Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New wheels - TSW Ohm 20" - designed for Teslas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After looking at my car on my summer set (Stance SF03), putting the OEM wheels with winter tires back on the car for winter was a real let down. Don't get me wrong - the OEM 20s are nice, but I wanted something a bit more unique.

When I bought the Stance wheels, they were one of the few forged wheels that were A) a proper fit for the Model 3P and B) didn't cost an arm and a leg. In the intervening months, more and more options have appeared, but nothing that fit my requirements of good looks, relatively light weight and reasonable pricing.

Enter the TSW "Ohm" series of "rotary forged" wheels. These are the "Lightning" model. I'm told that these were designed with Tesla in mind (hence the name - get it?) but in any case they fit perfectly, and I'm really happy with the looks. Yes, they're similar to the Stance wheels and they're also slightly heavier, but they're much less expensive and so provide a good blend of attributes for my winter setup. The tires are Michelin Pilot Alpin, in the OEM 235/35/20 size.

Wheel details: 20" x 9", ET30 - 26 lbs.

I purchased these through my friend Tim at Discount Tire in Glendale Heights, IL - give him a call if you're in the area and want great service and pricing on wheels and tires for any vehicle!

enhance

enhance

enhance

Nice!

Just make sure you give the curbs a little more room when parking. 235's on a 9" wheel are within spec but they're going to be stretched and not provide any curb protection.

Technically no they are not stretched. If you're used to compressed sections which most manufacturers do simply because it saves them money and weight on what are typically rather heavy and also somewhat vulnerable cast wheels, putting a 9 in rim on the OEM spec Michelin Pilot Sport 4S might appear stretched. Since the section width on that tire Is actually 9.5 inches you're not getting technically stretched until you exceed that number. But for sure both the tire and the rim are exceptionally vulnerable to curbs. That's true even on the 8.5 inch wide stock OEM boat anchors. But in exchange for somewhat more vulnerability to curbs a wider wheel actually helps stabilize the contact patch under heavy cornering loads. Like everything else it's all trade-offs!

Last edited:
Those are pretty heavy but I suppose most 20” are.

Enjoy!

Yes unfortunately your only option to drop serious weight is to go forged. That usually means upwards of a thousand bucks a corner but vertini makes a series called VS forged that are really lightweight basically just under 20 pounds in a 20 by 9 inch size for only six hundred bucks a wheel which is a real deal. Many rotary forged wheels for example the vorsteiner cost that much and are significantly heavier of course (5-6 lbs more per corner). You can get these at get your wheels.com. I've been extremely pleased with my vs 14s

Technically no they are not stretched. If you're used to compressed sections which most manufacturers do simply because it saves them money and weight on what are typically rather heavy and also somewhat vulnerable cast wheels, putting a 9 in rim on the OEM spec Michelin Pilot Sport 4S might appear stretched. Since the section width on that tire Is actually 9.5 inches you're not getting technically stretched until you exceed that number. But for sure both the tire and the rim are exceptionally vulnerable to curbs. That's true even on the 8.5 inch wide stock OEM boat anchors. But in exchange for somewhat more vulnerability to curbs a wider wheel actually helps stabilize the contact patch under heavy cornering loads. Like everything else it's all trade-offs!
'Technical' or not, when the tread width of the tire is thinner than the wheel width and the sidewalls angle inward, that's what I call stretched.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
'Technical' or not, when the tread width of the tire is thinner than the wheel width and the sidewalls angle inward, that's what I call stretched.

That's nice. You can have your own definition of stretched and stick to it if you like. But that's not stretched. Stretched is not about tread width vs. Wheel width its about section width vs. wheel width. Even by your definition the tread width is 8.8 in and the mounting surface is basically identical to that at 9 in. That's not really stretched.

There's a joke to be made here about ohms, form over function for wheels, and reduced efficiency.
I feel like Tesla could conceivably produce aero covers for all their wheel sets to alleviate range concerns for those times that function trumps form (Not on the track or flexing your new hot ride) especially as these cars become more commonplace and accessible to your average folk.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
I think the point being made here is that a wheel wider than the tread is more susceptible to scuffs and scrapes or general damage to than one more suitably sized.

Once you get 20in wheels, not really. The difference is academic unless you're willing to squeeze the heck out of the tire with a skinny rim. And if you're that concerned about sidewall and wheel damage stay away from 20 inch wheels in general. 20in wheels are not for wussies.

Reactions: ElectricIAC