Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New vs used M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got back feom looking at a 2018 M3P+. 34k miles, EAP, gray paint, 2 rashed wheels, tires need to be replaced. It has a few minor cosmetic issues, and has had body fixed twice, as listed on carfax. Wants $41k which is fair. But- he needs it for another 6 weeks while he waits for a Taycan.

I don’t need EAP, and I’m fine with white paint. I think I should just order a 2021 M3P for 57k. Which would you choose?

Reactions: PerfectNumber
I just got back feom looking at a 2018 M3P+. 34k miles, EAP, gray paint, 2 rashed wheels, tires need to be replaced. It has a few minor cosmetic issues, and has had body fixed twice, as listed on carfax. Wants $41k which is fair. But- he needs it for another 6 weeks while he waits for a Taycan.

I don’t need EAP, and I’m fine with white paint. I think I should just order a 2021 M3P for 57k. Which would you choose?

New one. That seems like a lot of compromises to save 16K (15K after tires), and if you are financing, you'll pay a higher rate on the used auto making it even less attractive. Not to mention the '21 has some great refresh features you'll miss out on w/ the used model 3. And finally the big drawback with buying a new car is initial value loss in the first year, but Tesla's retain their value much better than other vehicles.

Oh, and new Tesla smell.

Tim

I’d be tempted to wait. Not only are you saving quite a bit, but EAP, which is unavailable in the US, gets you about 90% of the way to FSD and is worth an extra $4k or so. I have it and love it, but probably wouldn’t spring for FSD at its current $10k price.

No way no how with 34K of abuse on the ticker. Guy's buying a Taycan, I'm sure he drove the M3 sedately.

The market right now is ridiculous, the instant gratification culture of this land results in old cars costing as much as new ones, or more.

In 2015 I bought my 6mo old 4000mi MS for 25k below MSRP, now we looked at a lightly used MY with 3000mi for 3.5k over MSRP. The
MY proportions look like out of a cartoon, wifie will need to stick to the Odyssey as my MS is getting replaced by an M3 LR and I can wait.
As for the refresh MS, it will still feature old tech, plenty of it, and is still too big for me.