Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New vs. old HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Will be bumping up my electrical panel capacity allowing me to finally bring full power (100a circuit) to my original HPWC so I’ll be able to charge at 72a vs. 40a (used to have an S with the original dual charger which would have given me 80a but I have upgraded to an X with the 72a high power onboard charger). My question: Is there any benefit in getting the new HPWC as I upgrade my installation, beyond the ability to daisy chain more HPWC in the future? Thanks.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mjølner
I'm not aware of any benefit other than daisy chain them if you get more than a Tesla. Charging speed will be the same than the current one, the only difference being that the new ones are maxing out at 72A instead of yours 80A. Better wait for the next one that will auto-plug automatically ;-)

@steilkurve my situation is the same as yours: bought an S in 2013 with dual chargers and at that time installed an HPWC on a 100A circuit and charged at 80A. This year bought an X 100D (traded in the S) and now charge it at 72A from the same HPWC.

I have no plans to replace my HPWC or change anything about my home charging setup. I see no reason to do so since my Roadster has its own HPC charger for 70A charging.

Note to @2virgule5 : your post seems to say that the "new ones" (do you mean Tesla Wall Connectors?) max out "at 72A" but I do not think that is correct. They can be used on a 100A circuit and can charge older Model S with dual chargers at 80A. See Model S/X Wall Connector Quote: "For power sharing with more than one Tesla, install with as much power as possible, up to 100 amps." Also see page 4 of this document https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...l_connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf

I might have to replace my HPWC charging cable because the button on the cable end that opens the charge port door may be failing: I have to press that button multiple times to get the X charge port door to open. But that is an issue unrelated to your post.

Reactions: Rocky_H and bhzmark
New/current HPWCs max at 80 Amps on a 100 Amp circuit meaning if shared they could feed 40 Amps (or varying depending on car needs) to each car if you ever think about having two of them in the future.

That's the best reason for the new version. See my sig for FAQ link and pics of installation also.

I don't want to derail this thread and I'll post in a separate one if I need to but can anyone here send me a Gen 1 HPWC installation manual (PDF)? (I'm replacing my Gen 1 HPWC with two of the new ones and I'd like to include its installation manual when I deliver my old HPWC to a friend, but I've misplaced the printed manual that came with it.)

I don't want to derail this thread and I'll post in a separate one if I need to but can anyone here send me a Gen 1 HPWC installation manual (PDF)? (I'm replacing my Gen 1 HPWC with two of the new ones and I'd like to include its installation manual when I deliver my old HPWC to a friend, but I've misplaced the printed manual that came with it.)
Isn't this it? Doesn't appear to have the new rotary dial...

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/tesla-wall-connector-installation-80A-12A.pdf

I am gonna have to sell my 1st gen wall connector as I need the load sharing feature offered by the current model as I will have a 3 coming soon. What is a fair price to sell it? And on what medium? (amazon/craiglist/etc...)

I am gonna have to sell my 1st gen wall connector as I need the load sharing feature offered by the current model as I will have a 3 coming soon. What is a fair price to sell it? And on what medium? (amazon/craiglist/etc...)
Maybe here? Best place to get Tesla people? Marketplace?

I think Amazon only sells things they currently do sell... and Craigslist is always a crapshoot...

Reactions: Lochtessie
@steilkurve my situation is the same as yours: bought an S in 2013 with dual chargers and at that time installed an HPWC on a 100A circuit and charged at 80A. This year bought an X 100D (traded in the S) and now charge it at 72A from the same HPWC.

I have no plans to replace my HPWC or change anything about my home charging setup. I see no reason to do so since my Roadster has its own HPC charger for 70A charging.

Thanks. Helpful advice. Will keep my current HPWC until when I get my model 3 and then upgrade to daisy chain two new HPWC units. But that can wait as I’m quoted late 2018 for the 3.

Note to @2virgule5 : your post seems to say that the "new ones" (do you mean Tesla Wall Connectors?) max out "at 72A" but I do not think that is correct. They can be used on a 100A circuit and can charge older Model S with dual chargers at 80A. See Model S/X Wall Connector Quote: "For power sharing with more than one Tesla, install with as much power as possible, up to 100 amps." Also see page 4 of this document https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...l_connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf

I might have to replace my HPWC charging cable because the button on the cable end that opens the charge port door may be failing: I have to press that button multiple times to get the X charge port door to open. But that is an issue unrelated to your post.

Correct, I meant to say that with a single car there is no benefit. The new wall connector can indeed deliver up to 80A (and share as much total Amps when daisy chained). For 'most' of the S and all X fleets they will deliver max 72A (the max a single car can take - if you paid for that option).

I just went through this, posting a query much as you did, when selling mine to a colleague. The responses seemed to settle on $300 and that was fair to both me and my colleague, so we went with $300.

I'm not aware of any benefit other than daisy chain them if you get more than a Tesla. Charging speed will be the same than the current one, the only difference being that the new ones are maxing out at 72A instead of yours 80A. Better wait for the next one that will auto-plug automatically ;-)

The new HPWC can still be set for 80A max output when on a circuit rated for 100A.

The maximum power rating for the Wall Connector is 20 kW or 80A at 250V AC single-phase power.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...l_connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and mrElbe
Don't think so
Nope. Doesn't have the hardware. There is actually no 'downstream' and it's not 'daisy chaining' at all for the power. You have to read the manual carefully to see where all the confusion comes from.

The generation 2 version units are wired in parallel for *power* so they all have access to the same AC circuit. The *data* connection that lets them all talk among themselves is the 'daisy chain' part everyone talks about and it goes from unit 1 to 2 (and to 3 and 4, if present).

The connections for the data cable aren't present in the gen 1 units so there's no way to use them with gen 2 units

See the manual for the gen 2 unit for more (page 28): https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...l_connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf