Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New vs Old Rear Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
#fakenews

At the least, try to get some of the basic facts straight ... before sounding like an idiot :rolleyes:

curses-foiled-again-ica-niharschee2e-urger-com-curses-22599465.png

Last edited:
I think for most the VIN does not matter... Im 18xxx and I have old front and back. My back seat was not connected and it would not attach so the mobile team came out and fixed it. I saw them take the backseat out completely...It was pretty thin... I am going to ask him when he returns to do my headlight if I can get a retrofit or even pay to have that thicker back seat.... I assume no wires in the heated seats right? Since it came out with no wires....

• Helpful
Reactions: geometro
Err
Hate to point out one glaring difference between an ICE hood and a Tesla one.
Apart from the obvious lack of stinking engine in there, the ICE doesn’t have water proof seals to stop your gear from getting wet.
So they could make it easier to close by getting rid of the trunk type weather seals, but I’m guessing most of us would prefer a dry frunk :cool:
(

The obvious solution would be a soft close mechanism on the frunk to pull it tight. Would not only enhance comfort but also prevent scratches / dents in the lid from manual pushing.
Shouldn't be too expensive and could be part of the premium package.

• Love
Reactions: mtndrew1 and arnis
It may be due to the frunk being aluminum?
No it's not that. Many modern vehicles have aluminum hood. This doesn't change anything.

Hate to point out one glaring difference between an ICE hood and a Tesla one.
Well there are more frunks than only Tesla. Including ICE vehicles (with engines in the back). And most of them slam shut easily. And are waterproof.
Darn every 5-series hood is pretty much watertight. Full seal all around. Waterproofness is not an excuse.

Shouldn't be too expensive and could be part of the premium package.
Of course it is not. Soft close trunks everywhere, even on some cheapass vehicles. Mechanism costs 20-50 bucks.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-5_16-48-4.png
    upload_2018-6-5_16-48-4.png
    241.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Disagree
Reactions: Emmexx1
Recurring criticism cycle attributable to pretty much all vehicle design:

1) Interior is too small.
2) Exterior is too big.
3) Go to 1.

Once someone tried to invent perfection and came up with the Tardis, but it was cancelled for being too "boxy".

BTW, here in Missouri, the show rooms don't even have Model 3's yet. If you exclude once seeing one at the supercharger, I've never seen one. Looking forward to it someday. I really want to try out entry, exit, seating, etc. I might want to replace my S with one.

Is there still enough headroom for even moderate height people with the new rear seats?

A gentleman was trying out the rear seats while my wife and I were in the front. He said there was plenty of headroom for him but I saw about 2-3 inches from the top of his head to the glass roof. May be okay for smooth roads but I wondered about a bumpy road. When I sat in the rear, I had plenty of headroom. He was about 6 feet tall and I am 5' 9". I think today's average male height is 5' 10" so I would say that it would work for many folks. Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen
I'd love to help by working hard to find something to be annoyed about and start sending angry emails and forum posts etc.
But I can't find signs of any "blunders" in my car, it works great and functions well.
Enjoying driving around in my Model 3 more than wondering if the frunk would be so much better if I could slam it closed. (hint - I don't care)
Got so much more important things to think about - like deciding on a 2016 Zin or the 2014 Merlot with dinner :cool:

...no?

It makes sense to work those out before production starts

Because changes after that are much more expensive to the company.

Even moreso on things like the suspension where you also will swap the new parts on old cars at company expense if owners ask.
Of course that is in a perfect world. But one does not have the feedback of the customers on what issue that come up after the car is no longer a computer model. Without beta production models in the field how would Tesla get feedback on all the quality issues that actually impact the customer? There is no better way then having feedback from initial production vehicles since the statistics are there to help determine how much a problem each issue is. Work out all the quality issues now before ramping production. Toyota is number one because of their obsession on quality.

I have a gen 1 seat. I unlatched the seat cushion this morning and lifted the front end by a few inches - I think that if I find an appropriate wedge shaped insert to put between the seat base and the seat cushion that might make sitting much more comfortable. Then with the wedge removed one can lay the seat backs flat too and have best of both :) No idea what could be used as that wedge insert though...

I have a gen 1 seat. I unlatched the seat cushion this morning and lifted the front end by a few inches - I think that if I find an appropriate wedge shaped insert to put between the seat base and the seat cushion that might make sitting much more comfortable. Then with the wedge removed one can lay the seat backs flat too and have best of both :) No idea what could be used as that wedge insert though...

Keep us posted with pics.

I am 6'3''. I sat in the back seat and I was fine. I think the car had the gen 1 rear seats.
Did you try sitting in the middle rear seat?
I find it less comfortable, because I was sting in a much more higher position than the left of right seat,
and also the middle headrest is too small, it doesn't go up enough and is too far away from my neck.

• Informative
Reactions: arnis