Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New vs Old Rear Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's an interesting more general question, though, and I've thought about posting it as its own thread: How amenable is Tesla to updating older build vehicles with physical improvements as they slipstream them into new production, and what are data points on people getting each improvement for free/paid?

E.g.
- new front seats
- new rear seats
- trunk edge pad thing

(While we're at it, is there an official or unofficial single list of incremental hardware changes?)

It's an interesting more general question, though, and I've thought about posting it as its own thread: How amenable is Tesla to updating older build vehicles with physical improvements as they slipstream them into new production, and what are data points on people getting each improvement for free/paid?

E.g.
- new front seats
- new rear seats
- trunk edge pad thing

(While we're at it, is there an official or unofficial single list of incremental hardware changes?)
Hardware incrermental changes - I'd keep an eye on www.teslatap.com
A lot of good technical/historical details.
model 3 | Search Results | TeslaTap

Last edited:
The Pininfarina designed and built Peugeot 406 Coupé was an example of a car where nothing ever stayed the same. The entire model was used as a production test bed, and there were constant revisions to the components. The cars had Exhaust Gas Recycling systems and Particulate filters on the diesels which weren't required for another 3 or 4 years because Peugeot wanted to test it out before they put in on their later model ranges.

Even if you had the same year, trim level and engine there was no guarantee that the cars would be the same. A case in point was the centre consoles which changed numerous times (mine had cup holders, another didn't) and the door pocket liners (I had carpet, others had rubber). 2002 models had auto-window up/down control from the keyfob. Earlier and later ones didn't. I actually liked this feature because it meant I could climb out the window in tight parking spots, lock the car and put the windows up, and vice-versa to get back in.

There was a refresh which we called version 2, but between version 1 and 2 was version 1.5 with some of the new electronics on a modified older loom. I think some of these half-MUX v1.5s were limited edition models (Black and Silver) which had some items found on later cars like auto headlights and wipers, but no self-dimming rear mirror. The dashboards were different between versions too, so the in-between cars were a bit mix and match parts bin specials. The blue painted ones were very pretty - especially with cream leather: like something off a tropical beach; but the colours also never really stayed the same either and there were a number of different ones over the years and even the red had a few different shades.

The car was sold in such small quantities that it didn't even qualify for a Haynes manual. We ended up having to pretend to be a garage in order to access the official Peugeot Dealership system (on a Win XP laptop no less) for the technical diagrams and parts numbers.

Yes it was a bit annoying when you were trying to find spare parts (thank goodness for breakers' yards), but it was a beautiful looking car, and lots of fun to drive, especially after you remapped it. A Tesla Model S is probably one of the few cars that I'd think of as a real replacement for it.

To tie in with this thread the rear seats were amazingly comfortable with deep leather buckets and space that could easily accommodate the 6'+ person with comfort and space for both head and legs. Another note on seats, the top spec models obviously had full leather, but the Silver and Black editions only had half leather! Also some leather combinations were... interesting. The first time I saw the full red leather interior was, well, I guess it was very much about personal taste.

Should never have sold mine really, but boy was it a money sink :p I think I replaced every part on the car at least once. Such is the fun of driving a test-bed.

I think the differences just made it more exciting when you came across that real rarity: another person driving one of the 10,000 or so cars made, and got to see what they had in theirs!

I would expect that there will be a burgeoning 3rd party parts market for Teslas in the coming years and more and more people will swap in and out differing seat styles, trim levels and accessories. So perhaps going forwards you can have your cake and eat it.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Who thinks the Model 3 has better seats than the Model S?
The Model 3 rear center seat is not very comfortable compared to the Model S,
because you are sitting at a higher position than the right or the left rear passengers.

So if you have fives adults, for a long trip, the Model S would be nicer.
Otherwise, with only four adults, the Model 3 would be fine.

Last edited:
192298F5-2591-4C70-883B-67C684E6B6CD.jpeg
D62AA7B8-89AB-4388-BB79-B2DE9FA8D28A.jpeg
If the seats previously folded flat and now do not that's the first bit of news about the Model 3 that bums me out.

Well that and missing lifetime premium connectivity by two days.

Here are some pics to help. Does it fold flat? No. Does it matter much to me? No. YMMV.

Thanks for the pics!

About what I expected from a sedan so I won't be cancelling my order or anything :p I travel with one or two small dog crates (Cairn Terrier sized) and I feel like it's nicer for them if they are closer to the front than the trunk and on a level surface. In my MINI Clubman I folded down the rear seats the day I brought it home and put the seats back up 8 years later when I sold it. Those seats were in mint condition :)

• Funny
Reactions: NeverFollow
Thanks for the pics!

About what I expected from a sedan so I won't be cancelling my order or anything :p I travel with one or two small dog crates (Cairn Terrier sized) and I feel like it's nicer for them if they are closer to the front than the trunk and on a level surface. In my MINI Clubman I folded down the rear seats the day I brought it home and put the seats back up 8 years later when I sold it. Those seats were in mint condition :)

You should probably be fine. The Cairns will still get a good view of you and their surroundings. I did a lot of hand wringing before actually having the car delivered and have now found that all of those worries were just minor compared how this car performs. Both the wife and I love, love, love this car!

About what I expected from a sedan so I won't be cancelling my order or anything :p I travel with one or two small dog crates
(Cairn Terrier sized) and I feel like it's nicer for them if they are closer to the front than the trunk and on a level surface.
If you plan to keep the back seat folded most of the time, and want to keep the top surface horizontal as much as possible,
I wonder if you could not pass a strap all around the back seat, passing the strap below the back set, to slightly compress it
So this could lower a hedge about one or two inches, to make top surface more horizontal.

That might help. Coincidentally in the Dreamcase Review topic there was a video posted of how to remove the entire seat cushion
to get the entire area flat. I probably won't go that far but at least now I know how!

The author of the video also shows how to store the cushion seat behingd the front seats, which very common with station wagon.
However he has to move the driver's seat a little bit forward because the back seat headset are not removable.

KgLY86t.jpg

Anybody interested in the original FLAT back seats? Anybody near Seattle that wants to swap? If so let me know by messaging me back.
Now that we have the video on how to remove and reinstall this will be an easy swap out.
It would be cool to make someone else happy to get what they want as GEN1s are rarer.

Last edited:
Reactions: N8Howell33