Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a week of noticing the air conditioner, here in sunny SW Florida, seemed to be intermittently blowing warmer than it ought to have, we got a notice on the screen saying HVAC system needed dealer service, and stopped working all together., this on last Friday evening. Research here talked about soft resets and hard resets, and compressor and sensor failures. The app told me my first available appointment was a week from Monday, yesterday, and that essentially would render the car useless to my wife (her car) until it was fixed. So I decided I had nothing to lose, and showed up yesterday morning at the local SC first thing, first in line. At that time of the morning, it was cool enough to ride windows down, and don't you know, sitting at the light across the street from the SC, the AC came on and started working! Typical! They told me to expect late in the day or next morning to look at it, I Ubered home on their nickel, and was pleased when about noon I got a call saying all set, gtg. I Ubered back.
The problem they diagnosed and fixed was a short to ground in wiring to the solenoid for the expansion valve. They repaired this and re-secured the harness, which makes me think it was not well secured previously, maybe rubbing somewhere it shouldn't have. I've never seen this mentioned here in the forums, and is something to be aware of if your cooling is intermittent. Not that I could tell you where to look to find this, but I suppose someone with knowledge of the system might be able to clear a short like this if they knew where the harness is, especially if out of warranty.
Happily cooling again, good experience at the Fort Myers SC, and we carry on!

I pray and hope that the issue has been permanently resolved. My Tesla Model Y was delivered on March 6. Approximately one month later, I tried using the A/C but it didn't work. I scheduled an appointment and took it in for service. The diagnosis revealed it was a hardware issue and after a couple of days I received a call to pick up the car. All seemed fine until late June when I was driving in from Indiana on a 95 degrees day and the A/C failed again. I scheduled an appointment and took the vehicle in on June 30. A rude associate informed me I didn't understand how to operate the vehicle and we went back and forth before he checked it in for repairs. It took another 25 minutes haggle before he could authorize a loaner. Today is exactly 20 days and I'm still driving a loaner around. No one has had the courtesy to update me on the progress of the repairs until yesterday when I finally reached someone on the phone. He informed me that the HVAC system or something in that area needs to be replaced and they have not had any luck procuring the part.

It's so frustrating spending this amount of money on a vehicle and then it breaks down within a month. Worse still is the abysmal customer service that the brand offers. Tesla needs to step up its game to the levels of Mercedes Benz and other luxury brands.

You and me both, it's another long hot s fl summer. Sorry you had such a poor experience, I've been in the service business for 40 years, and still can't understand why service writers think they know more about my (or your) car than I do. Some seem to take the attitude that you're an imposition on their day. Not all, certainly, but when you get one like that it sours you on the whole operation.