Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New X with loud fan noise from frunk area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
We just picked up a new X last week and notice a loud fan noise(jet engine) from the front area. I've read in the past about crossed AC lines but that was for early vins. Outdoor temps were in the low 90's and AC was on at 2-4 level. We have to speak up in the car and turn up radio. Pretty unacceptable for a new car. Our M3 is whisper quite.

Just wondering if any recent owners had this problem. Will be taking in the SC soon.

Thanks!

Hello all,
We just picked up a new X last week and notice a loud fan noise(jet engine) from the front area. I've read in the past about crossed AC lines but that was for early vins. Outdoor temps were in the low 90's and AC was on at 2-4 level. We have to speak up in the car and turn up radio. Pretty unacceptable for a new car. Our M3 is whisper quite.

Just wondering if any recent owners had this problem. Will be taking in the SC soon.

Thanks!

Mine makes noise like that in the garage when it is hot and when I am just backing out. It sounds like the fans that pull in air to the AC condenser at low speeds. Even has a resonance sort of warble which sounds like fan harmonics. I always leave the Climate in auto.

Once I get up to 10 MPH or so and drive to end of the block it goes away. Not too worried about it, because the A/C is nice and frosty. It has done this since the first day I owned the car.

Last edited:
You are likely to be told that it is normal. But if you don't think it is, push back. I was told that my X's excessive noise was normal, but after escalating and taking my X to a different SC... this:

AC Compressor Replacement.jpeg

In my case, my AC went from not making a terrible sound to making a terrible sound. It wasn't something that I'd call jet engine, but more of a vibration screech/buzz. It was actually embarrassingly loud and identifiably faulty sounding -- gauging the reactions and comments I received from strangers and friends.

What are your climate settings? In the 90s it should be a bit noisy for the first few minutes, then die down. If you leave the climate on LO and use the fan to regulate the temperature, it will try to give you as cooled of air as possible, which could cause more noise. The auto climate system is pretty good at getting to the set temperature with minimum drama, if you use it by setting a temperature and leaving it in auto.

What are your climate settings? In the 90s it should be a bit noisy for the first few minutes, then die down. If you leave the climate on LO and use the fan to regulate the temperature, it will try to give you as cooled of air as possible, which could cause more noise. The auto climate system is pretty good at getting to the set temperature with minimum drama, if you use it by setting a temperature and leaving it in auto.

You are spot on. We do set temp to LO and adjust fan as needed. I have never been happy with any Auto setting from any maker. The fan is always too high(and loud). I'll play around with the temp to find a happy medium....or back to Auto.

Thanks for the response!

Ditto @DarkMatter

I used to set the temp to "low" and feather the fan to suit my needs, but found that 'auto' works SO much better! If I'm concerned about noise (and not dying of heat prostration), I will typically set the cabin temp to 75 or so, and then once it seems to be approaching that temp, drop it down to my customary 68. All the while leaving the settings on 'Auto'. This way, the noise is mitigated.

If I'm either; A) not worried about noise, or B) personally overheated, I put the temp directly to 68 and let ReX do her thing.

Either way, it's worked better than my old method of 'Low and adjust fan'. :)

ours is very loud too. they told me that it's normal for an X. we have an S also that has very quiet fan unless it's super hot and we are running high fan speed. we also had ticking fan blade noises on the X so they inspected it further and i think are planning to replace the AC compressor. i don't know if that will take care of the loudness since i haven't gone back to get that fixed yet.

here are some videos i posted of ours parked in garage and not being driven, and with fan speed on 1. look at post #177 on this thread - maybe you can compare and see if that's what yours sounds like. Very loud fan noise from frunk area with AC on...

they told me that it's normal for an X.

I would have to say that is a load of poo. As @alcibiades mentioned, I would push back and escalate the issue to get it resolved.

Admittedly, I don't know exactly how loud yours is... but I think we can all determine what 'too loud' would sound like. This being said, one caveat for recent ICE defectors is this (not assuming any reader here is ignorant to this point): The A/C unit does make some noise, and if there is quite a load on the system (i.e., cabin temp over 100deg, and the setting is 68deg) the A/C unit will be really humming along. This is normal. It's just exacerbated by the lack of a rumbling engine to drown out the compressor.

BUT... it shouldn't be so loud as to necessitate cranking the volume of the radio and/or raising voices to talk.

I hope you have luck escalating your A/C issue!