Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New warning icon in energy app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Does anybody know what this warning icon under the Energy app is for (See attachment)? It just started showing up a couple of days ago every time I 'start' the car, coincidentally right after my car was updated to v2.7.77. It was also the same day the Service dept pumped my tires to 46psi(they're at 41psi previously). The icon goes away as soon as I start driving.

Also, coincidentally I guess, my average energy consumption is now in the low 400's (30mi avg), where it was always in the low to mid 300's. I don't drive fast, or do jack rabbit stars anymore. The temp around here is in the 60s. I see the icon regardless of the battery charge level.

Thanks.

p.s. please refrain from replying with guesses.

Attachments

• 20151112_092901.jpg
    20151112_092901.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 236
How would it affect you knowing that it's somewhere between 0-50kW (likely around 30kW) as compared to knowing it's exactly at 25.3kW?

In winter it is actually useful information, since the driving dynamics of the S with no / mild / moderate / normal regen are significantly different.

The dynamic little dotted line in 6.2 and previous UI versions was easy to glance at and have an idea of what to expect while driving (i.e. before slowing down), as the battery got progressively warmer.

The forward momentum of the car with a cold-soaked battery and no or minimal regen is impressive (to be expected considering its weight), and can surprise a driver used to the vehicle slowing down with one-pedal driving. Not a good combination on slippery roads.

If that warning symbol moves around the kW circle like the line used to, then there would be minimal loss of functionality (albeit being less precise). If it is a static warning, then I would not be pleased (but I have a pre-AP classic MS, so am not affected).

Last edited:
In winter it is actually useful information, since the driving dynamics of the S with no / mild / moderate / normal regen are significantly different.

The little dotted line in 6.2 and previous UI versions was easy to glance at and have an idea of while to expect while driving (i.e. before slowing down).

So you're telling me the dotted yellow line above wont let you figure out if it's "no / mild / moderate / normal regen"?

It wont give you an EXACT number, but the yellow line moves as you get more or less regen available to you, so it will adjust and a quick eyeball glance should tell you if you have "no / mild / moderate / normal regen".

So you're telling me the dotted yellow line above wont let you figure out if it's "no / mild / moderate / normal regen"?

It wont give you an EXACT number, but the yellow line moves as you get more or less regen available to you, so it will adjust and a quick eyeball glance should tell you if you have "no / mild / moderate / normal regen".

I am not disagreeing with you, I was editing my post as you typed.

On the picture above there is no dotted line like we used to get in older UI versions (it was a short dotted line perpendicular to the kW circle that would dynamically indicate how much regen the battery could take).

I found an example here.

I am not disagreeing with you, I was editing my post as you typed.

On the picture above there is no dotted line like we used to get in older UI versions (it was a short line perpendicular to the kW circle).

I see that now. Yes, it moves. Probably about the same increments as pre v7, there might be 3-5 kw values it jumps to/from.

How would it affect you knowing that it's somewhere between 0-50kW (likely around 30kW) as compared to knowing it's exactly at 25.3kW?

Although I understand and agree with your point, it does make a pretty significant difference. Unlike knowing whether you have full power available, knowing whether or not your car is going to slow/stop as you expect it to is pretty important.

Given the above reason, the more we should have user selectable regen settings: Low - Medium - High, and even a No regen, just for winter driving. Or maybe Tesla will be so smart as to detect road condition and apply regen appropriately!:wink:

I'm just puzzled by the willingness to accept less information on these screens. It would be like calibrating the speedometer with just a line, but no actual numbers. Sure you could "figure out" how fast you're going by the length of the line eventually... but why?

Although I understand and agree with your point, it does make a pretty significant difference. Unlike knowing whether you have full power available, knowing whether or not your car is going to slow/stop as you expect it to is pretty important.

Like I mentioned above, the line is dynamic, so you can always tell how much you have. It wont be precise, but it'll be good enough for a quick glance.

I'm just puzzled by the willingness to accept less information on these screens. It would be like calibrating the speedometer with just a line, but no actual numbers. Sure you could "figure out" how fast you're going by the length of the line eventually... but why?

I don't think anyone has answered my question, about how knowing if you're regening at 32kw or 27kw will affect your driving? Maybe, I just don't understand.

The way I see it, this piece of information is not crucial and only a power user may care about it. I for one, am happy with the new energy display. I don't care if my instantaneous usage is 23.7kw or 32.3kw. I can tell where I am based on a quick glance to the IC, I can tell if I'm regening or accelerating or coasting, and how much. I can tell how much my regen is limited by a quick glance.

I understand the other perspective, some people want it, some people want a time and date and temp on the IC and 17", some people want a lot more info, more is better, etc. But I think the average user does not want or need it.

I, for one, like the simplicity of the new power meter.

Like I mentioned above, the line is dynamic, so you can always tell how much you have. It wont be precise, but it'll be good enough for a quick glance.

I don't think anyone has answered my question, about how knowing if you're regening at 32kw or 27kw will affect your driving? Maybe, I just don't understand.

The way I see it, this piece of information is not crucial and only a power user may care about it. I for one, am happy with the new energy display. I don't care if my instantaneous usage is 23.7kw or 32.3kw. I can tell where I am based on a quick glance to the IC, I can tell if I'm regening or accelerating or coasting, and how much. I can tell how much my regen is limited by a quick glance.

I understand the other perspective, some people want it, some people want a time and date and temp on the IC and 17", some people want a lot more info, more is better, etc. But I think the average user does not want or need it.

I, for one, like the simplicity of the new power meter.

+1. I am for simplicity of UI in normal driving. NEW diagnostic APPs to give us more info when the car is parked would be nice, similar to VT. Pleased that we now have TPMS in v7.:biggrin: Reason I am not using VT is because it is not a Tesla certified app, with all its disclaimers, and it also requires additional personal info.

I don't think anyone has answered my question, about how knowing if you're regening at 32kw or 27kw will affect your driving? Maybe, I just don't understand..

I'll give you an example: A bit over a year ago, I started to notice that under no condition was I able to get my full 60 kW of re-gen. Even if I dropped my foot right off the accelerator at 70 MPH, the dial would just quiver around 35 kW. Coincidentally, I noticed that my Supercharging speed was very slow (even for an A-pack) maxing out at around 20 to 30 kW even with the pack SOC quite low. I was able to watch and note these numbers to report to my Service Center. Interestingly, my SC reported they could find nothing wrong. A few weeks later I had the main contactors fail in my battery and Tesla had to pull the pack apart to fix it. After that, I had full re-gen numbers and faster Supercharging once again. I assume the symptoms I was able to see with my calibrated re-gen meter was telling me that I had some sort of high resistance connection failure going on in my contactors (Too bad Tesla didn't conclude this before I had a roadside failure).