Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Wheels for MS 19” vs 20” EVwheel turbine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I’m contemplating buying new wheels for 2021 MS. I came across EVwheels direct they have incredible pricing but they I just literally got the car and it’s pretty expensive I don’t want to screw anything up.

#1) I’ve the stock 19” Tempest wheels and I noticed the car only allows your to pick a 19” or 21” wheel configuration (based on what they sell I guess) should I stock to 19” based on this? The car only has 300 miles on it so if I do this I guess I can reuse my tires and TPMS.

#2) I’ve read on other threads people that have had issues with their TPMS after changing wheels. Anyway with experience with this? Should I be concerned.

#3) do you think I’ll experience noticeable difference in ride quality and range going to 20” vs 19”?

I really appreciate this group everyone is very helpful. This is the most expensive car I’ve purchased to date so I’d like to make sure I’m making the right call. Thanks again!

picture of what I’m considering attached.

Attachments

• 0FE37F31-C4D4-4EA2-ACC9-38BC41784CF6.jpeg
    0FE37F31-C4D4-4EA2-ACC9-38BC41784CF6.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 131
Hi Everyone,

I’m contemplating buying new wheels for 2021 MS. I came across EVwheels direct they have incredible pricing but they I just literally got the car and it’s pretty expensive I don’t want to screw anything up.

#1) I’ve the stock 19” Tempest wheels and I noticed the car only allows your to pick a 19” or 21” wheel configuration (based on what they sell I guess) should I stock to 19” based on this? The car only has 300 miles on it so if I do this I guess I can reuse my tires and TPMS.

#2) I’ve read on other threads people that have had issues with their TPMS after changing wheels. Anyway with experience with this? Should I be concerned.

#3) do you think I’ll experience noticeable difference in ride quality and range going to 20” vs 19”?

I really appreciate this group everyone is very helpful. This is the most expensive car I’ve purchased to date so I’d like to make sure I’m making the right call. Thanks again!

picture of what I’m considering attached.
The rolling diameter of the 19‘s and the 21’s are virtually the same and the wheel configuration only changes the car screen avatar so selecting 21" will give you a Turbine avatar that will match your new wheels closely.

The old TPMS sensors can be reused and the car doesn’t know they are in new wheels so it will not cause any issues unless they are damaged by a careless person removing and installing.

The difference in ride quality may change a little going to 20’s but the new Raven suspension is pretty good anyway. I have 21’s on both of our Performance S’s and they seem good so 20’s can only be better. The bigger wheels are mainly for esthetics not ride quality, I much prefer the look over any slight loss of comfort.

Reactions: pabla
The rolling diameter of the 19‘s and the 21’s are virtually the same and the wheel configuration only changes the car screen avatar so selecting 21" will give you a Turbine avatar that will match your new wheels closely.

The old TPMS sensors can be reused and the car doesn’t know they are in new wheels so it will not cause any issues unless they are damaged by a careless person removing and installing.

The difference in ride quality may change a little going to 20’s but the new Raven suspension is pretty good anyway. I have 21’s on both of our Performance S’s and they seem good so 20’s can only be better. The bigger wheels are mainly for esthetics not ride quality, I much prefer the look over any slight loss of comfort.
Thanks for the feedback. You think it’s worth removing the TPMS from the old set or should I just buy a new set from the place I’m buying the wheels from?

I would buy new TPMS sensors. You may have seen one of my threads on TPMS woes when I swapped to aftermarket wheels. I can recommend these sensors as a good replacement that has had no problems - just put them in and drive:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0768S4SXR

I plan to put the stock wheels and tires back on the car when I sell the car, so it will be nice to not have to swap the sensors again. You'll probably save on labor as well.

Thanks for the feedback. You think it’s worth removing the TPMS from the old set or should I just buy a new set from the place I’m buying the wheels from?
If the sensors are cheap enough you can buy new ones. Many sellers of wheels try to really gouge uninformed buyers on the price of sensors. There is virtually no effort swapping sensors so it is up to you. I own an auto dealership so I often just program a new set of sensors and install them if I’m not removing the tires from old wheels but if the tire is off the wheel it only takes seconds to remove the sensors and the same to reinstall them. Our cost on new sensors in bulk is only $12-$15 each and we program them ourselves per car. The ones listed above on Amazon are less than $20 each programmed and shipped so they are well worth it to buy. I see that EVwheels charges $60 for each sensor and T-sportline charges $75 each, both are really insane. Everyone has a right to make a reasonable profit but gouging is not right.

Last edited:
I really appreciate that. Yes they were really expensive at EVwheel. I was going to order the ones suggested by @beatle above. You think all the sensors are the same for model S because those on Amazon say Model S 2014-2018 and I’m in a 2021. Sorry for the all questions.