Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New wall charger option w/ Nema 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The version I posted is 2017 NEC direct from the NFPA web site (free registration required - you can go look at it yourself). 2017 NEC is the latest version and is adopted in most jurisdictions now.
I wonder if someone at Tesla was still using an older version that allowed the 6 foot power supply cable. Oops! :eek:

I've seen the wall connector being discussed here but can't remember what certifications were on the label.

... Also, Tesla really needs to add a NEMA 6-30 adapter for the UMC Gen 2. 14-30 has a useless neutral and 10-30 has no proper ground. Need a way to make use of 10/2 wire that is existing in some installs! A TT-30 adapter would be nice too.

Agree with this. If there were two more adapters to be made, I'd vote for 6-30 and TT-30. (I've actually been experimenting with TT-30 at 240v without problem. But this should probably be the subject of a different thread.)

On the new wall charger: I hope they retained the adjustable current setting - because a lot of 14-50s are on 40 amp circuits.

• Love
Reactions: eprosenx
Agree with this. If there were two more adapters to be made, I'd vote for 6-30 and TT-30. (I've actually been experimenting with TT-30 at 240v without problem. But this should probably be the subject of a different thread.)

On the new wall charger: I hope they retained the adjustable current setting - because a lot of 14-50s are on 40 amp circuits.
In the model I saw, it still had the dial for adjusting the amps. It had a dip switch for adjusting the volts as well.

This is fascinating to me.

Here are a couple relevant sections. It is pretty clear to me that they only want a 12" cord from the EVSE (which is where the GFCI lives) to the plug.

So I just don't understand how Tesla's product is compliant.

I wonder if this is just plain and simple out of the jurisdiction of the NEC. If it is not hard wired in, I am not sure NEC applies...

The UMC being over 15 feet (from 625.17(3)(b)) seems like it would also be against the rules based on this... Maybe Tesla just ignores this since as long as they get a UL rating they are good.

View attachment 369332

View attachment 369333

Ack!

I just realized I may have misled folks in my last post. I missed the "B" section in 625.17. So I still don't get how this new device is allowed to have a cord longer than 12" into the Wall Connector, but I do understand how the UMC is allowed to be 20' long.

Perhaps Telsa figured out a way to put the contactor in the end of the cord or something?

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 7.48.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 7.48.41 PM.png

Ack!

I just realized I may have misled folks in my last post. I missed the "B" section in 625.17. So I still don't get how this new device is allowed to have a cord longer than 12" into the Wall Connector, but I do understand how the UMC is allowed to be 20' long.

Perhaps Telsa figured out a way to put the contactor in the end of the cord or something?

View attachment 369459

View attachment 369460
Why can't it have a longer cord? My Dryer does.

Why can't it have a longer cord? My Dryer does.

Dunno. This is how they wrote the 2017 NEC.

I think the theory is that they want the GFCI ability and contactor as close to the receptacle as possible, but yeah, it seems kind of arbitrary.

I get how you would want that for a portable cord style EVSE like the UMC, but the Wall Connector is a different story.

To your point, a dryer or a range is a good comparison.

My guess is that folks often may install these units in damp locations and so they wanted to minimize non GFCI protected distance? Though now the NEC technically wants a GFCI on any EV charging outlet (which also seems silly for dry locations).

<shrug> Maybe we should lobby the code council.

Dunno. This is how they wrote the 2017 NEC.

I think the theory is that they want the GFCI ability and contactor as close to the receptacle as possible, but yeah, it seems kind of arbitrary.

I get how you would want that for a portable cord style EVSE like the UMC, but the Wall Connector is a different story.

To your point, a dryer or a range is a good comparison.

My guess is that folks often may install these units in damp locations and so they wanted to minimize non GFCI protected distance? Though now the NEC technically wants a GFCI on any EV charging outlet (which also seems silly for dry locations).

<shrug> Maybe we should lobby the code council.
I'm not sure that NEC even applies here. NEC is for infrastructure. The wall connector is an appliance.

Anyway, I always figured the rule was to prevent snagging or tripping over the cord and causing a disconnect while the vehicle was charging. That could cause arcing. You'll see inside various EVSEs that the pilot wire is the shortest so if the cord gets pulled hard enough (hooked on another car's bumper? Someone managing to drive off despite the fact that all EVs I know won't do that while a plug is in), the pilot will disconnect first and kill the power draw before the power conductors get ripped out. Same idea.

With this gone and the Mobile Charger out of stock I'm a bit at a loss as to what I can do to upgrade my setup so I can always have a mobile charger in the car.

You can buy a Wall Connector and convert the receptacle to a hard wired setup. Depending on your wire gauge and available capacity you might be able to up it to 60a (48a continuous).

Or you could buy a second UMC and keep one st home, but I prefer the wall connector route myself.

You can buy a Wall Connector and convert the receptacle to a hard wired setup. Depending on your wire gauge and available capacity you might be able to up it to 60a (48a continuous).

Or you could buy a second UMC and keep one st home, but I prefer the wall connector route myself.
He could also put a 14-50 plug on the wall connector if he didn't want to do the electrical work. I wouldn't want to haul one around but for a semi-permanent install, it would be fine.

He could also put a 14-50 plug on the wall connector if he didn't want to do the electrical work. I wouldn't want to haul one around but for a semi-permanent install, it would be fine.
Unfortunately this is not allowed because the Tesla Wall Connector was not UL tested for the application. You will lose the listing by customizing. Many cities require charge stations to be tested by a national recognized test lab.

Last edited:
I suppose I should clarify. I had a 14-50 outlet installed when I built my garage. I didn't really see the need of the dedicated Tesla wall charger based on my daily use, and the 14-50 outlet seemed more generic if I were to get any other electric vehicles in the future.
I'd always planned to get a second mobile charger when I got my tax return until I saw the news about the 14-50 connected wall charger. Only now its apparently discontinued and the mobile charger is also out of stock with no information about when it will be available again.

So now I've got my return and no options to let me carry a mobile charger with me at all times.