Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New vs. old HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings! First post here.

A year ago I downsized from a larger house where I had two HPWC’s installed to a smaller one where I currently only have one.

During the move I had my electrician uninstall both HPWC’s, keep one as a spare and Install the other one in our current garage. Unfortunately he installed the older one (purchased in 2015) and kept the newer one (mid 2016) as the spare.

This didn’t cause any real issues and we alternated the cable between the S and the X every other day. About 6 months ago, however, I started getting a lot of “charging interrupted” messages and eventually the HPWC stopped working completely (blue LED when connected to either car which would never turn to green). The actual plug that goes into the vehicle charge port has a small chip on it and I am fairly convinced this is the issue.

I attempted to swap the cable between the current connector and the newer one but suddenly found myself a lot less smart when I found that the small wires in the two cables don’t match. Beside the 3 large wired in the old cable, there are two smaller wires (a purple and a yellow one), whereas in the new one there are 4 smaller wires (purple, blue, black, and orange).

Is there anyway to make this work? Perhaps two if the four wires can do the same function of the purple and the yellow wires in the old plug, and the other two can be left alone?

00395374-2222-4EBA-82A8-3992E6B2BAB7.jpeg

DO NOT attempt to swap cables between the new one and the old one. The new cable has heat sensors built into the plug. Therefore 4 small wires. Swap the whole old unit out. You are right, the charging problem is due to the old connector overheating and subsequently falling apart. When did you buy the old one? The warranty has been extended to 4 years.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and Nda721
I have to wonder.... Just installed a gen 2 HPWC and saw the dip switches inside label switch 2 and “legacy comm”. So is it possible that a gen 2 can talk to a gen 1 HPWC? Or did gen 1 HPWC not have communications and I’m missing the boat entirely?

DO NOT attempt to swap cables between the new one and the old one. The new cable has heat sensors built into the plug. Therefore 4 small wires. Swap the whole old unit out. You are right, the charging problem is due to the old connector overheating and subsequently falling apart. When did you buy the old one? The warranty has been extended to 4 years.
I bought the old one in September 2015, so if the Warranty is extended to 4 years it “should” be covered. I am hoping I could just get them To send me the cable so that I won’t have to uninstall the whole thing.

Thanks for the info.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nda721