Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New wheels and tires question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the newbie question:

Is the $6700 price for new 22" black rims + summer Pirelli Scorpions tiresome listed on the Tesla website a reasonable price? I have sticker shock!

I have a model X with 20" wheels, and the all-season tires that came with it are wearing down. I have winter tires I plan to mount on the 20's. And I want to buy black rims for summer with tires. Does $6700 seem reasonable for this? I was looking at aftermarket options on tire rack dot com. And tires alone are about $400 each and rims on the high end are the same. So it seems that aftermarket stuff is about $4000.

But then I look on T sportline and I see that similar packages are $7000+ or more.

So what am I missing? Why such a discrepancy in prices.

I always want to support Tesla as much as possible and don't mind paying a small premium to buy through Tesla. The service center here in Minneapolis always gives me EXTRAORDINARY service (always going above and beyond to help me). But does the $6700 seem.... reasonable?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

• Informative
Reactions: HugoBoss
Not sure if it's a reasonable price. A few things to consider:
  • Model-X is a heavy vehicle, and these rims are rated for that weight. When comparing other wheels, check what their weight rating is
  • The $6700 includes installation labour and shipping to your SC

Sorry for the newbie question:

Is the $6700 price for new 22" black rims + summer Pirelli Scorpions tiresome listed on the Tesla website a reasonable price? I have sticker shock!

I have a model X with 20" wheels, and the all-season tires that came with it are wearing down. I have winter tires I plan to mount on the 20's. And I want to buy black rims for summer with tires. Does $6700 seem reasonable for this? I was looking at aftermarket options on tire rack dot com. And tires alone are about $400 each and rims on the high end are the same. So it seems that aftermarket stuff is about $4000.

But then I look on T sportline and I see that similar packages are $7000+ or more.

So what am I missing? Why such a discrepancy in prices.

I always want to support Tesla as much as possible and don't mind paying a small premium to buy through Tesla. The service center here in Minneapolis always gives me EXTRAORDINARY service (always going above and beyond to help me). But does the $6700 seem.... reasonable?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Bobby, it depends on what you are looking to accomplish. If it's just blacking out the rims, then a plastidip or paint job on your stock 20s plus new tires will be a much cheaper solution. An added bonus is that you don't get the range hit by going up to 22s. I'm certain there are shops in MN that can do a nice rim paint job. I just ordered a new rear 20 tire from Tesla due to puncture and it was about 400 + tax with install and balancing. So all 4 would be about 1600 + let's say 1000 for the paint job = about 40% of the price of the 22s with Pirellis on the Tesla web store.

If you need another set of rims - then it's a whole other story

Thanks for your replies!

I am looking for a second set of rims: black 22" for summer. And I'd use my silver 20" for winter.

I don't mind spending the money for legit black rims (rather than painted ones). Just wanting to make sure the price is not out of line for what is customary for this.

When I looked on tire rack, I entered my vehicle make and model to get wheels/tires compatible with my vehicle weight, size, etc.

One option to consider is getting a set of true winter tires on 19 rims (black) and painting or dipping your 20's black and replacing the tires with summer or all season tires of your choice. I did this through tire rack and it was about $2200 for appropriate weight rated rims, very good Blizzak winter tires, mounted, and preinstalled with sensors. When the rims are blacked out they look bigger. 22's really kill your range and the ride on 19 or 20's is very nice. It is easy to forget that a 20 inch rim is actually much bigger than most cars. The range on the x suffers from the weight of the car as it is. I think the $6700 price tag IS high, but the range hit is worse. My 2 cents...

Reactions: Stasla and vandacca
How badly do the 22's kill your range?

I used to have them on my P90D Signature. I'd struggle to get more than 220 mi (on a 100% charge)

Realistically, for that price, I'd be looking at 22s that are much lighter, maybe even forged wheels. I remember seeing some nice ones on others' Xes. I love the stock 22s, but I just can't do the range penalty (which I've noticed I don't have with my 90Ds with the stock 20s).

What are the best 22" tires to replace on my 75D Model X? Any and all opinions are welcome! I've got about 14k miles on the car and it appears new tires are necessary. I live in South Florida so winter tires are not something I am concerned with. Thanks all!

Not all 22” wheels will kill your range. Any forged 22” wheels like the TSportlines, HRE, ADV1, and Vossen to name a few will give you better range than stock 20” Tesla wheels since they are lighter, but they are pricey. The Tesla 22” Tesla Onyx wheels are heavy and you’ll lose range.

I’d spend a little extra $ and get some forged aftermarket wheels if you’re willing to buy new Tesla 22” Onyx wheels.

If you’re wanting to purchase TSportline products, you can use my referral code link below for saving $100 off a $500 or more purchase.

T Sportline - Tesla Model S, X & 3 Aftermarket Accessories

Good luck in deciding to purchase a set of 22” wheels.

Last edited:
What are the best 22" tires to replace on my 75D Model X? Any and all opinions are welcome! I've got about 14k miles on the car and it appears new tires are necessary. I live in South Florida so winter tires are not something I am concerned with. Thanks all!

Check for tires with low rolling resistance indicated on the sidewall of the tires. Tesla uses Pirelli Scorpion Zeroes and I also like the wear rate and feel of Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires.

Why don't you look on Tesla parts for sale section in the forums... there are plenty sellers who want to get rid of their 22 inch OEM rims and wheels .... I just saw a brand new set there for 3700$. Thats a 2K savings right there and it was a pickup from Tesla direct. Cheers

Thanks for your replies!

I am looking for a second set of rims: black 22" for summer. And I'd use my silver 20" for winter.

I don't mind spending the money for legit black rims (rather than painted ones). Just wanting to make sure the price is not out of line for what is customary for this.

When I looked on tire rack, I entered my vehicle make and model to get wheels/tires compatible with my vehicle weight, size, etc.

Anything decent should set you back about 6000.00 for a package.

That said, Tesla's wheel package is WAY over priced. I have a stock set of 22" (black) wheels that came off as soon as I took delivery that would be considerably lower than the cost of new. Add a tire package and TPMS sensors and you should be about $3000.00 less than their price (or less). A used set shouldn't cost you all in more than about $3500.00 complete. PM me if you want to know more!

Bobby, it depends on what you are looking to accomplish. If it's just blacking out the rims, then a plastidip or paint job on your stock 20s plus new tires will be a much cheaper solution. An added bonus is that you don't get the range hit by going up to 22s. I'm certain there are shops in MN that can do a nice rim paint job. I just ordered a new rear 20 tire from Tesla due to puncture and it was about 400 + tax with install and balancing. So all 4 would be about 1600 + let's say 1000 for the paint job = about 40% of the price of the 22s with Pirellis on the Tesla web store.

If you need another set of rims - then it's a whole other story

stasla - i just got a puncture in one of my tires... the other three tires have about 30-40% thread left,... tire shop is recommending replacing all four.. do you agree? based on the availability was gonna switch from continental to pirelli... they didn't have match (front and back) michelin tires... thanks.

T gold - you only got 14k miles out of a new set of tires? i'm at about 28k on the 20" stock continental's that the X came with, with about 30-40% thread left.. i thought that was low...

stasla - i just got a puncture in one of my tires... the other three tires have about 30-40% thread left,... tire shop is recommending replacing all four.. do you agree? based on the availability was gonna switch from continental to pirelli... they didn't have match (front and back) michelin tires... thanks.
Yeah if they can't patch it, with 30-40% left might as well pull the trigger on a new set. Keep one or 2 of the old ones that are not punctured as a spare, if you can. In the off chance of a bad puncture to your new set, it will save you the hassle of waiting a few days for an out of stock tire ordered to replace an irrepairable hole down the road.