. Have about 400 songs I like on it. Commercial free.
Or I listen to Talk Radio. It has AM. Set tone controls to TALK. Has XM radio. Favorites buttons are mixed. One can be XM, Two can be AM, Three can be FM, etc.
When you plug an iPhone in, it sometimes automatically plays music. There is a setting to make it ask first.

Not a big radio guy though. I do know it's voice command by genre, author, audio books, album, etc.
It will also do hands free text with a cellphone. It will use voice to read or write a text. I don't use a phone in a car, but I did test both the OnStar Phone and my iPhone for hands free interface and both work.

Reactions: GSP
Our family has 3 Volts.
Improvements in 2nd Gen:
  • The electric motor output has been bumped to 120kW, you will feel the difference. Speed limiter remains at 101mph, however, it gets there much quicker now. Does burnouts from stoplights if you are 12 years old. I'm 12.
  • The weight has been reduced, if driven aggressively, you will know it. A bit better feel.
  • ICE generator is much more quiet, now uses regular gas, supposedly more powerful, dunno about that, not sure how you'd know.
  • ICE generator gets noticeably better mileage.
  • Yes, you can haul 5 adults in one if you consider high school seniors as adults. I've done it before, and so has my daughter. I was raised with cramming 6 or 7 people in a VW bug, 5 in a Volt is gravy.
  • Rear camera is better all around. Better resolution, better predictive tracking, better low light/high light performance,
  • Controls are more intuitive.
  • On Board Charger is bigger, but actually takes 4.5h now for full charge from zero since battery is also bigger.
  • In urban use or stop and go freeways, 60 miles is cake on a charge. 69 mile is most I hit in normal driving. You can drive like a spaz and hit 53 miles. My son's is sitting at 58 miles average when I used it last month.
  • Hatch is now composite polymer.
  • 120V included EVSE has undocumented feature, it will charge at L2 if you make an adapter to feed it 240v. However it is still 12a peak, so it only charges twice as fast as 120v on the 12a setting. If you want the fastest charging, you still need a dedicated 16a L2 device.
  • Now has cabin filter.
  • Scrapes less on driveways.
  • Headlights are WAY better.
  • Front pillars slightly smaller.
  • Less rear visibility, get the Driver's Confidence I and II if you can. The tools it comes with make the rear visibility issue a non-issue.
  • Stupid GM changed the bolt pattern for the wheels slightly to shave a few ounces off. Now 5x105, but remains 17x7 w/40 offset. Bizarre, and pissed me off.
The Gen 1 is great, for the most part, the Gen II is just more of it. Either one is a fun urban ripper, and rock steady at 100 mph sustained even in corners on windy days or bumpy freeways. The Gen 2 will shave at least a full second off your lap times on AutoX.

Electronic Warfare stuff? It's good. Get it. Sorry we didn't get it on the 2016. It's all worth it just for the Forward Collision Alert / Intelligent Braking Assist / Automatic Emergency Braking combined system. Uses an HUD with 6 bright LED's and audible warning. Not subtle, will bring zombies back to life.

Adaptive cruise? OK, I'll admit it. It doesn't suck. I'm still better than the electronics, but it's not bad at all. I've been in cars with other people driving who aren't as good as the Volt's ACC. You must press Resume with your left thumb if the traffic completely stops, but it brakes fairly hard, and keeps the following distance about perfect. It is a bit too aggressive with the accelerator sometimes, so cover the brake at all times. It's biggest flaw is that it's stupid. It cannot tell when the traffic pattern is unstable. Luckily the FCA works excellent.

Holy cow, you know the Volt inside and out. I think you will be more equipped than anyone to figure out if the Bolt or Model 3 is going to better if the price ends up being the same. Though realistically, the Model 3 is going to be much more expensive once you add the "cant go without" options.

Holy cow, you know the Volt inside and out. I think you will be more equipped than anyone to figure out if the Bolt or Model 3 is going to better if the price ends up being the same. Though realistically, the Model 3 is going to be much more expensive once you add the "cant go without" options.

Nobody is going to know how the cars compare for at least a year or more.

Today, IMO, the best affordable "green" car today is the Volt. It is proof that driving "green" on a budget doesn't have to suck.

To me the volt vs model 3 is a really interesting comparison. In my mind the deciding factor is that volt is still requires me to visit gas stations/do oil changes and is made by GM. The bolt fixes one of these downsides but seems to have the interior of a <$20k car so that's an immediate disqualification for my next car.

I should also mention the volt is probably 5-10k less for comparably equipped car. Maxed out volt is like 33k and once you add a few options like bigger battery to the model 3 we're probably looking at 38-40k

Nobody is going to know how the cars compare for at least a year or more.

Today, IMO, the best affordable "green" car today is the Volt. It is proof that driving "green" on a budget doesn't have to suck.

I completely agree. The Volt is a great bargain on a lease. And it's also an acceptable purchase when you haggle your way to around 20% off MSRP.

In my mind the deciding factor is that volt is still requires me to visit gas stations/do oil changes and is made by GM.
With 53 miles of EV range, many people will only be visiting gas stations while driving on long-distance road trips.

Unless you drive an extreme number of miles on the gas engine you only need to change the oil once every 2 years. The car's computer display keeps track of the engine use and recommends when to change the oil. I have 139,000 miles on my 2011 Volt with 54,000 of those running on the gas engine and have only changed the oil twice while following the recommended maintenance schedule. The 3rd oil change is due next month.

But, yes, the car is made by GM. In spite of that, it's been great.

With 53 miles of EV range, many people will only be visiting gas stations while driving on long-distance road trips.

Unless you drive an extreme number of miles on the gas engine you only need to change the oil once every 2 years. The car's computer display keeps track of the engine use and recommends when to change the oil. I have 139,000 miles on my 2011 Volt with 54,000 of those running on the gas engine and have only changed the oil twice while following the recommended maintenance schedule. The 3rd oil change is due next month.

But, yes, the car is made by GM. In spite of that, it's been great.

That's great news on the oil changes so I'll concede that isn't much of a drawback but...54,000 miles means you've been to the gas station to refill your tank ~140x (54,000 miles/40 mpg/9.3 gal/tank). That's 140x more than I want to be going : )

Spark vs Spark EV - GM did not change the car 'at all'.

Volt PHEV vs Volt EV - ??

So why no Volt EV? It is a beloved car especially the new model. Just remove the generator, clutch etc and stuff in as much battery as possible. Quick and easy with no 'new marque' shock.
--

Spark vs Spark EV - GM did not change the car 'at all'.

Volt PHEV vs Volt EV - ??

So why no Volt EV? It is a beloved car especially the new model. Just remove the generator, clutch etc and stuff in as much battery as possible. Quick and easy with no 'new marque' shock.
--

An all electric volt would be quite the competition for the model 3, or better yet an all electric prius

That's great news on the oil changes so I'll concede that isn't much of a drawback but...54,000 miles means you've been to the gas station to refill your tank ~140x (54,000 miles/40 mpg/9.3 gal/tank). That's 140x more than I want to be going : )
I have an unusually long commute that ranged between 100-130 miles a day for several years. For part of that time I could only get a partial charge at work during the day by sharing a 120V outlet with other drivers and for other stretches I couldn't charge at work or at home while going through an extended move from one house to another.

Throw in a few long road trips including a 3 week roundtrip from San Francisco to Ohio and the gasoline habit was unavoidable. Plus, that was on a 2011 Volt with only 35 miles of EPA range, not the 53 miles of today's Volt.

The Volt is now going to another family member with a shorter commute and I'm switching to a Bolt EV which will be powered from home on 100% renewable electricity. Later on, a Model 3 is on the agenda.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and SureValla
An all electric volt would be quite the competition for the model 3, or better yet an all electric prius

Something that EV enthusiast do not always understand is that North America, (and the rest of the world), does not have a complete EV infrastructure yet.

If the Model 3 were available today, there are many areas in the USA that it cannot be operated without serious limitations. This is true for all EV's. The Volt does not, nor ever has, had that limitation.

Note that the New Prius is still like the Old Prius. It is a 10 second car to 60, like a $12k Spark ICE. For some folk, even the 7.x second performance of the Volt is not adequate. While the handling is greatly improved on the New Prius, it still lags behind the 2011-2017 Volts.

The Prius is an economy car above all else. It is not supposed to be entertaining to drive. Note: It does not push 121HP like the brochure says other than for short bursts. Hit a long uphill grade at 85mph and find out.

The Volt was engineered to be an economical car that is more fun to drive than economy cars, while being "greener" than it's competition for most drivers.

Last edited:
Also note that Toyota has publically stated that they are not interested in EV cars. They are betting on H2 fuel cells instead. Which is strange when you consider General Motors has more Fuel Cell technology development than any other car company. Much of it was from Hughes Aerospace for the space program. They did just complete a DoD contract for H2 Fuel Cell trucks for the military, IIRC, so they are still developing it. Apparently, they do not believe it's a good application for passenger cars.

Last edited:
Something that EV enthusiast do not always understand is that North America, (and the rest of the world), does not have a complete EV infrastructure yet.

If the Model 3 were available today, there are many areas in the USA that it cannot be operated without serious limitations. This is true for all EV's. The Volt does not, nor ever has, had that limitation.

Note that the New Prius is still like the Old Prius. It is a 10 second car to 60, like a $12k Spark ICE. For some folk, even the 7.x second performance of the Volt is not adequate. While the handling is greatly improved on the New Prius, it still lags behind the 2011-2017 Volts.

The Prius is an economy car above all else. It is not supposed to be entertaining to drive. Note: It does not push 121HP like the brochure says other than for short bursts. Hit a long uphill grade at 85mph and find out.

The Volt was engineered to be an economical car that is more fun to drive than economy cars, while being "greener" than it's competition for most drivers.

The 11 mile battery range for a plug in Prius is embarrassing and I don't see the point. After 11 miles, you are lugging a dead battery around. Waste of a green sticker in CA.

Doesn't help that they have been ugly cars that have only gotten uglier.

Also note that Toyota has publically stated that they are not interested in EV cars. They are betting on H2 fuel cells instead. Which is strange when you consider General Motors has more Fuel Cell technology development than any other car company. Much of it was from Hughes Aerospace for the space program. They did just complete a DoD contract for H2 Fuel Cell trucks for the military, IIRC, so they are still developing it. Apparently, they do not believe it's a good application for passenger cars.
GM is jointly developing H2 fuel cell tech with Honda which just announced their new 366 mile range Clarity model.