Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Wheels And Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I’m not well versed in aftermarket rims, but we have to get rid of these 21” Übers before the winter comes on our Model Y Performance.

My question is, we are looking at a pair of Vossen HF-3 20x9 +38 offset and a 255/40/r20 tires. Is there any reason this rim wouldn’t work? I calculated it in willtheyfit calculator and it seems good? I have the option of customizing the offset, but 38 is what I see most common for 9” wide rims.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a guide for the stock wheels size and offset: The Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Guide

FWIW: I went with Vossen HF-3's in 19x9.5 +40 (with the stock Conti's) and they fit perfect. Vossen sent them to my dealer raw and we had them powder coated satin black locally (saved about 6 weeks because Vossen's powder coat shop was backed up due to COVID).

Vossen recommended sticking with the same width, but going with a slightly lower-than-OEM offset (from +45 to +40) as that brings the outer edge of the wheel further out. Since the HF-3' have a "deep" profile, they actually only moved just bit more flush with the fender. I think the look is fantastic and again they fit perfect. No issues with clearance, etc.

825E8CB2-8AD9-4400-9DCB-67B7E828E5D7.jpeg
604563A8-37DD-4D26-987B-72753A524D39.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's a guide for the stock wheels size and offset: The Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Guide

FWIW: I went with Vossen HF-3's in 19x9.5 +40 (with the stock Conti's) and they fit perfect. Vossen sent them to my dealer raw and we had them powder coated satin black locally (saved about 6 weeks because Vossen's powder coat shop was backed up due to COVID).

Vossen recommended sticking with the same width, but going with a slightly lower-than-OEM offset (from +45 to +40) as that brings the outer edge of the wheel further out. Since the HF-3' have a "deep" profile, they actually only moved just bit more flush with the fender. I think the look is fantastic and again they fit perfect. No issues with clearance, etc.

View attachment 591781 View attachment 591779

Wow, yeah that looks great. The thing that sucks is that 20" doesn't come with our 114.3 bolt pattern so its either 10" or 9" width for the 20" rims. Such a dilemma for this one. I don't want them sticking out too much more because of possible slinging of debris everywhere. Might go back to the drawing board and re-consider 19" and the 9.5" width. Really wondering how the Performance will work with the 9" width of the rim and a 255 tire.

So just got off the phone with the Vossen rep and they did recommend 9.5 width and a +38 offset for the car and that would be a perfect setup. I guess this is what I'll end up going with. I just don't want the rim to stick out too far out and sling stuff on the car so we shall see!.

Wow, yeah that looks great. The thing that sucks is that 20" doesn't come with our 114.3 bolt pattern so its either 10" or 9" width for the 20" rims. Such a dilemma for this one. I don't want them sticking out too much more because of possible slinging of debris everywhere. Might go back to the drawing board and re-consider 19" and the 9.5" width. Really wondering how the Performance will work with the 9" width of the rim and a 255 tire.

these are 20x9 ET 25.Flush 255/40R20 fits perfect. Gives a little rim protection
D412F448-A90F-4BDC-B8C5-5E565EF9E31E.jpeg
5BF2D5D5-5DF7-41AE-82DC-052F3316E19D.jpeg
EE13111F-C6EF-4F7F-912B-6846A9CEB6B9.jpeg

View attachment 591781 View attachment 591779

Thanks again for the info. We went 20x9.5 +38 in the “deep” wheel cut. I finally got them in and mounted them yesterday. I have to say, they are worth every penny and the fitment was superb. I snapped some quick shots in the driveway but it was raining. I was amazed at how light these were especially compared to the Uberturbines. Holy crap those were bricks!

Attachments

• 3C52E65B-E39B-4078-A5EA-35846FBE153B.jpeg
    3C52E65B-E39B-4078-A5EA-35846FBE153B.jpeg
    497.1 KB · Views: 434
  • FCF1ABD8-E75D-43E6-A61E-6FFF117E56BB.jpeg
    FCF1ABD8-E75D-43E6-A61E-6FFF117E56BB.jpeg
    662.3 KB · Views: 407
Reactions: Barrygold
The HF-3's look awesome!! jf64k inspired me to paint the calipers orange, so am in the process of getting that done ;)

I ended up going with the HF-5 in satin black for a more sporty/technical look.. can't wait to get them mounted!

View attachment 600647

Those look amazing too. We were going back and forth between the two. HF-3 won by a margin, only because we saw them on a M3 in real life. Follow up with a pic after you get them on. Excited to see how they look!

Thanks again for the info. We went 20x9.5 +38 in the “deep” wheel cut. I finally got them in and mounted them yesterday. I have to say, they are worth every penny and the fitment was superb. I snapped some quick shots in the driveway but it was raining. I was amazed at how light these were especially compared to the Uberturbines. Holy crap those were bricks!

Those look great in 20”!!

Wow, makes me a bit sad with my 19’s haha!!

Congrats!!

If you have custom wheels and get a flat, will Tesla roadside refuse to fix the flat?
Since the diameters of both tires should match they can bring you a wheel and tire as a loaner until you get your tire fixed at an independent shop on the custom wheel or they can patch the tire on the custom wheel. I personally carry a tire patch kit and compressor with sealant as a last resort.