Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Wifi Wall Connector 48 amps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This needs clarification: Not dedicated main breaker at the main panel, but does need its own dedicated sub-breaker in the sub-panel just before each wall connector--still on the one main branch circuit.

The version 2 could split the power wiring the exact same way, with sub-breakers. They are still functionally very similar, with a slight difference. You would still do one main run to get the single circuit to your garage. Then, with both versions, you did have to split up the power connections first, with some kind of box, just before putting them into the wall connectors. That could be done a couple different ways, but you could use subpanel with breakers with either one. There is both more and less flexibility in different aspects of the two methods:

With the version 2, there is less flexibility about how you allocate the current, so you have to size the feeds for all as if they are the max. But because they are all going to be the same size of wiring and amps, you have some flexibility in how you wire that upstream junction box. You don't have to use breakers, but can do wire to wire Polaris-type splices.

With the version 3, there is more flexibility with how you allocate the current, with a lot more potential devices on the circuit, and you can spec them for various smaller amp levels instead of max, so you can use smaller wire for that last leg connections. But then that does require less flexibility with the upstream box. For whatever amps you are picking for each one, you do have to then breaker it for that.

My particular issue is that I only had space for one circuit in the sub-panel in my garage when I installed my V2 so I ran conduit and pulled #2 wire to a work box for a future HPWC. I made a few loops of wire to leave some to work with and continued the #2 along with a communication wire to HPWC that I am using now. With any luck the V3 will be backwards compatible.

Or, I guess I can hunt for a used V2.

Edit: I guess I could replace the work box with a sub-sub panel since I pulled a full-sized ground but hat would be a pain.

Last edited: