Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New windscreen fitted - Model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, no courtesy car - Churchill would provide a loan car for vehicle damage/accident/breakdown but do not consider even major damage to a windscreen as applicable for a loan car. To get any benefit from insurance I have to use Churchill's linked Autoglass though, by all accounts, its not just Autoglass who can't get any glass as Tesla are short too.

In spite of appearance (see message #49 in this thread for the damage) the screen currently doesn't leak - it seems to have had an additional few specks of 'glass dust' on the dashboard following recent storms. Driving it though could shake it enough to break the glass some more so not a good idea to try to drive it not least of all because I can't see through the crazing well enough to drive safely. That plus the wipers cannot work - one wipe and they'll be shredded to bits!

These delays are worrying.

Does anyone know of an insurance package which would cover a courtesy car while waiting for a windscreen replacement?

I've just read the terms from several big insurers, all the ones I've seen have "windscreen only" damage specifically excluded even when adding their enhanced courtesy car option.

They are clearly aware these delays can happen all too often.

Last month I got a chip too (in my 2 month old M3LR), below the sightline in front of the steering wheel. It's in the black edge zone. Went to Halfords who said "not repairable" because they couldn't slide their heater under it. Looks like a bubble with a pin hole in it, so the glass has delaminated under the impact point. Reading all this talk of glass shortage I am debating whether or not to get it in for exchange, or just leave it as is and see if it cracks. It's otherwise not noticeable.

Is there something particularly fragile about the Tesla glass?

So I've had my M3LR for a couple weeks and got a small chip the other day....

Have had a bit of a tough time working out whether autoglass can/can't do a chip repair. Seems they can so they're coming tonight but I did learn some stuff in the meantime:

1) Directline said that they are aware of the delay with autoglass and getting new windshields, and as such they said I was ok to go ahead and get it done at a Tesla service centre and they'd cover it.

2) This would have been great, if it weren't for the fact that as it turns out Tesla apparently has no stock of glass in Europe currently and would not be able to replace the windshield within a month.

So it seems like if you do need a windshield replacement, you're going to be waiting for some time, but there's also no benefit to getting it done via tesla instead of autoglass as they both have substantial wait times.

I'm crossing my fingers the chip repair goes ok cause damn I do not want to be waiting a month or more
A ranger told me the other day that Tesla does have stock in some places. I know on other forums people have had them replaced there. Can’t say which branches though.

I worry about my windscreen needing to be replaced too in the future. Surely you can’t be expected to have to pay to hire a car yourself for the months it’s taking. What if it’s a lease car, the lease company could have some sway over this since you are paying monthly them for a car you can’t drive.

Will I be able to send Autoglass a bill for calibration then?
I know this is an old post, but for future reference in case this happens to others…

I had the same issue with my Range Rover, stone chip larger than a pound coin, so had to have the window replaced. Autoglass could not calibrate the cameras, so it had to go to Land Rover for this (at a cost of £350).

I argued with my insurance company that the windscreen XS (£75) should cover whatever it costs to get the windscreen replaced, including any additional costs such as camera calibration. They huffed and puffed but after an email to them, they paid for the calibration.

Don’t be fobbed off by the Insurance company.

Is there something particularly fragile about the Tesla glass?

I don't think so. With stone hits/chips it seems to be luck of the draw. A couple of years ago I had really hard thwack (Model 3) that I would have expected to show significant damage, perhaps with a crack. In fact there was only surface damage with a group of small nicks, fortunately towards the lower edge of the screen. Halfords dealt with it for about £40. Fingers crossed but no issues since. I've certainly had other cars over the years that have had a screen damaged enough to require replacement having received only a moderate hit.

For those wondering, it seems that the cost of getting the windshield replaced by Tesla on the M3 is £865.
This is including a fee for calibration which was included in the invoice (which seems to confirm that the car DOES require manual calibration after a windshield replacement)

I worry about my windscreen needing to be replaced too in the future. Surely you can’t be expected to have to pay to hire a car yourself for the months it’s taking. What if it’s a lease car, the lease company could have some sway over this since you are paying monthly them for a car you can’t drive.
I think this is just a temporary situation. With the number of M3s now in the UK, and new ones being sold, the screen is going to be more commonly stocked - it is no longer a niche vehicle.

It's interesting how the side cameras need no manual calibration and have no manual adjustment anyway, yet one could argue are equally important for autonomy. Seems suspiciously inconsistent.
When I had my screen changed last year autopilot was definitely off, too far to the right, and no idea about how well it was detecting things heading towards the front. Calibrated by Tesla in about 20 minutes and back to normal.

When I had my screen changed last year autopilot was definitely off, too far to the right, and no idea about how well it was detecting things heading towards the front. Calibrated by Tesla in about 20 minutes and back to normal.

Yep, so therefore the side cameras could be equally off. Especially with Tesla's build tolerances. It's all a bit suspicious.

It doesn't matter how you look at it, it's inconsistent.

Hello. My windscreen received a chip slightly larger than a £2 piece today on the M1. Churchill insurance directed me to Autoglass.
Autoglass have also informed that that there is a National Shortage (as per other posts on this thread).
Most frustrating.

Hello. My windscreen received a chip slightly larger than a £2 piece today on the M1. Churchill insurance directed me to Autoglass.
Autoglass have also informed that that there is a National Shortage (as per other posts on this thread).
Most frustrating.
I know its not standard practise, as it is bigger than a £2 coin, but have you asked Autoglass to do a temporary repair with the resin, until the screen is replaced?

I'm with Churchill - they sent me directly to Autoglass to get the screen replaced costing just the £75 excess.
Autoglass have not had Tesla windscreens in stock for the past 5 weeks - that's how long I've been waiting so far with my undrivable car :(
An installer on the SpeakEV forum has heard from Dartford SC that they are expecting a big shipment of screens around mid March.
Churchill only supply loan cars for accidents but don't offer anything for just busted screens!
So I'm stuck at home until Autoglass get some Tesla glass.

I know its not standard practise, as it is bigger than a £2 coin, but have you asked Autoglass to do a temporary repair with the resin, until the screen is replaced?
Hi MoBo. Thanks for your message. I had Autoglass come out today to do a temp repair. It's not great, but it allows me to drive the car.

I will wait for Autoglass to have stock of the replacement windscreen. I asked Churchill if Tesla could fit the glass, if they have stock.
They told me that they will only cover the cost of the windscreen up to £200 if I went down this route (minus Excess of £75). They would however cover the cost of Tesla calibrating the car cameras.

I think someone in this thread mentioned that Tesla charge approx £800 for the windscreen, as such Autoglass is likley to be the far cheaper option

Just curious if anyone who has recently had their windscreen changed by Autoglass, also had their cameras calibrated by them?

Queried camera calibration with an Autoglass rep on the phone and they said they "do all that" when they change the windscreen. Don't know if I can take their word for it though.

Just curious if anyone who has recently had their windscreen changed by Autoglass, also had their cameras calibrated by them?

Queried camera calibration with an Autoglass rep on the phone and they said they "do all that" when they change the windscreen. Don't know if I can take their word for it though.
Has *anyone* had a replacement screen from Autoglass since mid January?
I've been waiting 13 weeks now and still get the weekly Autoglass text missive "sorry, no glass" :(