Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Wheels And Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how is it with curbing it? how is your ride comfort?
No wheel protection as the tires are a bit stretched. It will be better when I replace the tires with 285/40/19. Ride comfort def improved compared to the 21" that came with the car. Here's a picture of the tire stretch, very little wheel protection.

HF5_19_.png

Thanks, I'm trying to figure out thru this thread what size rim/tires to get that look good but have a little curbing protection. I think I'll also do the lowering kit as I really want comfort & looks. Which lowering kit is best? Tsportline or unplugged? I get my Y hopefully in a few weeks so planning out. I ordered with the 19". Would be nice not have to buy new tires if it looks good with new 19" rims. Tsportline, martian wheels & Vorstein. What weight should I try for? I got the long range, and want to be able to do 200 miles once a week. so keeping range would be nice. I notice folks talk about 8.5 vs 9, or offsetting rims etc, it's a bit confusing. And for those who have rim exposure, do the rim guards look terrible on it? I used to have them on my i8 which was blue with black rims, so i put the same color blue on the outer rim and it looked great. I'm getting a white tesla, can't decide satin, gloss black or gunmetal either lol. But if I go 20" rims will ride quality suffer? I don't need performance all looks :)

No wheel protection as the tires are a bit stretched. It will be better when I replace the tires with 285/40/19. Ride comfort def improved compared to the 21" that came with the car. Here's a picture of the tire stretch, very little wheel protection.

View attachment 674885
what's the benefit of 285/40/19? will range increase? better ride? any downside ? love the idea of better curb rash protection.

Thanks, I'm trying to figure out thru this thread what size rim/tires to get that look good but have a little curbing protection. I think I'll also do the lowering kit as I really want comfort & looks. Which lowering kit is best? Tsportline or unplugged? I get my Y hopefully in a few weeks so planning out. I ordered with the 19". Would be nice not have to buy new tires if it looks good with new 19" rims. Tsportline, martian wheels & Vorstein. What weight should I try for? I got the long range, and want to be able to do 200 miles once a week. so keeping range would be nice. I notice folks talk about 8.5 vs 9, or offsetting rims etc, it's a bit confusing. And for those who have rim exposure, do the rim guards look terrible on it? I used to have them on my i8 which was blue with black rims, so i put the same color blue on the outer rim and it looked great. I'm getting a white tesla, can't decide satin, gloss black or gunmetal either lol. But if I go 20" rims will ride quality suffer? I don't need performance all looks :)
If it’s any help i went with the Vossen HF-1 and did the 9” wide.
455CA424-125C-473B-BB2C-6C84DD7E9FB7.jpeg
7224B7BF-40BD-43EA-8E43-9074B8EA7B85.jpeg
I curbed my factory 20s twice and decided I was done. Totally my fault for the curbing but didn’t want to get the wheels repaired a second time. I plan to run those in winter with winter tires. Tires I chose have rim protectors built in. Factory Goodyear’s do not have any protection built into the tires.

what's the benefit of 285/40/19? will range increase? better ride? any downside ? love the idea of better curb rash protection.
I'm looking for a sporty-er look with wider tires. benefits may be (and a big MAY BE) better grip, traction, appearance (what I'm after), a bit more wheel protection (this was my fault as I shouldn't had gone with 255 on a 10" width wheel, but I was concerned about rubbing). I suspect range may decrease as the wider tires will be heavier, ride should be the same. why not go with stagger 255 front and 285 rear? I want to be able to rotate all 4 tires/wheels as needed. according to tiresize.com/calculator/, all same except width increases from 10" to 11.2" :)

Image 6-27-21 at 8.50 PM.jpeg

Honestly just got back from a 1200 mile road trip that I did a few months ago. The comfort is noticeable for sure and thoroughly enjoyable.

However my range has taken a huge hit. IDK if it’s the aerodynamic of the rims vs new ones or the summer vs snow rated all seasons. My first trip was 311wh/mi with it raining at 75-80mph on the stock Ubers and this past in dry roads with Vossen and all-seasons was 337wh/mi and I had to slow to make it to Supercharger. I think it’s more tire related but never know.

In the city I definitely have better range though.

That’s really poor efficiency on the new wheels. As a data point for you, I just did a ~900 mile road trip in a MYP with Ubers at 278 wh/mi average. Probably 70% of that was at 75mph highway speed, and tons of elevation change.

I'm looking for a sporty-er look with wider tires. benefits may be (and a big MAY BE) better grip, traction, appearance (what I'm after), a bit more wheel protection (this was my fault as I shouldn't had gone with 255 on a 10" width wheel, but I was concerned about rubbing). I suspect range may decrease as the wider tires will be heavier, ride should be the same. why not go with stagger 255 front and 285 rear? I want to be able to rotate all 4 tires/wheels as needed. according to tiresize.com/calculator/, all same except width increases from 10" to 11.2" :)

View attachment 678692
The 9” wide wheels don’t have the dished look. I was trying to keep decent efficiency while maintaining protecting the wheels. We do a lot of road trips (8k miles in 4 months) so I need the best of both worlds. Went with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and they handle like super glue. I like to play on back roads.

View attachment 678692
so did it make a difference? or should I stick with 255/45/19