Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Wall Connector :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read through the manual, which left me with a couple of questions -- Calling @FlasherZ ! :)
  1. The rotary switch tops out at 63A - why? Should it top out at 72A to match the new chargers?
  2. Does the NEC have opinions on daisy-chaining EVSEs on a single circuit is there is a control mechanism in place?

This is for non-U.S markets so the amperage could be different

Reactions: David99
Wow, $550 for the new version with 24ft cord on the online store. That is similar to 32 amp J1772 charger prices. Add in daisy chain capability and it seems like a steal. I hope lots of places get these installed. Seems like it would make deploying lots of L2 charging much easier/cheaper.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ulmo
Wow, $550 for the new version with 24ft cord on the online store. That is similar to 32 amp J1772 charger prices. Add in daisy chain capability and it seems like a steal. I hope lots of places get these installed. Seems like it would make deploying lots of L2 charging much easier/cheaper.

Ordered. Surprised price dropped, thought it was going to go back up to $1k.

Well done Tesla ... the HPWC is now $100-$150 cheaper than the UMC.

upload_2016-4-12_19-7-3.png

New HPWC.PNG

Flasher can you talk a little more about what you think or know (be clear on which...) re: master/slave relationship. For an owner with multiple cars, I presume this buys you the ability to have multiple cars plugged in (physically) and the chain of HPWCs connected to a single 100A circuit. Does this mean the HPWCs charge one car at a time (without "fiddling" with connectors)? Can you also "make it smart" such that you charge them at the same time -- say 70A + 10A?

The manual doesn't address it unfortunately, I'm reaching back to get some clarification on how that works. I'm guessing we're looking at one of two scenarios -- either it sequentially serves cars at full rate, or adjusts to load share equally across multiple cars that need it.

Would this allow for some lighting circuits to be augmented with these chargers? My first guess is no, since those parking lot lights are probably designed for particular loads, but if they exchanged those lamps with LED lamps, and/or pulled fresh large wires as McRat described (if the conduit allowed) would that allow for some circuits to have this most recent Tesla Wall Connector attached as McRat described?

Yes, it could. This would allow companies to install Tesla chargers in the main (3-phase, 480V/277Y) panels and avoid the need for step-down distribution transformers that are required for 120V / 240V loads.

But don't expect someone to slap these on the same wires going to poles -- you'll need to run new circuits to put these in parking lots. But at least it will not require yet another transformer to add them.

Read through the manual, which left me with a couple of questions -- Calling @FlasherZ ! :)
  1. The rotary switch tops out at 63A - why? Should it top out at 72A to match the new chargers?
  2. Does the NEC have opinions on daisy-chaining EVSEs on a single circuit is there is a control mechanism in place?

The NEC permits noncoincident loads (220.62).

The rotary switch actually goes to 80A (position D). I've attached the installation manual for the US/JP version, see page 21.

Attachments

• 80A Wall Connector Installation Manual EN-JP-ES.pdf
    6 MB · Views: 93